Trying to configure Linuxcnc for a Syil SX3 mill

More
25 Sep 2012 12:59 #24608 by MetalByter
Hello, I am just starting off with LinuxCNC, I have it installed on an older Dell pc,
I have the pins set the same as they were in Mach 3, measuring the pins on the parallel port show that they are responding but there is nothing happening at the machine. I think there is a problem with the charge pump on pin 9. Is there a good known HAL file that works with A Syil SX3 ?
Has anyone managed to get a Syil SX3 running with LinuxCNC?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2012 13:15 - 25 Sep 2012 13:21 #24609 by BigJohnT
You might try inverting the charge pump pin.

Do you know what the frequency requirement is for the charge pump?

If you used Stepconf Wizard the base period might be too long for the frequency needed by the charge pump.

I do see that Stepconf adds the charge-pump component and uses that but the man page is rather terse.

John
Last edit: 25 Sep 2012 13:21 by BigJohnT.

More
25 Sep 2012 13:58 #24613 by MetalByter
Yes I have tried inverting pin 9 for the charge pump. and I don't know the frequency required.
I was hoping that somebody else had been down this road before. When I get home I will try to disable the charge pump at the machine.
If I can get any response it will be a starting point and a little more encouraging.
Mark

More
25 Sep 2012 14:05 - 25 Sep 2012 16:10 #24614 by BigJohnT
I did find out that the frequency of the charge pump is a function of the base thread and the typical stepconf base thread is 100,000 which would result in what Peter said in the next message.

A good page for charge pumps is:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?About_Charge_Pumps

You might need a shorter base period to get the frequency high enough to charge the charge pump.

John
Last edit: 25 Sep 2012 16:10 by BigJohnT. Reason: math error

More
25 Sep 2012 16:02 - 25 Sep 2012 16:03 #24616 by PCW
I think you have a small math-o here :-)
if a typical base thread is 100,000 ns thats 100 us or .0001 second
so

1/(.0001 X2) = 5 Khz
Last edit: 25 Sep 2012 16:03 by PCW.

More
25 Sep 2012 16:08 #24617 by BigJohnT
I sure am glad someone came along that knew what they were talking about...

Thanks for the correction Peter.

John

More
25 Sep 2012 16:37 #24619 by PCW
Well I learned to watch decimal places from using a slide rule
(I guess that places me firmly in geezerhood)

More
20 Oct 2012 17:23 #25493 by MetalByter
Thank you for the help and quick responses,
Unfortunately other things have taken much of my time. I have disabled the charge pump on my machine
but still no movement. I checked the pins on the parallel port the input seems to work but the output pins do not. I think the problem is in the set up of the Computer. PS2 DMA3. Any idea on how to get the port to work correctly. This is an older Dell Dimension 3000 P4.
Mark

More
20 Oct 2012 22:43 #25512 by MetalByter
Making some progress, did a reinstall and got the parallel port set up, my scope now shows a signal at the cable on the step pin of the X axis. has any body here have some experience with the syil drivers?
I will have to check inside the mill it has been running fine for years on Mach with no problems.
Mark

More
21 Oct 2012 01:03 #25524 by andypugh
MetalByter wrote:

I will have to check inside the mill it has been running fine for years on Mach with no problems.

That would seem to indicate that the problem is something to do with the LinuxCNC config.
If it is trivially easy to try the Mach config again then that might be a test worth doing. It is conceivable that a hardware problem has occurred just at the same time as your software switch.

I think JT has a utility that can make a stepconf file from a Mach XML, which might also be worth a try.

My machine (not a Syil) didn't work until I inverted the step pins. That's probably worth a try.

Time to create page: 0.254 seconds