Sherline Ubuntu V2.4.4 EMC2

More
24 Oct 2011 17:59 #14179 by stephencfrazier
Do I want 11.04 or 10.04LTS? The PC has 10.04 from the Sherline CD on it. Should I click the upgrade to 11.04? Which one do I want to run EMC2 under?

Thanks, S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2011 18:06 #14180 by BigJohnT
Just install from the EMC LiveCD which is on 10.04LTS.

John

More
24 Oct 2011 18:06 #14181 by BigJohnT
Oh, if you have anything on that computer you need to keep copy it first.

John

More
25 Oct 2011 14:41 #14232 by stephencfrazier
Have 10.04 LTS & EMC2 installed. Got the updates and have a shortcut to the Sherline config. I would never have gotten here without help from you guys. This is my first CNC mill so I am on a fast learning curve. The PC that came with the system flaking out has been a hard row to hoe. I use Sheetcam to generate my EMC G-code which has a .tap extension. Assuming this will still work? I noticed all the files have .ngc extensions.

More
25 Oct 2011 15:06 #14235 by andypugh
stephencfrazier wrote:

I use Sheetcam to generate my EMC G-code which has a .tap extension. Assuming this will still work? I noticed all the files have .ngc extensions.

You can get Sheetcam to use the .ngc extension, or you can get EMC2 to recognise .tap files. Or both. I would go for "both"

More
25 Oct 2011 15:51 #14238 by BigJohnT
Here is the place to add other extensions.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/config_ini...%5BFILTER%5D-Section

John

More
26 Oct 2011 00:10 #14263 by Harry_Y
stephencfrazier wrote:

Setting up the new PC for my Sherline mill. Installed their new Ubuntu/EMC2 utility. I am getting an error message thats says“Can’t issue MDI command when not homed”. I am looking at the Sherline4Axis_inch.ini file to see if I can turn the force homing off (per Section 3.3 EMC V2.4 User Manual) but do not see that in the TRAJ section. Has anyone else run into this issue?

I have a Sherline Mill

What is "their new Ubuntu/EMC2 utility"?

Thank you

More
26 Oct 2011 11:33 #14280 by stephencfrazier
Perhaps "new" was not the best term. It's not so much "new" as it is that they are now offering Ubuntu/EMC2 vs Debian/EMC. Supposed to be less "buggy". I'm going to transition to the EMC2 available through this forum. The guy that does Sherline's stuff is perpetually overloaded and I think I'll get help in a more expedient manner here. Not meaning to demean Sherline, thats just reality. I still think they make the best bench-top mill/lathe you can buy. Plus, and this is big for me, they make it here.

More
26 Oct 2011 11:45 #14283 by BigJohnT
I wonder if a Sherline forum would be a good addition here. Maybe in the Hardware one? What do you guys think?

John

More
26 Oct 2011 12:21 #14285 by stephencfrazier
Why? Am I wearing you out yet? I know I would like it. I wasn't sure how wide spread Sherline machine use was.

Time to create page: 0.284 seconds