Can anybody share a working Servo Configuration..

More
03 Feb 2013 17:30 #29517 by Piscis
While waiting for the other three Servo Drives and motors to arrive I started working with the only servo drive I had at hand and finally finished all the electrical wiring yesterday. Now that I have 3-4 weeks waiting time before the servos arrive I will like to start playing around and learning about these three areas of LinuxCNC.

Ladder Logic (I’m already a PLC programmer)
Modbus TCP (for remote control of I/O)
Hal Scope (to check my wiring signals and possibly tune the motor)

I’m using Mesa 5i25-7i77 cards.

Can anybody share a working Servo Configuration file that will not result in “LinuxCNC Terminated with an Error” type of message. A file that will allow me to concentrate and focus only on these three areas I’m interested at the moment?

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2013 17:35 #29518 by Piscis
I forgot to mention that the configuration file must be for a Single Axis , since I only have one Servo Motor drive installed and wired with not attachments on the shaft, freewheeling without any kind of load.

More
03 Feb 2013 18:09 #29519 by cncbasher
usualy if linuxcnc terminated with an error , it will give you a hint where the error is
look at the dmesg output

post your hal and ini files as attachments

More
03 Feb 2013 18:20 #29520 by Piscis
When using PNCconfig I see only two options, one for a 3 axis XYZ system and the other for a 2 axis XZ Lathe system. I figured the error had to do with me doing the configuration for only ONE axis and leaving all other fields blank. Are you saying I should be able to get it working with no errors even if one axis is all I have at the moment?

More
03 Feb 2013 18:35 - 03 Feb 2013 18:37 #29521 by cncbasher
yes , you just need to comment out what is not needed in the hal and or ini file
rather than remove it , then it's a simple matter to uncomment later on when your ready

pncconf is just a quick way of producing a working file , it's normal to hand modify afterwards
it can't cover all options

just build for what you need in the end , then comment out what is not needed or gives you an error
Last edit: 03 Feb 2013 18:37 by cncbasher.

More
03 Feb 2013 18:42 #29522 by Piscis
OK, I will post the INI and HAL files as soon as I can. Thanks

More
09 Feb 2013 18:52 #29802 by Piscis
Here are the INI and HAL files. I copied them to my Windows PC before attaching, hope you can open it.

dl.dropbox.com/u/58111636/Anibal_LinuxCNC.hal

dl.dropbox.com/u/58111636/Anibal_LinuxCNC.ini

More
09 Feb 2013 19:37 #29804 by cncbasher
to remove an axis all you need to do is remove the code for that axis in the hal file
or the prefered method perhaps if you wish to use the axis again is to just comment out the line with a # at the begining of the line
so to comment out for example the Z axis , find in the hal file the section beginning

#*******************
# AXIS Z
#*******************

setp pid.z.Pgain [AXIS_2]P
setp pid.z.Igain [AXIS_2]I
setp pid.z.Dgain [AXIS_2]D
setp pid.z.bias [AXIS_2]BIAS

and change each line by adding a # at the begining as

#*******************
# AXIS Z
#*******************

#setp pid.z.Pgain [AXIS_2]P
#setp pid.z.Igain [AXIS_2]I
#setp pid.z.Dgain [AXIS_2]D
#setp pid.z.bias [AXIS_2]BIAS

each line untill you reach the section

#*******************
# SPINDLE S
#*******************

see how you get on . it is simple once you understand the flow , to pick what to remove etc
commenting out is easier if you are going to add back in later on , that way you dont miss anything

same goes for limits and home switches .

More
10 Feb 2013 18:39 #29853 by Piscis
Do I need to do the same in the .INI file or just the .HAL file?

More
10 Feb 2013 18:44 #29854 by Piscis
Once I manually change these files I cannot use PNCconf ever again Right? I read something about overwriting all manual changes if this program is run again.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds