5i25/7i77 config locks screen

More
05 Dec 2014 09:56 #53704 by cmtunnel
When I load the 5i25/7i77 config from the forums the screen comes on and locks up. the 7i77 goes from red light to blinking green like it is supposed to. The axis screen comes up but there is nothing to the right where the screen would normally be black with the coordinates, etc. There is a black pointer that will move with the mouse but I can't click on anything.......requires restart. I am also working on pncconf when i can to get my own config going but i am finding the i/o selection confusing and i can't find much info on it.............any help on either of these is greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2014 12:02 #53706 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 5i25/7i77 config locks screen
Sounds like the config your tried is missing something, perhaps some gui extension

You should be able to make a rough start with pncconf, but in any case you will have to
hande edit the hal and perhaps .ini files so suit your specific system

More
05 Dec 2014 19:24 #53711 by cmtunnel
Sounds like the config your tried is missing something, perhaps some gui extension

ok, but how do i tell whats missing.

More
05 Dec 2014 20:10 #53712 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic 5i25/7i77 config locks screen
reading the hal and ini files before running them is probably the best way

In general, unless you know that the configuration is for a similar machine and I/O setup,
running random config files is not a great idea.

I think you are better off running pncconf to create a basic hal file, asking specific questions if you get struck
with pncconf tabs and menus and then finer aspects of configuration can be done from that original pncconf created hal file

More
05 Dec 2014 20:17 - 05 Dec 2014 20:18 #53713 by BigJohnT
What OS and version of LinuxCNC are you using?

Does the sample config on my web site load?

gnipsel.com/linuxcnc/configs/index.html

Is the computer from the last 5 years or so?

Does one of the sample configs from the config picker work?

Does a GUI that doesn't use opengl like keystick work?

JT
Last edit: 05 Dec 2014 20:18 by BigJohnT.

More
06 Dec 2014 02:53 #53733 by cmtunnel
-10.04 with whatever the latest download is

-I think the sample config from your site is the one i used.............I'll reload to be sure

-Pc is older asus w/twin 550's, latency numbers are good, used this pc with the last control....not really sure how old it is.

-pretty sure it runs the sample configs. I'll check again..............the machine is at my shop with no internet.

Not sure about your last question.

Planning to get a new pc but it would be nice to at least get to see some life with the one i have now.

Thanks & I'll get back to you with some answers on your questions.

More
06 Dec 2014 04:54 #53741 by BigJohnT
From the CNC menu pick LinuxCNC and from the config picker pick sim low_graphics and keystick or mini and see if they run ok. If Axis locks it up and keystick or mini does not then it could be and opengl problem. So try the sims to see if that works ok.

JT

More
06 Dec 2014 06:44 - 06 Dec 2014 06:51 #53748 by cmtunnel
ok I'll try that at the shop tomorrow. I tried to run other configs including yours and i get the screen lock on all of them. I also checked the pc and when it boots it says 1999 during the boot sequence so the machine is old.... Hopefully we can overcome that for the short run.

If it's an opengl problem is that something we can deal with or is it new pc time?
Last edit: 06 Dec 2014 06:51 by cmtunnel.

More
07 Dec 2014 01:23 - 07 Dec 2014 07:20 #53772 by cmtunnel
sim mini looks like its working like its supposed to. keystick is locked....I am getting an unexpected realtime delay which may be why keystick isn't responding....getting it with mini also. demesg says that the delay is so large that it may be a realtime config problem. Tklinuxcnc looks like its working too except for the same realtime delay. NowI'm wondering if this is the problem with axis too. When I first checked the machine the max jitter was around 15000 ns now im getting almost 2000000! Suggestions?

edit:

usb stick was causing latency problem. Axis still locks up. I loaded tklinuxcnc into your config and it works. I can even read the encoders! I'm going to keep going with that until we can figure out the axis problem. I am still unable to get my pncconf file to load up. I attached some files that may help figure out why. I'd really like to get pncconf working because I'll be adding lots of features on the machine as I go.
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Dec 2014 07:20 by cmtunnel.

More
07 Dec 2014 22:01 #53786 by BigJohnT
I would try the Ubuntu 8.04 LiveCD on a 1999 computer. I had one computer that would not work with anything newer than 8.04.

JT

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds