I am stuck with Biesse Rover 322 retrofit

More
16 Nov 2020 19:12 - 16 Nov 2020 19:13 #189531 by viesturs.lacis
I managed to get the encoder signal back to Mesa board and LinuxCNC. Turned out to be a lose wire, my bad.

Now I have a situation that trying to jog a motor leads to a big jump.
My problem is that as I have read the tutorial , the first thing I tried was changing the sign of "output scale", but that does not help. Motor of Y axis still makes the jump. Is there any other potential cause for such behavior?
One thing that makes me think that there might be some bug, is that in INI file I manually entered "max output = 6, output scale = 6". Saved the file, started LinuxCNC, opened "calibration" and there I see "output scale = 1, max output = 6". If I close LinuxCNC and open INI file in text editor, I see "max output = 6, output scale = 6".
What I did was connected pwmgen-value to a slider widget in pyvcp panel and manually set the pwmgen-value to a very low number, like 0,003. Motor movement is really slow and smooth. That means that it is all about my config. Positive pwmgen-value brings moves the motor in negative direction. And vice versa. That makes me think that "output scale" should be negative to reverse this. Encoder works correctly. Is that correct? But the motor still makes a jump, if I try to jog it.
BTW is it important, in which direction does the motor jump? I mean, if I try jog in positive direction, does it matter, if the jump is in negative direction?
There is only one config - there is only one folder in "configs" and there is only one INI file in that folder, so that excludes possibility that I run LinuxCNC with one config and try to edit another config. Any ideas, how to check, what am I doing wrong?
Last edit: 16 Nov 2020 19:13 by viesturs.lacis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2020 19:35 #189533 by tommylight

One thing that makes me think that there might be some bug, is that in INI file I manually entered "max output = 6, output scale = 6". Saved the file, started LinuxCNC, opened "calibration" and there I see "output scale = 1, max output = 6". If I close LinuxCNC and open INI file in text editor, I see "max output = 6, output scale = 6".

Thaty is only possible if:
editing the wrong file :)
editing the wrong joint.

More
16 Nov 2020 20:13 #189538 by bevins
Why are you not using the +-10v speed ref?

More
16 Nov 2020 20:25 #189541 by viesturs.lacis

Why are you not using the +-10v speed ref?

I am not 100% sure I understand your question right.
At first I thought that the analog input goes to main analog signal of servodrive, which is +/- 6V. When I disassembled that big connector to trace some wires (because I got the pinout from manual and wanted to know, which wire is which as I do not have electric schemes), I noticed that main analog input pins are soldered together and machine originally is using auxilliary analog input. Which is +2...+10 or -2...-10V, which seems to be a strange range of analog signal to me. But that value of output scale and max output does not really matter, if I increase both of them proportionally, e.g. if both are 10 or 6, it is the same, so I did not bother to change as that would not make much difference. I will try tomorrow and then I will report back.
What is designed max velocity of these Biesse machines? What can I expect? I got X axis to 45 m/min and pwmgen value reached around 0,5. Does that mean that machine is meant to move approximately 2x faster? I am not sure, how to try for higher speeds, because the X axis length seems like little too small for jogging during tuning for such high speeds. What are other people getting out of their Biesse retrofits?

More
16 Nov 2020 20:33 - 16 Nov 2020 20:40 #189544 by bevins
I got mine to run up to 900 inches per minute. I stopped after that. Of course I don't run or cut at that speed I usually at 300-400 inches per minute. IF your getting 45m per minute that is fast and you would probably not get it up to that speed. Not long enough machine....

I think I have my max velocity around 600. At least that is what I am rapiding at with my Biesse 346. Same drive and motors as you so I would think you could get the same.

You are scaling your output to 6volts? I don't know if that's how it works if so you are losing speed. If not then your max 6 you are losing resolution I would think. Not sure how that works.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2020 20:40 by bevins.

More
17 Nov 2020 13:07 - 17 Nov 2020 13:08 #189587 by viesturs.lacis

Thaty is only possible if:
editing the wrong file :)
editing the wrong joint.

Also possible, if there is a bug - take a look at this video :

There is only one config and only one INI file. Output scale value does not get imported, so it defaults it to 1.
If I change it in "calibration" and save to file, it gets written to INI file. But it is not read after LinuxCNC restart. It is 1 again.
Any idea, how to resolve? Should I update to 2.8.0?
Last edit: 17 Nov 2020 13:08 by viesturs.lacis.

More
17 Nov 2020 13:26 #189590 by tommylight
Maybe because output_scale can not be negative value ?

More
17 Nov 2020 13:43 - 17 Nov 2020 13:45 #189591 by bevins

Output scale can be negative. At least with 7i76 and 7i77.
Where is his Output_Min? Maybe its that card is different config than what I am used to.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2020 13:45 by bevins.

More
17 Nov 2020 16:20 #189600 by viesturs.lacis

Output scale can be negative. At least with 7i76 and 7i77.
Where is his Output_Min? Maybe its that card is different config than what I am used to.

pwmgen parameters and pins are not dependent on particular Mesa card. output scale can be negative - that is the only way to invert the voltage of analog output.
yes, it seems that I do not have defined min-output anywhere. do i need it? I would think that it defaults to negative value of 'max-output' ,but that is just my guess.
anyway, it was something about my config. I rewrote it from scratch and everything seems to be working correctly, I can jog all the motors. I will just finetune PID settings when it will be quiet in the building - I would like to be able to hear, what the machine is doing.
now I am wiring signals for VFD - analog voltage, as well as 'run' and 'stop' commands

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds