Motor won't step at low jog rate

More
24 Jun 2013 03:21 #35960 by Knas
well this is how i ran it in the first place and i get the weird issue with one of the motors stopping working after a while, so i thought i'd give gantrykins a try in case the previous method was a problem..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2013 15:19 - 24 Jun 2013 15:28 #35971 by Rick G
I think this is what John was referring to...
linuxcnc.org/hardy/dapper/emc2/emc2/inde...buntu-doesnt?limit=6
or
www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...rt-card?limitstart=0

Working for 5 or 10 minutes then stopping would seem to indicate a hardware problem

Do you have a pci parallel port card or another computer to try?

Rick G
Last edit: 24 Jun 2013 15:28 by Rick G.

More
24 Jun 2013 19:12 #35980 by BigJohnT

well i tested the new timing numbers and it started screwing up after about ~5 minutes anyway. Restarting the controller and LinuxCNC seems to do the trick for another ~5-10 minutes and then it happens again. I've tried it with several different kinds of gcode too of course.

I'm trying to look into how to configure this as a true XYYZ axis machine with HAL, maybe that will help.

That does sound like a hardware problem.

www.geckodrive.com/g540-heatsinking

Is it just the A axis that fails? Did you swap the Y and A at the drive to try and troubleshoot.

JT

More
24 Jun 2013 19:18 #35981 by cncbasher
I wonder if the drives either overheating due to wrong current limits etc , and therefore shutting down or power supply is not capable of running 4 steppers ..
I doubt the problem is software , sounds more of a hardware problem , try swapping axis around and see if the fault follows ..

More
24 Jun 2013 19:36 - 24 Jun 2013 19:47 #35983 by Knas
It's not a *hardware* issue (i wrote software first time), i ran it with another software for an hour yesterday with no issues what so ever.

Yes i've tested changing the Y and the A, it's the A output on the controller that screws everything up. To me it sounds like a classic "stack overflow"-type problem..

I was looking at the posts relating to the parallel port, however it seems that the EPP problem is related to the charge pump in those and my charge pump works just fine with ubuntu.

I'll def. check the temperature of the G540 however, maybe that's my issue as i don't have any fans..
Last edit: 24 Jun 2013 19:47 by Knas.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds