Complete newby needing help.

More
15 Oct 2012 22:06 #25351 by customcutter
John:

OK, it's starting to make sense now. Yes the 5i25-7i76 sounds like a better option.

Is power connected to the 7i76 by connector or soldered? Same with the 201's connectors or soldered?

I remember reading one post on the Supra KIt where the poster was not happy about the 201's being powered by a printer ribbon cable????

Any pics anywhere of the 7176's being hooked up, or just do a search and see what I can find???

thanks,
Ken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2012 22:18 #25352 by BigJohnT
Everything is terminal blocks even the 201. The terminal blocks on the 201 pull off so it might look like it is part of the board. Look at the photos on the gecko site at the terminal blocks.

This is the 7i77 on my BP (looks the same as the 7i76) when I just started wiring it up. The 7i77 is the one with all the green terminal blocks on it.

gnipsel.com/shop/bp1/bp1-02.xhtml

John

More
15 Oct 2012 22:53 #25353 by customcutter
I just looked at the 7i77 and took a quick peek at the rest of the photo gallery.

The only thing "pot bellied" in my shop is me.:)

Ken

More
15 Oct 2012 23:02 #25354 by customcutter
OK, I was just looking at the Supra controller.

How do I get the 201's off. They seem awfully snug. Do they just pull off? I noticed the back of the 201's have 2 screws in them. Do they have to be removed and the back pulled off to remove from the board?

Also can't find any identifying marks, #'s, etc on the transformer. I'll assume 120 in, but don't know voltages out.

The gecko site is having problems. Is the 7i76 a 3 or 4 axis board? I'd like to at least have 4. (who knows maybe a vertical rotary table later). How would coolant be controlled?

Is there reason to go with a bigger/better board??? Just asking before I pull the trigger on the 5i25-7i76 combo.

thanks,
Ken

More
16 Oct 2012 00:29 #25358 by BigJohnT
Ken,

The 7i76 is

The 7I76 is daughtercard/breakout board for use with MESA's 25 pin I/O FPGA cards like the 5I25. The 7I76 is designed for interfacing up to 5 Axis of step &dir step motor or servo motor drives and also provides a spindle encoder interface, isolated analog spindle speed control and 48 isolated I/O points for general purpose field I/O use.

The terminal blocks on the 201's should have screws on the side. The 201 will unplug from the terminal block as well if that makes it easier to get at the screws but it is a snug fit at least on the 203 drives you almost have to pry them off. The screws in the back hold the cover on and you should not have to remove them. You should see a row of screws that are near the bottom in the terminal block.

In this photo the screws are the terminals and the row of holes are the pins so the terminal block would come UP to get removed in the following photo.

www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives/g201x.html

Do you have a volt meter?

John

More
16 Oct 2012 00:43 #25359 by customcutter
OK, found the screws on the botttom. There is an extremely short wire connecting the cooling fan to the board. So when the cover is removed the only way to set it down is on the side that blocks access to the screws on the bottom of the 201's.

I have several volt meters. My good one bit the dust so now I have 4-5 HF $3.99 specials.:)

What do I need it for???

Ken

More
16 Oct 2012 10:53 #25366 by BigJohnT
You said you didn't know the voltage of the power supply... once you plug it in you can measure the output.

John

More
16 Oct 2012 22:31 - 16 Oct 2012 23:07 #25388 by customcutter
Dooh (Homer Simpson slap to forehead). Too obvious, John. I thought we were going to check the 201's, or maybe figure out the breakout on the printer cable.:)

OK, on the input side of the transformer. Top 2 pins are soldered together, and bottom 2 pins are soldered together, 118 volts. On the ouput side there are 4 pins, 2 center pins are soldered together, with leads coming off of top and bottom pins. Top and center pins +/-25 volts. Top and bottom pins (leads coming off of) +/- 50-51 volts.

BTW, all 3 of the 201's lit up the LED's.

thanks,
Ken

PS. Just left an e-mail on the cncmasters site asking for documentation, etc. Hopefully, I'll get a response tomorrow.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2012 23:07 by customcutter. Reason: added PS

More
17 Oct 2012 10:30 #25398 by BigJohnT
The "power supply" part should contain the transformer, a bridge rectifier (square thing with one corner cut off and 4 wires) to convert the AC to DC and a rather large capacitor or it might be on one of the boards. In any case you need to try and identify what part is the power supply should you decide to ditch the cncmasters board(s) and just use the power supply and the 201's.

BTW, your photos disappeared?

At a minimum you could connect the step and direction pins on the 201's to the parallel port and the power supply to the 201's and the steppers to the 201's and be off and running.

John

More
18 Oct 2012 01:18 - 18 Oct 2012 01:21 #25406 by customcutter
John:

Everything is in one unit. Large blue capacitor is there. There are 3 boards. One(A) that has 3 201's mounted and a 4th output available. One (b) that has the I/O serial ports mounted, it is connected by ribbon cable to both the main power board (C), and the board (A) with the 201's mounted. And (C) board, which appears to be the power board.

I am planning on getting and using the 5i25-7i76 combo. Will I still need to "rob" parts and or use the cncmasters power board? If so I'm wondering what/how? I'll try to look at the mesa website again, and see if I can figure out anything.

BTW, I checked and the pics are back. I took some more detailed pics of the cncmasters power board. I'll try to get them posted tomorrow. (The earlier pics were uploaded from my computer. Is it necessary to upload to PhotoBucket etc? Like on the HSM website?)

thanks,
Ken
Last edit: 18 Oct 2012 01:21 by customcutter.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds