5 axis milling

More
22 Dec 2011 22:43 #15952 by wizard69
Replied by wizard69 on topic Re:5 axis milling
precastengineer wrote:

hi to all
This first post but I have been reading up a little on EMC2. First of all I want to say I am really amazed at the support and documentation. I am trying to figure out why anyone would use something other than EMC2.

Seriously, it is software. Due to that infinite variability there is always the possibility of another package being a better solution for a project. EMC just happens to be very good, with a slightly enhanced learning curve.

I am going to build a 5 axis mill also and I am completely new to the cnc world. My strength is that I have been a structural engineer for over 20 years and very good at computing stresses deflections etc...

Man lots of interest in 5 axis machines these days.

But my overwhelming weakness is I know nothing else literally. I appreciate you Gerry showing the machine you plan on building. I am going to build my machine from the ground up without any kind of kit.

I sometimes wonder about the wisdom in doing this. That is building a large complex machine as ones first attempt at a CNC build. Certainly some people are more capable of success here than others. So I'm not trying to turn you off to your pursuit, but rather I'm trying to say is that a smaller machine might be a better learning platform. At least from the standpoint of economics.

The structural part of the machine does not scare me. What is scary is getting a drawing in cam software and getting EMC2. to behave. I am very good with Auto Cad and can post my drawings if anyone is interested. I will have so many qestions in the furture and look forward to getting to know you guys!

Welcome aboard from a fellow new guy. I'm what is often called an automation technician and thus have seen many lines brought up though not CNC hardware in most cases. Let's be clear even seasoned automation engineers / programmers often have issues getting a machine to behave. Bugs happen! Crashes happen along with the tear downs and repairs to get the machine working again. You need to have a certain sense for adventure in this business.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2011 22:46 #15953 by precastengineer
Replied by precastengineer on topic Re:5 axis milling
Hi Andy,
I cannot wait to get on the IRC. Not even sure how to do it yet. I have been so busy putting up my shop and hopefully will be through in about a month. Then building my cnc machine will be all I do and think about. But you are right about the 10x10x20 versuses and the 20x20x40. I know you probably heard over and over about moment of inertia but that plays a big part. Having twice the depth has a much greater stiffness than a factor of two.!! I will soon be lurking all through the forum. Anyway thanks for the reply and merry christmas to all!

More
22 Dec 2011 23:43 #15954 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:5 axis milling
On the Community tab just pick the embedded irc client and give yourself a name... it's that easy.

John

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds