Split *.po files + Weblate manual

More
21 Aug 2022 20:57 #250158 by zz912
I had Pull Request.
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/1896

In the chat of this Pull Request, there was a discussion about splitting *.pot files into multiple files. I cut this discussion short because we were getting off topic about the Pull Request. However, I would like to continue the discussion here.

(For those of you who are not familiar with LinuxCNC translation issues. *.pot files are used to generate *.po files in which the translation for a specific file is stored)

The following *.pot files currently exist:
linuxcnc.pot
gmoccapy.pot
documentation.pot
and some *.pot file for the Glossary ???

I was translating the gmoccapy.pot file for LCNC version 2.8. It was a great job because I was working with a small file. I think that Norbert Schechner was ahead of his time and that this is how the linuxcnc.pot file should be split.

Currently, linuxcnc.pot contains everything:
PNCconf
stepconf
AXIS gui
plasma gui
pyVCP
just everything

If someone will only translate phrases without seeing how they appear in the program, then one file will not bother him. But the resulting translation will be wrong. I can't imagine being tasked with translating the AXIS gui for example.

My work style is to run the program in the original language and look for strings in the *.po file that I want to translate. Once I translate a window, I compile the program and see how it looks translated.

If we could agree on splitting the linuxcnc.pot file, I can help with that. At the same time, this division would only concern master version 2.9

Another problem is zero documentation for using weblate.
linuxcnc.org/2022/06/04/Docs-in-Weblate/
"You can help!" - that's too little information

I can help with that too, but I have to figure out how to work as a translator myself. I set up an account on weblate and I believe that I will gradually learn how to work with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2022 21:10 #250161 by HansU
As I said I like this idea. But that would lead to a lot of so called components in Weblate (currently we have four: linuxcnc, gmoccapy, documentation and glossary). And these components have to be maintained more or less separately, which leads to a higher maintaining workload when having one for each GUI. Maybe we can group some, I don't know. I think there is some investigation needed.

More
24 Aug 2022 18:36 #250338 by zz912
I looked where is PYI18NSRCS
zdenek@CNC:~/linuxcnc/linuxcnc-2.9$ grep -R 'PYI18NSRCS'
src/po/Submakefile:po/linuxcnc.pot: $(PYI18NSRCS)
src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf/Submakefile:PYI18NSRCS += emc/usr_intf/stepconf/stepconf.py $(patsubst %,emc/usr_intf/stepconf/%.py,$(STEPCONF_MODULES)) \
src/emc/usr_intf/pncconf/Submakefile:PYI18NSRCS += emc/usr_intf/pncconf/pncconf.py $(patsubst %,emc/usr_intf/pncconf/%.py,$(PNCCONF_MODULES)) \
src/emc/usr_intf/axis/Submakefile:PYI18NSRCS += $(addprefix emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts/, $(PYSCRIPTS))  \
src/emc/usr_intf/mdro/Submakefile:PYI18NSRCS += emc/usr_intf/mdro/mdro.py
src/emc/usr_intf/gremlin/Submakefile:PYI18NSRCS += emc/usr_intf/gremlin/gremlin.py
src/emc/usr_intf/touchy/Submakefile:PYI18NSRCS += emc/usr_intf/touchy/touchy.py $(patsubst %,emc/usr_intf/touchy/%.py,$(TOUCHY_MODULES)) \
src/emc/usr_intf/gscreen/Submakefile:PYI18NSRCS += emc/usr_intf/gscreen/gscreen.py $(patsubst %,emc/usr_intf/gscreen/%.py,$(GSCREEN_MODULES)) \
src/emc/usr_intf/gmoccapy/Submakefile:#PYI18NSRCS += emc/usr_intf/gmoccapy/gmoccapy.py $(patsubst %,emc/usr_intf/gmoccapy/%.py,$(GMOCCAPY_MODULES)) \

So we have:
generators:
- stepconf/Submakefile
- pncconf/Submakefile

moduls:
- gremlin/Submakefile
- mdro/Submakefile

guis:
- axis/Submakefile
- touchy/Submakefile
- gscreen/Submakefile
- gmoccapy/Submakefile

Is it all translatable stuff?
I would like everything to have *.po files. However, I can't imagine what the work with weblate maintenance entails.

and gladevcp:
- /lib/python/gladevcp/

Now gladevcp is in Gmoccapy. Is it OK? I think that gladevcp stuffs are in more gui. How is it solved?

More
13 Sep 2022 10:56 #251797 by zz912
I have a few question for Weblate:
- exist way work in some" workspace" and after checking release it for other?
- how to check my translation in built LinuxCNC ?

I dont want  translate strings without checking.
This is just a shame that all users enjoy. For example, Autodesk Inventor in the first versions had crazy translations into Czech. "The heap is full." If you wanted make "check in" = "vrátit" you had to click on "check out" = "vydat" and so on.

More
17 Sep 2022 19:40 #252201 by andypugh
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but "the heap is full" is actually a good translation.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_dynamic_memory_allocation#Heap-based
(or.possibly, in a CAD package) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heap_(data_structure)

More
18 Sep 2022 08:14 #252245 by HansU
The translations are first committed to Weblate's repository:  hosted.weblate.org/git/linuxcnc/linuxcnc/ .
So you can checkout this and verify locally before it gets merged.

Time to create page: 0.584 seconds