To upgrade or not

More
06 Dec 2014 01:46 #53727 by allenwg2005
Replied by allenwg2005 on topic To upgrade or not
Is there a way to upgrade to 2..5.4 from 2.5.2?
2.6 spooks me at this point.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2014 02:01 - 06 Dec 2014 02:01 #53729 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic To upgrade or not
umm 2.5.4 to 2.5.2 would be a downgrade

Not sure what you think is the issue with 2.6.4, there are many bug fixes between
2.5.4 and 2.6.4 and very little that should affect compatibility.
Last edit: 06 Dec 2014 02:01 by PCW.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
06 Dec 2014 03:19 #53734 by allenwg2005
Replied by allenwg2005 on topic To upgrade or not
Quick question.

Do I have to burn a live DVD to install 2.6, or can it be upgraded via the internet?

I think I read a while back you have to use the disk.

More
06 Dec 2014 03:37 #53736 by PCW
you do not need to re-install linux, assuming you are running ubuntu 10.04 or newer:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpdatingTo2.6
The following user(s) said Thank You: allenwg2005

More
08 Dec 2014 02:11 #53794 by pws
Replied by pws on topic To upgrade or not

Since release 2.6 was now out there and, I updated my system accordingly, and the problems began!!

What distro do you have installed, as opposed to Linuxcnc version?

EDIT:
To expand on my previous comment.

There is a realtime latency test in /usr/realtime/testsuite/user/latency/run

If you ran it now for a few minutes, then deleted all of linuxcnc and ran it again, I would expect the same readings.
Latency results are governed by hardware, the kernel and realtime but the rt software should not come into it, as it is not even running when the latency test is conducted.

Well, based on some of the responses I got, it was clear to me that I needed to back up and get a handle on what I had in place and understand what's new / improved / changed. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday doing some reading and reorganizing my thoughts!

First, I downloaded the newest (2.6.4) iso and reinstalled from scratch.

Next, I worked through the various posts and the hxc-hb04 "Readme" and now have that working. Thanks for all the input on that (particularly bernie_nor for emphasizing the Readme was key)!

The jitter issue, however, is still not good!

I have notes from a year ago when I first built this new system and it was running 2.5:

Servo: 12951
Base: 6145

No Hardware has been changed.

With the new install from the latest 2.6.4 CD:

Servo: 1874002
Base: 127300

I have no idea why this would change so dramatically and I would appreciate any insight or suggestions on what I might do to improve this.

Thanks!

More
08 Dec 2014 15:52 #53806 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic To upgrade or not
Hi

I have no idea why this would change so dramatically and I would appreciate any insight or suggestions on what I might do to improve this.

You need to appreciate that you have NOT 'upgraded to 2.6.4'

You have installed a completely new distro, Debian Wheezy, with a new rtai kernel and a new version realtime.

It has linuxcnc 2.6.4 bundled with it, but that is incidental, it would return the same figures on latency no matter which version you ran.

The older the hardware, the more likely the new distro will not suit.

If you want to return to the lower figures you enjoyed, reinstall what you had before
and upgrade linuxcnc to 2.6.4 as per the instructions

regards

More
09 Dec 2014 00:17 #53826 by pws

Hi

You need to appreciate that you have NOT 'upgraded to 2.6.4'

You have installed a completely new distro, Debian Wheezy, with a new rtai kernel and a new version realtime.

It has linuxcnc 2.6.4 bundled with it, but that is incidental, it would return the same figures on latency no matter which version you ran.

The older the hardware, the more likely the new distro will not suit.

If you want to return to the lower figures you enjoyed, reinstall what you had before
and upgrade linuxcnc to 2.6.4 as per the instructions

regards

So, what I am hearing is the new distro is "broken" causing the high figures. That's pretty sad!

Once again, the Hardware is NEW.

I will look into re-installing the "OLD" distro and updating that. Seems counter intuitive, but it sounds like that is the only option here.

I see comments such as (PCW - you do not need to re-install linux, assuming you are running ubuntu 10.04 or newer) - which imply that there is a way to run LinuxCNC under the newer versions. Is that something that is published or is is all "sandbox"?

Thanks

More
09 Dec 2014 00:35 #53827 by PCW
Before going back to a 10.04 installation you might check that _ALL_ power management options are disabled in the BIOs:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Troubl...ck_dmesg_for_details

Your huge latencies suggest that something like power management is enabled.

What Motherboard is this? (someone else may have experience with the same hardware)

More
09 Dec 2014 01:17 #53831 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic To upgrade or not

So, what I am hearing is the new distro is "broken" causing the high figures. That's pretty sad!

That is not what anyone is saying.
It is not compatible with your system (whatever it is, you haven't said beyond AMD), either at all or as it is currently configured.

Once again, the Hardware is NEW.

That is irrelevant, it either works well with the 3.4.9 kernel and rtai or it doesn't
If your previous installation worked (don't know what that was either, you didn't say) all you had to do was update the CNC software part ie Linuxcnc, to the desired 2.6.

I would try checking all the BIOS options etc first as PCW suggests. If you haven't done something like add a nvidia GPU card or the like since you tested the 'old system',
the difference in figures is so huge there has to be a discernible reason.

regards

More
09 Dec 2014 04:48 - 09 Dec 2014 23:21 #53834 by pws

Before going back to a 10.04 installation you might check that _ALL_ power management options are disabled in the BIOs:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Troubl...ck_dmesg_for_details

Your huge latencies suggest that something like power management is enabled.

What Motherboard is this? (someone else may have experience with the same hardware)

ASUS F2A85V Pro FM2
AMD A10-5800K
GSkill 16GB
WD Velociraptor 300G
Mesa 6i25

No changes to BIOS were made since original build. I will check again to verify the Power Management settings.

Thanks
Last edit: 09 Dec 2014 23:21 by pws.

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds