4 Axes Machine Questions

More
04 Sep 2011 03:59 #12944 by Todd Zuercher
I have some questions about setting up a 4 axes router with xy and2 z axes or (zw). We use the machine several different ways. Some times we run it with one head or the other as the z, sometimes we will use both heads to mill different processes on the same part (mill with one then the other), but most of the time we mill with both heads simultaneously to make two of the same part at the same time. The control software that we are using now has a command that we can use to reassign the axes lettering, L12 ZZ would make both axes move together, L12 WZ and L12 ZW would switch them. Is there a way to do the same sort of axes remapping in EMC2?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2011 13:21 #12954 by BigJohnT
Are both spindles fixed to the X axis or do they move independent of each other on the X axis?

To have both Z axes move the same the easiest is just to program Z and W on the same line to move to the same distance.

I'm sure you can switch back and forth in HAL somehow if that is really needed.

John

More
05 Sep 2011 01:00 #12968 by andypugh
You might find some of the information in this recent thread useful:

www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...w/catid,38/id,12300/

More
06 Sep 2011 04:00 #12997 by Todd Zuercher
The Z and W are together with a fixed spacing.

I haven't found an easy way to output code from our cam program we currently use (Enroute) to produce code with both z and w together (I can do just z or just w). The majority of code we are running on these machines are 2 1/2-D v-carving. This would also require regenerating the g-code for hundreds of old files, some of which I might not even be able to find the original cam files. I do know that some of our oldest files are already set up with both z and w commands, but they were done with another cam program that we no longer use (or have?? they predate my employment).

Thanks for the link. but it doesn't seem to give any definitive answers.

So can I set up an M code to cause the W head to move with the Z and its commands, and another to return it to normal separate Z and W movements? What should the hal command(s) for such an M code look like, and what other special considerations would have to be made to the hal file? While the W and Z work together I would need the W and Z to continue to use their respective machine coordinate systems (W is touched off at one number and Z is slightly different).

More
06 Sep 2011 09:48 #12998 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:4 Axes Machine Questions
It seems to me that you might look at the gantry kinematic as a starting point.
In the gantry you have two motors that can be homed seperately and then move together when running code.
If that will work for you then look at the options of running them seperately.
Of course you could also just set up two machine configurations, one with the axis slaved and one with them seperate.

Rick G

More
06 Sep 2011 11:54 #13001 by BigJohnT
If the Z and W behavior doesn't change during the run the simple way is to have 2 configs.

Another possibility would be to run a script on your g code files to add the W move.

The big question is this a stepper machine or servo?

John

More
06 Sep 2011 12:29 #13002 by andypugh
BigJohnT wrote:

The big question is this a stepper machine or servo?

If it is the machine I think it is, it's a bit of both. (step-dir servo)

More
06 Sep 2011 12:38 #13003 by andypugh
Rick G wrote:

It seems to me that you might look at the gantry kinematic as a starting point.

Gantrykins appears to allow you to switch axis assignments on-the-fly.
So, to hook W to W, you would use an M100 like
#!/bin/sh
halcmd setp gantrykins.joint-8 8

And to slave it to X M101 like:
#!/bin/sh
halcmd setp gantrykins.joint-8 0

This is untested. If it doesn't work it can be made to work. (possibly with a tweaked version of trivkins instead)

More
06 Sep 2011 13:01 #13004 by Todd Zuercher
The machine(s) are old Digital Tool routers, and they are plain steppers. The other machine Andy helped me set up with step/dir servos is only 3 axis.

My main consern about setting up the W slaved, is that I would still need to be able to jog and touch off the Z and W seperately, to set and adjust the depth on the tools. Would I still be able to do this in a configuration with them slaved using gantrykins? I need to go read up on gantrykins I realy haven't looked at it at all yet.

More
06 Sep 2011 13:26 #13005 by andypugh
Todd Zuercher wrote:

My main consern about setting up the W slaved, is that I would still need to be able to jog and touch off the Z and W seperately, to set and adjust the depth on the tools. Would I still be able to do this in a configuration with them slaved using gantrykins? I need to go read up on gantrykins I realy haven't looked at it at all yet.

I know that you can jog individually, even when slaved in Gantrykins, by switching to joint mode ($).
You should be able to experiment using the stepper-gantry sample config. (it will work without any steppers attached). Just pretend that X is Z and look at the inputs to stepgens 0 and 5(?) in halmeter or the watch window.

I don't know if you can touch-off in joint mode. I suspect not, as touch-off is an axis thing. I am not sure what the consequences of that are.

Time to create page: 0.442 seconds