Age of the website and forum

More
14 Oct 2024 16:10 #312071 by Muecke
-- EN
Hello everyone,

I am aware that this is not a pleasant topic and that some things do not always work as they should. Above all, there is a lot of work behind it, and for that I would like to thank everyone who actively supports here.

However, I have noticed that a Joomla version 3.10.xx is still being used for which there is no longer any support or security updates. If I see it correctly, the forum (Kunena) is not up to date either.

Yes, moving to a new Kunena forum is tricky to almost impossible, and even upgrading Joomla to the current version 5 doesn't seem feasible without moving the forum.

Nevertheless, I wanted to address this topic without anyone feeling offended - quite the opposite. I just want to encourage a conversation about it.

I would be interested to know whether an upgrade is being considered or what the plans are for the forum in general. Because there will probably not be much support from Joomla or Kunena.

Greetings Mücke
Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

-- DE
Hallo zusammen,

ich bin mir bewusst, dass dies kein angenehmes Thema ist und dass manche Dinge nicht immer so funktionieren, wie sie sollten. Vor allem steckt viel Arbeit dahinter, und dafür möchte ich mich ausdrücklich bei allen bedanken, die hier tatkräftig unterstützen.
Allerdings ist mir aufgefallen, dass immer noch eine Joomla-Version 3.10.xx verwendet wird, für die es keinen Support und auch keine Sicherheitsupdates mehr gibt. Wenn ich es richtig sehe, ist auch das Forum (Kunena) nicht auf dem neuesten Stand.
Ja, ein Umzug auf ein neues Kunena-Forum ist heikel bis fast unmöglich, und auch ein Upgrade von Joomla auf die aktuelle Version 5 scheint ohne einen Umzug des Forums nicht realisierbar.
Trotzdem wollte ich dieses Thema ansprechen, ohne dass sich jemand angegriffen fühlen soll – ganz im Gegenteil. Ich möchte lediglich ein Gespräch darüber anregen.
Mich würde interessieren, ob ein Upgrade angedacht ist oder wie die Pläne für das Forum generell aussehen. Denn von Seiten Joomla oder Kunena wird es wohl keine große Unterstützung mehr geben.
 Gruß Mücke

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2024 18:12 #312085 by Todd Zuercher
It has been quite a number of years since the forum was last updated. However I feel that the forum user interface seemed much less buggy to me as an end user before that upgrade. I'm guessing that the pain of the last redo has very much discouraged anyone from attempting it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muecke

More
14 Oct 2024 18:14 #312086 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Age of the website and forum
It's not that the future of this forum is really a community decision but there have been offers to try to migrate it (just like the buildbot infrastructure), no one has ever been taken up on it.

Generally the whole project is running on aging volunteers maintaining aging infrastructure. Whether it's the forum, the buildbot, the wiki, or the source code itself.

In my opinion, if somebody wants to modernize anything they will (most likely) simply have to setup something and see if the crowd follows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Muecke

More
15 Oct 2024 11:08 - 15 Oct 2024 11:19 #312141 by JT
Replied by JT on topic Age of the website and forum
I think most of the assumptions made about the devs is not correct. While I have the keys to do upgrades I don't have the knowledge to do that. I also don't have the knowledge to create a new bubble with more recent OS. Out of concerns of not breaking the forum I choose to not try any major upgrade. The devs that set up the forum, wiki and the home page have long since moved on so they can't help.

Error
We have detected that your server is using PHP 7.4.3-4ubuntu2.22 which is obsolete and no longer receives official security updates by its developers. The Joomla! Project recommends upgrading your site to PHP 8.1 or later which will receive security updates at least until 2024-11-25. Please ask your host to make PHP 8.1 or a later version the default version for your site. If your host is already PHP 8.1 ready please enable PHP 8.1 on your site's root and 'administrator' directories – typically you can do this yourself through a tool in your hosting control panel, but it's best to ask your host if you are unsure.

Support has ended for your version of Joomla 3.10. Migrate to Joomla 4 as soon as possible.

Here in lies a problem because I don't have access to the server for the forum so I can't ask them up change the PHP.

Edit: I can ssh into the forum as root and upgrade the OS and I do that when I think about it.

JT
Last edit: 15 Oct 2024 11:19 by JT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aciera

More
15 Oct 2024 11:11 #312142 by JT

It's not that the future of this forum is really a community decision but there have been offers to try to migrate it (just like the buildbot infrastructure), no one has ever been taken up on it.

Generally the whole project is running on aging volunteers maintaining aging infrastructure. Whether it's the forum, the buildbot, the wiki, or the source code itself.

In my opinion, if somebody wants to modernize anything they will (most likely) simply have to setup something and see if the crowd follows.

I've never seen offers to migrate the forum only complaints about the editor. The buildbot is maintained by one person Seb and he has upgraded it a couple of years ago.

JT

More
15 Oct 2024 12:27 - 15 Oct 2024 12:46 #312146 by Aciera
Replied by Aciera on topic Age of the website and forum

I think most of the assumptions made about the devs is not correct. While I have the keys to do upgrades I don't have the knowledge to do that. I also don't have the knowledge to create a new bubble with more recent OS. Out of concerns of not breaking the forum I choose to not try any major upgrade. The devs that set up the forum, wiki and the home page have long since moved on so they can't help.

Thanks for that statement. I was actually not aware of the fact that you have kind of been left with it like that. Reminds me of the situation that the release 'team' actually consists of only a single person who has been trying to resign from that post for a while now.
In that case it would seem the best to just encourage whoever has the motivation to setup a new forum so this one can finally be retired, whether the content can be migrated or not. 

I've never seen offers to migrate the forum only complaints about the editor.

forum.linuxcnc.org/36-using-this-forum-q...ourse?start=0#263279

I read this as an offer (mind you, at that time I was not aware that the forum had been kind of dumped on you):

I would be willing to take on the effort of trialing hosting this forum and migrating the old posts and users, but I would need read-only access to the Kunena DB, attachments, and configuration files. I’ll pay for the VM while I work on this. I figure I run through the import, work out the kinks, let a few people try the new forum, and then we do it all again for real, if we decide we like it.

Last edit: 15 Oct 2024 12:46 by Aciera.

More
15 Oct 2024 12:52 #312149 by Muecke
Replied by Muecke on topic Age of the website and forum
Thanks to @JT! I didn't realise it was all down to one person!
I only have a small website without a forum and that's a lot of work. Thank you for doing all this and keeping it running.

Just installing and setting it up is not enough, as you say, there is a lot of work to be done.

I've read a lot in the forum and I think I've also read that one or two people have offered to set up a new forum, but I can't find it anymore.

Installing and setting up a forum should be quite easy, the only question is on which server to do it and who will take over the maintenance in the future. (Unfortunately, I don't have the time (or the knowledge) to take over the maintenance)

I can ssh into the forum as root and upgrade the OS and I do that when I think about it.

I don't understand that.

More
15 Oct 2024 13:31 #312152 by JT

Thanks for that statement. I was actually not aware of the fact that you have kind of been left with it like that. Reminds me of the situation that the release 'team' actually consists of only a single person who has been trying to resign from that post for a while now.
In that case it would seem the best to just encourage whoever has the motivation to setup a new forum so this one can finally be retired, whether the content can be migrated or not. 

I've never seen offers to migrate the forum only complaints about the editor.

forum.linuxcnc.org/36-using-this-forum-q...ourse?start=0#263279

I read this as an offer (mind you, at that time I was not aware that the forum had been kind of dumped on you):

I would be willing to take on the effort of trialing hosting this forum and migrating the old posts and users, but I would need read-only access to the Kunena DB, attachments, and configuration files. I’ll pay for the VM while I work on this. I figure I run through the import, work out the kinks, let a few people try the new forum, and then we do it all again for real, if we decide we like it.

I would be willing to take on the effort of trialing hosting this forum and migrating the old posts and users, but I would need read-only access to the Kunena DB, attachments, and configuration files.

And here is another problem, I've never found the database or any attachments in the Kunena interface. I have a few web sites and the database is only in the hosting interface.

I admit I don't read all the posts because I just don't have the time.

JT

More
15 Oct 2024 13:33 #312153 by JT

Thanks to @JT! I didn't realise it was all down to one person!
I only have a small website without a forum and that's a lot of work. Thank you for doing all this and keeping it running.

Just installing and setting it up is not enough, as you say, there is a lot of work to be done.

I've read a lot in the forum and I think I've also read that one or two people have offered to set up a new forum, but I can't find it anymore.

Installing and setting up a forum should be quite easy, the only question is on which server to do it and who will take over the maintenance in the future. (Unfortunately, I don't have the time (or the knowledge) to take over the maintenance)

I can ssh into the forum as root and upgrade the OS and I do that when I think about it.
I don't understand that.

To update the Ubuntu OS which the forum is using I have to ssh into the remote as root and do the same things you would do on a local pc like apt update, apt dist-upgrade, apt autoremove, apt clean then reboot

JT

More
15 Oct 2024 13:45 #312156 by Muecke
Replied by Muecke on topic Age of the website and forum
@JT, ah I see, the forum and the website are on an "own" server not with a hosting company.
My website is at Strato.de, they offer me a ready-made, up-to-date server on which I can install my website (Joomla).
So it's not just about the website and the forum, but about the complete server itself.

Where is this server located? In a company? University, at someone's home?

I can just see how big it is. ...

@ Aciera . Yes, I have read that. Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds