New Eagle Conversion

More
17 Feb 2017 17:13 #88127 by lakeweb
Replied by lakeweb on topic New Eagle Conversion
Yes, I will do that. It will solve the balance issue. I'm working through the machine box right now. There had been hacks in there. I even found where someone tied the three phase power to the single phase side. That blew my mind. If this thing had ever been hooked to real three phase, there would have been smoke. So I removed anything that looked like a hack and I'm mapping out the relay board. There is a pneumatic spindle brake, spindle, and coolant. The brake was not functional when I got it. It won't take too long to wrap that up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2017 01:42 #88150 by lakeweb
Ok, I have the machine stuff wired. I just hooked all five relays up even though I'll only be using three to start. And it makes the most sense to use the servo power. That is the only thing that would stop the likes of a 25 year old FET shorting out.

I'm going back out to try and figure out that ferror...

Best, Dan.

More
18 Feb 2017 02:32 #88152 by lakeweb
Update:
If I move at 40ipm it stays almost within .25mV. I still don't know what that means in inches, but inside the noise band, I'm guessing that is as good as it gets. At 50ipm I get that ferror ramp. The output goes to 2V and I have the max set at 3 volts.

And how do you enable the field power from the halcmd? I'd like to test all the relays there.

Thanks, Dan.

More
18 Feb 2017 02:42 #88153 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic New Eagle Conversion
You really should not do anything before finding PIN8 on each servo amp and wiring that to Mesa 7i77 amp enables.
As PCW stated several times, it is a safety feature and the only safe way to operate a machine properly. You will thank us the first time you see a motor flying off and Linuxcnc shutting it down instantly to prevent damage. By the time you press e-stop it would have already done the damage. Cutting power to drives about 200 to 300 times a day is not good, and you will have to do that while tuning.
As a side note, i am writing a detailed how to for servo tuning with lots of related info, should have it online by tomorrow night.
Regards,
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: lakeweb

More
18 Feb 2017 03:17 #88155 by lakeweb
Hi Tom,
Thanks. I do believe that if I don't want to rapid faster than 40ipm this thing is tuned. This guy made it pretty easy. Yea, I don't like powering the servos up and down much. But at this point it should only happen per session. I'm going to carve the demo in wood tomorrow. I've done an air cutting of it a few times. My son is getting a bit excited, we both have Fusion 360 licenses. I feel a new age coming for us! But the kid already does amazing work with a manual mill. The only cnc he as now is a plasma table.

And when it moves it is so quiet, just a whoosss. I'm please with this conversion.

Best, Dan.

More
18 Feb 2017 18:14 #88177 by tommylight
Glad you got it tuned, That can be agravating at times. It took me 2 days the first time i tuned a servo, now it takes about half hour for the entire machine, with ferror in ini file left at default 1mm.
JT's tutorial was the first and most important for geting to that point, so thank you very much JT.

More
18 Feb 2017 18:22 - 18 Feb 2017 18:42 #88178 by lakeweb
Update:
I read that you could just halcmd while LinuxCNC is running. I have a spindle, turns both ways and coolant now. The relay board does interlocking so you can't engage both contactors at the same time and there is a delay relay to the spindle so it can't be reversed too quickly. It also switches the coolant off if the spindle is off. I can't believe what some folks want for these boards .

Here is my X. I guess I won't really know just how much error there is until I cut the likes of a precision circle.

It looks like that little start blip is because I have not balanced for an active output yet..

On my top speed, I'll figure it out eventually, I hope. A scope on the output and it matches the pid.0.output at 1.5 volts. ???

I see this morning there is another active thread with a guy doing pretty much what I did.
~~~~
Hi Tom,
Looks like we posted at the same time! Yea, this whole thing has been a real learning curve. To boot for me, I've spent more time using linux in the last week than I've used it in my entire previous life. I got some steppers working a couple of years ago and played with the beagle board black. But I have a decent backgournd with programing and electronics. If I didn't, doing this would not have been possible! :)

Best, Dan.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2017 18:42 by lakeweb.

More
18 Feb 2017 22:36 #88197 by lakeweb

But I still can not figure out why I can't run faster. It is pretty hard to get the right google search for this one.

Oh yea, I thought that was pretty cool how LinuxCNC added the spindle switch to the UI when I added it to the hal file.

Best, Dan.

More
18 Feb 2017 22:52 #88202 by tommylight
What happens when you try to run faster ? Your running shoes come off ?!?!?! :)
If you are getting ferrors at faster speeds, you have to do more tuning, like really small changes to FF1, really really small changes, and maybe just maybe a tiny bit of FF2 for that jump at the start of a move, but i would avoid using FF2 it usually just makes things worse.

More
18 Feb 2017 23:33 #88207 by lakeweb
I've been through a lot of shoes this week. But I found it! The hint was that ferror was beautiful until I hit some magic number, and the number was 2. It was MAX_OUTPUT. So I'll have to read, what is the difference between MAX_OUTPUT and MAX_VELOCITY. Because I was making sure I had headroom with MAX_VELOCITY and thought I was ok.

Thanks for making me take another look.

Best, Dan.

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds