To upgrade or not

More
24 Nov 2014 04:44 #53329 by allenwg2005
Hi Folks,

I see we're up to LCNC version 2.6.4.

("The only constant in life is change".)

I'm way back in 2.5.2, I realize at some point you must follow along if you want relavant answers to problems and questions.

BUT!

Upgrading (anything) tends to provide the user with a host of issues resulting in hours, if not days or weeks of brain danage.

Can someone kindly spell out what advantages to 2.6.4 for those that are brave enough to pull that trigger.

No point in asking what problems one might encounter, every situation is different and my is no exception.
I'm sure I'll end up bleeding to some degree once I gather the courage to go for it.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2014 06:48 #53339 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic To upgrade or not
2.5.4 is the latest for 2.5.

Change log for 2.6

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Released_2.6.X

You will have to decide if you need 2.6, at the least get the latest bug fix for 2.5.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
24 Nov 2014 08:34 #53343 by allenwg2005
Replied by allenwg2005 on topic To upgrade or not
I had another thought here.

I don't have a lot of wiggle room were latancy is concerned.

At what point might the upgrades slam my PC?

More
24 Nov 2014 15:31 #53348 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic To upgrade or not

If you are using the same computer and same kernel, changing the software version should have no impact.

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
05 Dec 2014 01:22 #53686 by pws
Replied by pws on topic To upgrade or not

If you are using the same computer and same kernel, changing the software version should have no impact.

regards

I am afraid I CANNOT agree with that!

I am a relative "newby", and had built a new [AMD] system a few months ago as the old system was just a bit TOO old and various issues. The NEW system was doing great and I was slowly getting up to speed, although a long way from "making parts".

I have been away from all of this for a while - several personal issues took priority, and finally came back to return to my learning. Since release 2.6 was now out there and, I updated my system accordingly, and the problems began!!

I have HUGE jitter issues now. I see references to it being something to do with the AMD, but it hasn't come clear yet exactly what I need to do. I thought the updates through to 2.6.4 would take care of that, but obviously not. I am still searching for something that makes sense that I might follow to fix it, but to no avail although I saw something about "rebuilding the Kernel" that I have not figured out yet.

Another thing that is kicking my butt is how to make the "xhc-hb04" I bought work. According to what I have read, this is supposed to work with 2.6 "out of the box". Not sure what "box" that was referring to, but not mine!! Still haven't figured that one out.

It has been VERY frustrating - almost to the point where "Mach3" came to mind a couple of times! I would REALLY like to get this figured out, but I feel interest waning - which is a disappointment to say the least!!

So, I hope you understand why I take issue with the "no impact" statement! Perhaps it is all me, but I guess I expected things to be a little clearer!

More
05 Dec 2014 01:38 - 05 Dec 2014 01:43 #53687 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic To upgrade or not
Thats pretty strange...
Kernel versions make a big difference in reported latency, but I dont think I have ever noticed that the
Linuxcnc version makes any substantial difference in reported latency

(the latency test is unlikely to have changed regardless of all the other linuxcnc version specific changes)
Last edit: 05 Dec 2014 01:43 by PCW.

More
05 Dec 2014 01:53 - 05 Dec 2014 02:02 #53690 by ArcEye

Since release 2.6 was now out there and, I updated my system accordingly, and the problems began!!

What distro do you have installed, as opposed to Linuxcnc version?

EDIT:
To expand on my previous comment.

There is a realtime latency test in /usr/realtime/testsuite/user/latency/run

If you ran it now for a few minutes, then deleted all of linuxcnc and ran it again, I would expect the same readings.
Latency results are governed by hardware, the kernel and realtime but the rt software should not come into it, as it is not even running when the latency test is conducted.
Last edit: 05 Dec 2014 02:02 by ArcEye.

More
05 Dec 2014 05:51 - 05 Dec 2014 05:51 #53698 by bernie_nor
Replied by bernie_nor on topic To upgrade or not

Another thing that is kicking my butt is how to make the "xhc-hb04" I bought work. According to what I have read, this is supposed to work with 2.6 "out of the box". Not sure what "box" that was referring to, but not mine!! Still haven't figured that one out.

I had similar frustrations regarding the xhc-hb04. After upgrading to 2.6.4 I saw the README file was the only thing upgraded with regards to the xhc-hb04. So? Well, I read it, found my errors and now the xhc-hb04 works perfectly. The Wiki is not correct, or at least was not 4-5 weeks ago.

Cheers
Bernie
Last edit: 05 Dec 2014 05:51 by bernie_nor.

More
06 Dec 2014 00:50 #53722 by allenwg2005
Replied by allenwg2005 on topic To upgrade or not
Well this has been interesting.

I should update at some point I'm just not sure I what to take a chance on it right now.

In the mean time, I was looking for a link to check out the latest "Bug Fixes" for 2.5.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
I did a sreach and it wasn't real helpful.

Thanks

More
06 Dec 2014 01:20 #53724 by ArcEye

In the mean time, I was looking for a link to check out the latest "Bug Fixes" for 2.5.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Linuxcnc with bugs - heaven forbid :laugh:

Think of change logs and you find

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Released_2.6.X

regards

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds