5 axis milling

More
19 Dec 2011 15:34 #15839 by gerry
5 axis milling was created by gerry
I am new to linux;
new to emc2 (its running :-));
new to cnc

and I want to build a 5 axis milling machine for gfk prototyping;

i am about to buy 5 servo motors/drives from salecnc.com; can someone help me to find the proper hardware between PC and Drivers?

thanks a lot

Gerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2011 16:01 - 19 Dec 2011 16:13 #15841 by cncbasher
Replied by cncbasher on topic Re:5 axis milling
most servo systems use either analog 10v input or step direction inputs , both can be supported within emc
for a 5 axis servo system , your options are mesanet 5i20 /5i23 or the newer 6i68 along with the addon cards for servo drives etc
( their is the 7i43 but for 5 axis you may well run out of pins , so i discarded this one for clarity )

or PICO PPMC cards both of which are excellent and well supported in EMC2 .

Take a look and ask any more questions
and we can guide you through the maze , and try and make it an easier route

depending on the type of machine you wish to build , or how far you have proceeded
we will try and help

welcome to the world of EMC

Dave
Last edit: 19 Dec 2011 16:13 by cncbasher.

More
20 Dec 2011 08:28 #15885 by gerry
Replied by gerry on topic Re:5 axis milling
I take my inspiration from

so this is the kind of machine I want to build
with x=3000, y=1500, z=1200;

but I want to use Servos from salecnc.com like:
M130075D-1,6KW(for X);
M130060D-1,5KW(for Y+Z) and
M110020E-0,6KW(for A+B);

Static TBI ball screw (25/25) and rotating TBI ball screw nuts;

main strukture: Rose+Krieger havy-load alu-profiles 80/80mm and 80/240mm
Linear rails: from salecnc.com BGR35

water cooled 2,2KW spindle and Inverter from salecnc.com

More
20 Dec 2011 16:13 #15899 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:5 axis milling
gerry wrote:

M130075D-1,6KW(for X);
M130060D-1,5KW(for Y+Z) and
M110020E-0,6KW(for A+B);

Have you found any documentation for the drives? I had a look and couldn't see any, or any indication of how they work

More
20 Dec 2011 16:29 #15901 by gerry

More
20 Dec 2011 16:41 #15902 by andypugh
gerry wrote:

have a look at: www.gskcnc.com/Support/DA98B_ACDriver.pdf www.gskcnc.com/Support/DA98A_ACDriver.pdf

OK, you can drive that any way you fancy in EMC2. It takes +10V to -10V input for analogue speed control, but also supports step/direction, up/down or quadrature pulse trains.

You could hook those drives up to a parallel port with just wires, if you wanted.

More
21 Dec 2011 11:48 #15925 by wizard69
Replied by wizard69 on topic Re:5 axis milling
gerry wrote:

I am new to linux;
new to cnc

That is an awful lot to tackle all at once!

and I want to build a 5 axis milling machine for gfk prototyping;

5 axis makes the job jut a bit bigger!

Also pardon my ignorance but but what is GFK prototyping. I was thinking glass fiber, but the "K" is throwing me there.

i am about to buy 5 servo motors/drives from salecnc.com; can someone help me to find the proper hardware between PC and Drivers?

thanks a lot

Gerry

The proper hardware depends on many factors and the bigger the machine the more likely that good engineering upfront is in order. For example to size the servos you need to know how fast you want to go, acceleration, mass, inertia and other factors affecting the operation of each axis.

When you are talking a big machine it is better to get a handle on this up front. For many of the machines discussed here, guys can give real good advice as there is plenty of experience to guide people. A custom built machine is a whole different manner as nobody will know the specifics of the machine design.

I'm not trying to distract you from the project just that you need to get the parameters of the machine under control.

More
21 Dec 2011 14:09 #15930 by andypugh
wizard69 wrote:

gerry wrote:

I am new to linux;
new to cnc

That is an awful lot to tackle all at once!

I started from there a couple of years ago, so it is doable.

The proper hardware depends on many factors and the bigger the machine the more likely that good engineering upfront is in order. For example to size the servos you need to know how fast you want to go, acceleration, mass, inertia and other factors affecting the operation of each axis..

It is certainly worth trying at least basic speed/mass/acceleration calculations. The servos linked do look pretty big, though, rather larger than the ones in the Youtube clip.

Sample calculation, for the X gantry.
Initial guesstimates.. (change to suit)
Mass 200kg, 5m travel, end-to-end time 5 seconds, distance to reach max rapid speed 100mm.

end-to-end time suggests 1m/s max speed.
Motor max rpm 3000, means 20mm per motor rev.
v^2 = 2as means required acceleration is 5m/s^2
F=ma means actuator force is 1000N
With an actuator lead of 20mm the mechanical advantage is 2*pi /20e-3 = 314.
So, that suggests that a 3Nm rated motor will be close to giving you that performance.
(you can transiently dip into the intermittent rating for accels to rapid)
1000N (200lb) cutting force seems reasonable, that force would push a cutter through foam even without a spindle motor.
200kg might be an over-estimated or under-estimate of gantry mass.

More
22 Dec 2011 17:23 #15940 by precastengineer
Replied by precastengineer on topic Re:5 axis milling
hi to all
This first post but I have been reading up a little on EMC2. First of all I want to say I am really amazed at the support and documentation. I am trying to figure out why anyone would use something other than EMC2. I am going to build a 5 axis mill also and I am completely new to the cnc world. My strength is that I have been a structural engineer for over 20 years and very good at computing stresses deflections etc... But my overwhelming weakness is I know nothing else literally. I appreciate you Gerry showing the machine you plan on building. I am going to build my machine from the ground up without any kind of kit. The structural part of the machine does not scare me. What is scary is getting a drawing in cam software and getting EMC2. to behave. I am very good with Auto Cad and can post my drawings if anyone is interested. I will have so many qestions in the furture and look forward to getting to know you guys!

More
22 Dec 2011 20:16 #15945 by andypugh
precastengineer wrote:

very good at computing stresses deflections etc!

We could have done with you on IRC last night, trying to explain why 10x10x20mm extruded aluminium would be an awful lot less than half as stiff as 20x20x40 and wouldn't make a decent mill frame.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds