MPS MicroMill 2000HD/LE

More
22 Mar 2019 11:02 #129247 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic MPS MicroMill 2000HD/LE
Just to eleborate. LinuxCNC won't lose steps, but if the dither becomes bad enough the pulse rate might vary enough that the motor loses steps. This will only ever happen at very high step rates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, ant0ny

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2019 21:14 - 14 Oct 2019 21:16 #147888 by ant0ny
Replied by ant0ny on topic MPS MicroMill 2000HD/LE
I have been using my little mill doing small jobs. I bought the collet adapter form Taig so I now have a ER16 collet.

On the weekend I had a 9mm end mill going through a 2020 Aluminum Extrusion just manually and I managed to stall the motor fairly easily.

I have been looking at the 1.5Kw Spindles and VFD from China with a ER16 collet. Would these have more power than the 1/8hp 3000rpm motor belt drive original setup I have? On paper it sounds like it does but does it in the real world?

The 1.5Kw setup weighs 4Kg according to spec sheet which by the time I make a bracket and fill will coolant will be about the same as the 4.8kg setup of the original motor/drive/brackets.

The 2.2Kw spindles seem to be about 5 - 6kgs which is another Question what sort of weight would I be able to run on my Z axis? how would I find out?

My aim is to be able to mill Aluminum with a 10mm cutter. Don't need to do big cuts as time is not an issue for the type of work it does.

Does anyone have any thoughts on if 1.5Kw (or lesser like a 0.8Kw) spindle is capable?
Last edit: 14 Oct 2019 21:16 by ant0ny.

More
15 Oct 2019 16:34 #147937 by andypugh
1/8 hp = 100W. So a 1500W spindle would be a _lot_ more powerful.
The 0.8KW would be 8 x more powerful and might be a better match for the machine.
Playing around in FSWizard on my phone, for a 10mm cutter you would typically use 13,000 rpm and would need 1.5 Hp. So if you really want to use the 10mm then the 1.5kW would be closer. (though you might prefer 6mm cutters, 25,000 rpm and HSM toolpaths)

More
15 Oct 2019 21:21 - 15 Oct 2019 21:22 #147950 by ant0ny
Andy, thanks for the info and ah yes 1.5Kw is overkill maybe.

Hmmmm maybe I should look at those 500watt ones that are less than half the cost. At that price I would be almost happy to put it as side and go bigger later if I found I needed more later.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2019 21:22 by ant0ny.

More
25 Oct 2019 23:27 #148804 by ant0ny
Ok I bought one of those Consew motors and fitted it with the Pot replacing the foot switch.

Just need to fit a new pulley and a PU belt and I am done.

I must say for $105 delivered that would be the cheapest upgrade that not only is lighter than the original motor but is 550W and I can control the speed from 100 to 4000rpm (goes to 4500 but i limited it).

I will connect it to the LinuxCNC at some stage and have ordered the parts recommended but to be honest is already 1000 times better.

Attachments:

More
29 Feb 2020 06:02 #158795 by ant0ny
I have developed a weird issue. I can't run the consew spindle setup and the cnc on the same power circuit outlet. I get the axis moving when the spindle runs... as soon as stop the spindle the axis stops.

If I run a power lead to another power point on the same circuit it can work fine sometimes but I have had a day where I have had to run to another circuit on another phase... I have 3 phase and the meter box outside my shop has a power point which is on a separate circuit to my shop.

Why would I be getting this? and why would it be not always consistently the same?

Would there be a RF type of filter I can put on the power lead?

More
29 Feb 2020 09:43 #158797 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic MPS MicroMill 2000HD/LE

I have developed a weird issue. I can't run the consew spindle setup and the cnc on the same power circuit outlet. I get the axis moving when the spindle runs... as soon as stop the spindle the axis stops.

There is something very wrong with your installation, be it electrical or electronics.
First thing to check is proper grounding, 3 prong power sockets if using single phase.
After you make sure the grounding is OK, you can add ferite filters to the spindle cable, make sure those cables are as far as possible from the rest of the electronics like drives and controller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ant0ny

More
29 Feb 2020 21:17 #158843 by andypugh
VFDs often need a filter on their power supply, but if that was the problem it would always have been present.
So I echo the suggestion to check the ground/earth wires of all your plugs.

Power filters are not expensive though. Have a look on eBay for "Rasmi" (one manufacturer, but the name is a good search term)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Feb 2020 23:22 #158851 by ant0ny
Yeah I found a tutorial on youtube about VFD and adding a filter on the power supply to the VFD and Ferrite Transformer Cores on the lead from the VFD to the motor.

I will also check the earths as Tommy suggested because I am sure when I first used it I didn't have the issue but maybe wiring in the variable pot I caused an issue with the earth.

Or thinking about it putting the controller up on the machine the proximity being closer that is causing it.

More
17 Aug 2020 22:38 - 17 Aug 2020 22:39 #178543 by ant0ny
Just a follow up.

I did do the filter on the power supply to the VFD and Ferrite Transformer Cores on the lead to my controller and it works flawlessly now.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2020 22:39 by ant0ny.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds