Motor won't step at low jog rate

More
22 Jun 2013 22:30 #35919 by Knas
Hello, i have a strange issue which is that one of the two motors controlling my Y-axis won't move - but only if the jog rate is very low, if it's up it works totally fine. The machine has been tested with another piece of software so i know the hardware isn't at fault. I'm wondering if this could be a problem with microstepping as it's only doing this at very low feed rates?

I'm using a Gecko G540 and four Nema 23 380oz motors, the Y axis is driven by two motors (Y and A) and i just doubled the Y step/direction on the A pins for the dual motor control.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2013 23:07 #35920 by BigJohnT
What is the step timing and acceleration?

Have you swapped A and Y to verify the problem is not with the drive?

JT

More
23 Jun 2013 01:42 - 23 Jun 2013 01:43 #35927 by Knas
So when i first fired it up today it worked perfectly with LinuxCNC, after ~10 minutes it started doing this weird thing. What happens is that one of the motors takes a second or two to start rolling, again only at low jog speeds.

I tested swapping Y and A - the problem is with the A driver quite clearly and not the motor. Again, it works perfectly with Mach3 so the hardware is not the issue (i just reverfied it).

I couldnt' really find much info on how to configure my machine (a KRMx02) so i did some research and came up with the following (which may or may not be entirely right):

I've set it up as a XYZ axis machine and used the "Gecko G540) driver type as the driver timing seconds - any chance this template is whacky? I've done the jitter tests and abused my computer.

Parallel port setup: (for the G540)
2 - X Step
3 - X Direction (inv)
4 - Y Step
5 - Y Direction (inv)
6 - Z Step
7 - Z Direction
8 - Y Step
9 - Y Direction
16 - Charge Pump

Axis setup:
Steps per rev: 200
Microstepping: 10
Pully teeth: 3:1
Leadscrew pitch: 2.8647
Max velocity: 15 in/s
Max acceleration: 30 in/s2

Same settings for all axises except Z that has a leadscrew pitch of 6.

Many thanks for any insight!
Last edit: 23 Jun 2013 01:43 by Knas. Reason: clarification

More
23 Jun 2013 17:09 #35944 by Rick G
Hello,

Are you saying that you are using the same parallel port pin to drive both Y axis?
If so I wonder if it could be a low voltage problem on the parallel port.
What mode is your parallel port in? It can some times make a small difference in the output.
You could also move the second Y driver to a different parallel port pin and just combine them in you hal configuration file.
Also double check your cable connection.

Rick G

More
23 Jun 2013 18:13 #35947 by BigJohnT
The G540 is a bit picky and may not work with the minimum step and direction timing.

Its been found that 1 usec is marginal on the G540s
(not surprising as its the specified minimum width)

I think the latest pncconf uses 2 usec steplen 2 usec stepspace, 700 ns dir setup and 700 ns dir hold
for G540s . This gets you to the G540s specified maximum 250 KHz step rate but with
at least 500 nsec timing margins everywhere.

125 KHz is still 3750 RPM with a Gecko so probably plenty of margin for practical systems

Also note that the charge pump on the G540 will only work if the parallel port is in EPP mode. Some parallel ports won't do that.

JT

More
24 Jun 2013 00:34 #35953 by Knas
So as for the parllel port, it's set to EPP in bios - i had the option of using 1.7 or 1.9 and i went with 1.7. I'm not using the same parallel port pins, but rather i configured the pins that are supposed to control the A axis to respond to the Y direction and step. This was the only was i could seem to slave the two axises together, but if there's another better way i would absolutely try it. I will check the HAL config, i haven't even looked at that.

I will def. test the other step settings for the Gecko and report back.

What really weirds me out is that the problem doesn't happen until 10 minutes and that it's not always the same response; some times the motor doesn't turn at all, some times it just has a time-delay.

More
24 Jun 2013 00:45 #35955 by Rick G
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knas

More
24 Jun 2013 01:19 #35956 by Knas
well i tested the new timing numbers and it started screwing up after about ~5 minutes anyway. Restarting the controller and LinuxCNC seems to do the trick for another ~5-10 minutes and then it happens again. I've tried it with several different kinds of gcode too of course.

I'm trying to look into how to configure this as a true XYYZ axis machine with HAL, maybe that will help.

More
24 Jun 2013 02:51 #35958 by Knas
okay so i modified the gantry model and it works except the A-motor isn't running when i jog the Y axis, i've got this in the INI:

[TRAJ]
AXES = 4
COORDINATES = X Y Z Y

and in the HAL:
loadrt gantrykins coordinates=xyzy
setp gantrykins.joint-0 0
setp gantrykins.joint-1 1
setp gantrykins.joint-2 2
setp gantrykins.joint-3 1

More
24 Jun 2013 03:19 #35959 by Rick G

if you are running steppers with two axis that are the same and you are not going to install separate home or limit switches you can just output the step signals to two sets of parallel port pins. Just use the standard XYZ setup and something like this...

x axis
net xdir => parport.0.pin-04-out
setp parport.0.pin-05-out-invert 1
net xstep => parport.0.pin-05-out
setp parport.0.pin-05-out-reset 1

slave axis
setp parport.0-08-out-invert 1
net xdir => parport.0.pin-08-out
setp parport.0.pin-09-out-invert 1
net xstep => parport.0.pin-09-out
setp parport.0.pin-09-out-reset 1

That should be close but from memory. The one is reversed here because if you had two motors at opposite sides and they both pointed inward a move would be with one clockwise and the other counter clockwise, but it is easy to switch.

If you go this route you do not need gantrykins

Rick G

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds