Bridgeport Retrofit - keyboard input delays noted

More
21 Oct 2013 06:08 #40111 by andypugh

So with a steady ripple free input I have some unexplained events occurring.

My guess would be that the problem is due the the analogue input stage. Analogue inputs do tend to dither by one or two bits, it is in their nature.

There are two possible solutions.
There are three possible solutions.
Amongst the possible solutions are:
1) We could fix LinuxCNC so that it can cope with the over-ride inputs varying a bit. This ought to get fixed eventually as a side effect of ongoing work. What your config is doing _shouldn't_ be a problem. But given that it is…
2) Create a custom hal component that ignores any change in value until it passes a threshold. Actually, I am surprised that it doesn't exist, but I haven't spotted it. I think I can see how it ought to work. (it's not as simple as it first appears)
3) Swap the pots for encoders. This isn't altogether a retrograde step, they cooperate better with secondary controls. (you can just add them all together). They can be very cheap. My jogwheel is one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotary-Impulse-Shaft-...Switch-/160392668169 and there are much cheaper ones in ebay (you can have 10 for that price). That approach will cost you encoder counters or IO pins though. As it happens my jogwheel is handled through a software encoder in the 1mS thread. But that is because my 5i23 firmware has resolvers, not encoders. It works just fine.
4) Solutions I have not thought of yet. I am confident that they exist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2013 07:05 #40112 by gmouer
I would vote for solution #1, fixing it within Linuxcnc. In my case, my overrides come in via a pot on a game controller, via usb. Its a floating point, originating from a pot. People can handle the overrides in many fashions and a bit of noise is to be expected. I recall someone said the override HALUI inputs are 8 bit, that means one could have 256 steps in their override function. Putting a bit of noise rejection within Linuxcnc would lower that a bit but 256 is far more than normally required. Fixing it within Linuxcnc leaves all the various hardware choices for overrides available to the user without having to try and mask this problem in HAL somehow.

I think Mark using pots is something common and to be expected in the future. Ditto for usb gamepads employing pots.

There was a education here, I never considered the noise spikes as dither, but A to D converters do indeed dither one or two bits normally. No doubt that is what Marks HALSCOPE paste shows.

More
21 Oct 2013 07:19 #40113 by PCW
You should not have more than a LSB or so of noise from a clean input
If you have more noise than this is would make sure you have the correct ground
for the input:

(TB2 pin 8, _not_ logic ground)

(this still will need treatment to avoid dithering the FRO)

More
21 Oct 2013 21:29 #40128 by kramdradoow
Thanks again for the comments andypugh. Of the 3 solutions that you suggest, my vote is obviously Option 1 but since i have no control over that and I am a realist, that one is not really an option for immediate use. Option 2 is probably above my pay grade. I can barely use the components available. I can't see me creating such a component. Option 3. I could swap out my simple pots for encoders (i suppose that is the way things are going these days. ie. volume control on my car radio. where has the time gone.) I haven't looked at this in depth but I assume that will use up 2 of the 6 encoder inputs available. I am using 3 now for axis control, plan one for spindle feedback and have hopes of a trunnion with servos using 2 more. You can see that I don't have 2 more available. Another board perhaps to use digital fro and sro instead of pots?

Is it possible to use unused field i/o input pins instead of encoder inputs if I were to swap pots for simple encoders?

Since FRO/SRO doesn't require high accuracy (just reliability) it seems a bit like using an air compressor, hose, electrical cable and a nail gun and then try to figure how to only partial drive the nails when all i want to do is tap in 2 nails and hang my coat and hat up in the shop. Seems like the hammer is the right tool.

The 4th option is to see what I can do with the existing HAL components to further mask the effects of dither.

The last one is to ignore it. I have been able to pretty well mask the original problem. No need to process a constantly changing FRO/SRO signal. No delays noted. Just a little dither once in a while. It seems that I headed down an intriguing technical path but....

Thanks PCW. I do have a question regarding the correct logic/signal ground. I have the field (24v and TB2-4&8 ) supply tied across 2 10K pots. The wipers of the 2 pots go to the 7i77 analog inputs TB8 1&2. The ground for this is TB2-8. Is that correct? Is there better option?

Thanks again all for the assistance. I hope someone else is able to use the information in this thread to their advantage.

Mark

More
21 Oct 2013 21:58 #40130 by andypugh

Is it possible to use unused field i/o input pins instead of encoder inputs if I were to swap pots for simple encoders?

Yes. This is how I have my jogwheel connected, it works fine. You only need to use 2 x IO pins per encoder, though many of the panel encoders like I linked to have a push-button switch that feels like it should be useful for something.

The maximum count rate is quite low. But that isn't a problem for a feed over-ride knob or jogwheel.

Here is a quick stab at a "backlash" HAL component for option 2.
component backlash "A sort of floating deadband thingy";
pin in float in "This is the input value";
pin out float out "This is the output value";
pin out signed dir "This is the current direction of adjustment";
pin in float backlash "This is the amount of dither to ignore";
function _;
license "GPL"
;;
switch(dir){
   case 0: // Init
        if (in > out){
            out = in;
            dir = 1;
        } else if (in < out) {
             out = in;
             dir = -1;
        }
        break;
     case 1: // value increasing
         if (in > out){
             out = in;
         } else if (in < (out - backlash)) {
             out = in;
              dir = -1;
         }
         break;
     case -1: // value decreasing
         if (in > out + backlash){
             out = in;
             dir = 1;
         } else if (in < out) {
             out = in;
         }
    }
}

More
21 Oct 2013 22:03 #40131 by PCW
Your pots are connected correctly (I just wanted to make sure that the 9V battery test was connected that way as well)
The 7I77 field inputs are filtered but have a fairly fast time constant so shielded cable may be required to get the lowest noise.

Note that as Andy mentioned, you will always have some dither in analog inputs, (your "spikes" represent 2 LSBs of noise)
Some encoders dither as well if their optical sensors have no hysteresis.

So in any case you may need something to help eliminate the dither (A hysteresis component?)

If you want to use encoders for FRO/SRO you can use field inputs 16,17,18,19 and 7I77 software mode 3
to support 2 MPG type encoders (5V signaling)

More
21 Oct 2013 23:55 #40135 by kramdradoow
PCW, yes, the neg term of the battery was tied to the field gnd. If I understand correctly, cheap encoders may still exhibit dither and thus require the same processing that my pots do.

andypugh, thanks for the code. As usual, this looks pretty simple on the surface. Wonder what educational experiences I'll enjoy researching and implementing (and perhaps modifying) the code in your sample "backlash" component. I guess its why we do this though. Option 2 here we come..... Who knows? For grins, I may just experiment with simple encoders too.

Mark

More
22 Oct 2013 00:00 #40136 by andypugh

If I understand correctly, cheap encoders may still exhibit dither and thus require the same processing that my pots do.

The style I linked to won't, they use physical contacts not optos.

More
22 Oct 2013 00:25 #40137 by kramdradoow
I looked at those and found they don't ship to north america. I'll search around when I get some more free time.....

More
22 Oct 2013 00:30 #40138 by andypugh

I looked at those and found they don't ship to north america.

www.ebay.com/itm/181242074733

But there are cheaper no-brand ones too.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds