Issue with step servo setup - x-axis cutting skewd

More
02 Jun 2011 04:39 #10256 by PCW
Some ini files use the STEPGEN_MAXACCEL variable to set the hardware stepgens max acceleration limit but if you started with the hm2-stepper config then you probably have this line in your HAL file:

setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.stepgen.00.maxaccel 0

instead of

setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.stepgen.00.maxaccel [AXIS0] STEPGEN_MAXACCEL0

In which case you only have the MAX_ACCELERATION to set

Have you tried setting G64 PXX with the higher acceleration?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2011 07:00 #10257 by crmb
Unfortunately yes, with the increased acceleration it's still offsetting the cuts even with G64 P0.001 :(

I've tried multiple cam software. Same issue.

Incremental, and absolute position mode (same result).

Slowed everything down to crawl (same result).

I layed down a flat ruler across the table and jogged the machine incrementally by 1" and it was consistently on each following inch marker as expected.

More
02 Jun 2011 11:16 #10258 by BigJohnT
One possible explanation is you have some backlash somewhere in your machine. New belts on worn pulleys won't eliminate backlash. Put a dial indicator on each axis and jog in 0.001" steps in one direction till the dial is stable then jog back in steps till the needle moves and that is your backlash. On my timing belt driven plasma I have <0.005" backlash which is fine for plasma cutting.

If running the same file with G61 (exact path) gives you the same result then it is not software related.

John

More
02 Jun 2011 11:58 #10263 by andypugh
crmb wrote:

It does seem to change with acceleration. That seems to be the only thing that effects it. If I were to cut 10 of those squares, they would all be exactly the same incorrect.

I think the first stage needs to be to work out if the torch is being told to go to the wrong place, and going there, or not going where it is told.

This is a bit of a fiddle, but it should be possible to set up Halscope to store the axis.0.position-cmd and axis.1.position-cmd values (under "pins"). I think you can then export the halscope trace, then re-plot it as an XY plot (in excel for example) and see if it is commanded skew (perhaps due to some peculiar tool offset) or some problem with the drive system.

You _might_ be able to work it out by staring at the DRO.

Is it worth trying the cuts in "exact path mode" (G61, www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gcode_main...#sub:G61,-G61.1,-G64:)
The only reason I ask is that there is some interaction between actual position and acceleration in G64 mode, but you wouldn't expect it to cause this problem.

More
02 Jun 2011 14:14 #10266 by PCW
Can you single step through your program (torch off)?

Maybe rig up a felt tip pen

If you rotate the part 90 degrees in CAM (so the hole lead-ins start 90 degrees to where they are now) is the error in the same direction?

If its still in the same direction with a rotated part I would start to suspect the mechanics

More
02 Jun 2011 17:03 #10269 by crmb
Backlash suggestion got me thinking about the gear racks. We are going to tear down the x-axis drive system today, pull it completely apart and inspect for wear. It has a center mounted servo/double belt reduction which drives a center drive shaft that distributes power to spur gears on each side of the machine. I'm hoping we find some hobbed over gears or something that would make sense of this. If not, then I guess we will try to measure the backlash that's present in the system. Where do we enter this for the system to account for it?

I ran a number of tests last night including cutting flanges that are specifically shaped for one direction to test skew when I rotated them 90 degrees and the error was always in the x-direction. So if I cut two parts 1 rotated 90 degrees from the other, the error was completely different for each part (all towards x).

I will try the G61 mode today.

I stepped through a program last night and marked all of the piece points with a pen, but somehow I was getting tired and didn't think to run it again to double check the positioning. doh

More
02 Jun 2011 17:41 #10271 by BigJohnT
While it is best to reduce backlash to an acceptable level if not possible you can add a backlash setting for each axis. Obviously this is not the best solution as on each direction change the motor will be driven at top speed to the other side of the backlash setting. Take a look in the Integrators Manual in the INI AXIS section for details.

A rather simple test for backlash can be done by putting some movable object like a bit angle up against the torch and move toward it till you see it move then away 0.001" at a click till you see light between the two. Crude but effective for the X and Y axis of a plasma.

John

More
03 Jun 2011 03:59 #10282 by crmb
Well we tore it down to find that the tension on each side of the gear racks wasn't evenly set - one was loose and one was tight. We tried digging through the old komatsu manuals but fell short of a torque setting so we tried blindly just tightening down the loose one, which chattered like a monster and gave us the most incredible offset ever... Then we backed them all off, pulled out the digital torque wrench and started with 20 ft*lb which chattered a little, but ended up settling on 30ft*lb of torque which is relatively quiet.

I had them take 6-8 backlash readings with different jog speeds and different locations on the machine, but we got ~0.003 backlash on y and ~0.0055 on x. These are average values. We checked the .ini and hal files and they do not have backlash settings in them so I'm going to add try adding them tonight and retesting.

So..

[axis 0]
backlash = 0.0055

?

More
03 Jun 2011 11:37 #10286 by BigJohnT

More
03 Jun 2011 17:26 #10289 by crmb
We applied the correct backlash compensation to each axis but the results are still offset. :(

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds