Issue with step servo setup - x-axis cutting skewd

More
03 Jun 2011 18:16 #10290 by PCW
More grasping at straws:

I would almost think a loose coupling could do this but it seems so repeatable which makes this not too likely.

Since this is always on the X axis, maybe it would be worth the trouble to bring the X axis encoder into EMC and see how well the step/dir drives are following the commanded position. Also what is the value of the following error limit in the drives?

Dynamic (acceleration dependent for example) errors could be tuning related. Any amount of integral term in the drives control loop will zero out static errors (and thats all you measure manually), but the drives PID loop must be properly tuned for dynamic performance. Monitoring some x axis moves in HALScope, looking at commanded position and encoder position (scaled so they are the same) would allow checking the dynamic drive performance.

Could this be the result of a tilted Z Axis and slightly different heights for the various cuts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2011 19:42 #10291 by BigJohnT
After you applied the backlash compensation did you test the X axis to see that it is correctly compensated?

John

More
03 Jun 2011 21:35 #10295 by andypugh
crmb wrote:

We applied the correct backlash compensation to each axis but the results are still offset. :(

If you stop the g-code after the bottom-left hole and after the top-right hole, and compare the X-axis positions (in machine coordinates, ie press # to toggle the DRO view) do the numbers look right?

Once we work out if it is a command error or a response error then the problem is half as difficult.

(there is no chance that the work is moving?)

More
17 Jul 2011 03:18 #11576 by crmb
Does anyone have an example configuration using encoders for position feedback when driving with step/dir signals? I want to continue to run this in position mode and let the servo drives handle the auto tuning and position, but I want the control to error out if the drives lose position as they have been with these mechanical issues. The encoders are 2000pp/r, and I would be hooking them up through the mesa board.

As for our original problem - we think we've solved it by finding all the mechanical bug-a-boos that were hiding in the axis - and she's purring now - no more squaking, knocking, banging, etc. 7 of 9 bearings in the drive system (it's a centrally mounted drive that turns drive shafts to each side of the machine) were bad. We are planning on test cutting monday.

More
17 Jul 2011 10:10 #11580 by andypugh
crmb wrote:

Does anyone have an example configuration using encoders for position feedback when driving with step/dir signals?

I don't know of one, but you can probably assemble one from parts of other configs.
If you take your stepper config and paste in just the encoders from a servo config that should be close.
Basically the motor-pos-fb pins need to be driven by the encoder-position pins, rather than the stepgen-position pins as they are now.

More
17 Jul 2011 21:24 #11588 by PCW
Theres at least one example of a closed loop step/dir system in this forum (step motors driving an axis with a linear scale for feedback)
Unfortunately the forum search does not work for me or I might be able to find it
(first page is OK all subsequent pages are blank)

I think the trick was setting up the hardware stepgen in velocity mode. and using a PID loop with FF1 = 1
and a small P term to correct timebase and DIR setup/hold delays.

More
17 Jul 2011 22:16 #11590 by andypugh
Off-topic, but clicking in the address box an pressing enter normally brings up the blank pages.

I suspect it is linked to the problem that many search results come up with spammy-titles.

More
18 Jul 2011 12:58 #11598 by BigJohnT
Peter, the forum search is hosed... I wish I had access to it so I could fix it. Google site search works

stuff to search for site:http://www.linuxcnc.org

John

More
19 Jul 2011 22:40 #11660 by crmb
Guys, we set BACKLASH = 0.0047 in the .ini file in the x-axis config area, but it doesn't seem to be taking it up. No matter what we set the backlash to, it's consistently reading 0.0047. Any ideas?

More
19 Jul 2011 22:58 #11661 by BigJohnT
Attach your ini file so we can look at it.

John

Time to create page: 0.333 seconds