No step pulse output from parallel port

More
30 Apr 2012 20:09 #19673 by submicro
I couldn't get step pulses from mine either, I tried everything!!!. Turned out I had the wrong kind of DB25 cable. All cables are not created equal!
Just my 2 cents. hope it helps.

SubMicro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2012 11:51 #19705 by andypugh
skarnsungen wrote:

I'm now sure that there is some activity at the step pins as I can better registrer the voltage shift after raising the timing. You say that stepping happen very fast, but I thougth it was as simle as when I set step -timing and step space to 500000 ns I would get at pulse lasting 0,5 sec every 0,5 sec. Probably wrong???

I missed this first time round, but there are a couple of things worth noting here.

The way that Stepconf configures a stepgen by default is to use the Parallel Port "Reset" function. This means that the step pins are set high when required, then at the end of all the base-thread activity the Reset function is called, which waits for the requested time and then sets the selected pins back to low.
The reset time is set to the step-length timing, normally a few microseconds.

Note, however, that the reset function stops everything dead waiting for the reset time to elapse. if Step-len is longer than the base thread period then the computer will lock up completely. (Actually, I rather hope there are safeguards in place to prevent that)

You _can_ set up to have extremely long step times by manually editing the HAL file to remove the "reset" function.

More
08 May 2012 18:18 #19936 by skarnsungen
Hi guys
I've finally sorted out all the problems, and the board now works fine. None of my issues were regarding EMC2 but were alle board related:
From my electronics supplier, my counter IC's were all malfunctioning and my decoders wrong (not decoderes). Then I'd stupidly reversed the direction of the MOSFET's. One other thing is that my controller needs an "enable" for each axis -I solved this by using 3 digital out pins set to "inverted".
After correcting these issues, two motors were running fine. The last problem was another stupid fault in my circuit board. This I've drawn by hand and i turned out that I made at wrong connection to one IC pin.

Regarding the db25 cable Its true that not all are working. I've only had my board working plugged directly in the parallel port.
Kind regards
Peter

More
09 May 2012 23:38 #19950 by pfred1
I had to give you a thumbs up on that observation.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds