Sherline Ubuntu V2.4.4 EMC2

More
20 Oct 2011 16:56 #14074 by stephencfrazier
Setting up the new PC for my Sherline mill. Installed their new Ubuntu/EMC2 utility. I am getting an error message thats says“Can’t issue MDI command when not homed”. I am looking at the Sherline4Axis_inch.ini file to see if I can turn the force homing off (per Section 3.3 EMC V2.4 User Manual) but do not see that in the TRAJ section. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2011 17:31 #14075 by BigJohnT
You just add it to the ini file in the correct section.

John

More
20 Oct 2011 19:31 #14079 by stephencfrazier
Does it matter where it that section? When I turn the driver board on, I hear/feel a soft thump coming from the stepper motors. If I run a program, the DRO starts running but the steppers don't move.

More
20 Oct 2011 21:51 #14080 by BigJohnT
As long as it is after the section tag and before the next section tag it is good.

Steppers will move to the nearest full step when the drives are powered up usually. That might be the thump you feel/hear.

That is usually something is not connected correctly. If you bump the direction back and forth with the +- keys does the stepper move one step. This usually is the step direction lines reversed.

John

More
21 Oct 2011 10:54 #14087 by Rick G

. I am getting an error message thats says“Can’t issue MDI command when not homed”.

Is there a reason you are not homing all the axis before you start?

The software limits wiil not work if you do not.

As John said the thump is normal and shows power is getting to your motors thats good and yes you probably need to check your connections and settings.

Rick G

More
21 Oct 2011 11:56 #14088 by BigJohnT
I usually turn off the homing requirement when setting up a machine just to speed up the process of testing then turn it back on once that phase is done.

John

More
24 Oct 2011 13:51 #14169 by stephencfrazier
I apologize for the slow response. I don't normally work on Friday so I am just now getting back to this.

Homing is turned off because section 3.3 of the EMC2 User Manual says it is necessary if you want to us the MINI interface which Sherline does. I get no response other than the DRO changing when I try to manually move the table through the +/- keys or the MINI interface. I tried turning No-HOme back on but had the same issues. Still getting the same MDI error message. i'm trying a complete re-install. 1st time I had it create a partition and leave the existing Windows OS in place. I completely formatted the HD this time and will see what it does. I will get back to you shortly. I am trying to get assistance from Sherline but their software support is lacking as I think they only have one guy working on it and he seems to be perpetually overwhelmed.

More
24 Oct 2011 15:19 #14173 by BigJohnT
Are you installing the Sherline version of EMC or the latest LiveCD from us?

John

More
24 Oct 2011 16:36 #14177 by stephencfrazier
The Sherline version. However, I'm game to install the Live CD from you guys. I have it burned to disk already. They are just too unreliable as far as support goes. I need something I can get help with when I need it. Are there users out there that run Sherline driver boards with your LIve CD/EMC2? Again, I appreciate your time and trouble.

More
24 Oct 2011 17:36 #14178 by BigJohnT
I think that the Sherline sample configs were some of the first configs included with EMC so yea a bunch of folks use it.

Install the LiveCD

Get all the updates by opening up the Synaptic Package Manager from the System Admin menu and pick reload and close the SPM. The update icon should light up on the menu bar. Just be sure you don't update the Ubuntu to a new version.

From the CNC menu run EMC and pick the Sherline config that matches your machine and save an icon to the desktop.

John

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds