Losing My Way

More
30 Jan 2015 01:29 #55455 by jorsborn
Replied by jorsborn on topic Losing My Way
Hmmm... that's no doubt a misunderstanding of the units on velocity. I guess I assumed it was inches per minute. Through my experiments I start to stall at around 350 ipm and so I chose 120 ipm as a maximum velocity. I guess that's 120 ips though. :)

I will take your suggestion on the acceleration and see if that gets me anywhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2015 01:43 #55456 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Losing My Way
A lift from the docs

MAX_VELOCITY = 1.2 - Maximum velocity for this axis in machine units per second.

MAX_ACCELERATION = 20.0 - Maximum acceleration for this axis in machine units per second squared.

Your figures would be high for a metric machine, but when you multiply by 25.4, they are astronomical.

For strong Nema 23s (3 Nm +) with a good high voltage supply, I would probably use somewhere between 25-30mm/sec max velocity and 80-120 mm/sec/sec acceleration
All depends on how many pulses you can get, which depends upon the base-thread being fast and without hiccups and the amount of gearing, multi-stepping and axis weights etc.

That equates to approx 1.2 in/sec and 4.8 in/sec/sec respectively using the higher end of the figures, so you will see that almost exactly matches my divide by 100 and 10 recommendation

Regards base-thread, I usually multiply the best latency figure by 3 and try working down once the speeds are sorted.

regards

More
30 Jan 2015 02:30 - 30 Jan 2015 02:35 #55459 by jorsborn
With the acceleration and velocity lowered as you suggest the problem becomes even more pronounced. I can stand at one side of the gantry and watch the other side begin to move before the side that I am standing at. I believe I am observing this only when there is a change in direction... almost like backlash.

Any thoughts on that?
Last edit: 30 Jan 2015 02:35 by jorsborn.

More
30 Jan 2015 07:44 #55472 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Losing My Way

I can stand at one side of the gantry and watch the other side begin to move before the side that I am standing at

That's probably not what you want :-)

You say you have one set of step/dir pins driving both stepper drives. Are you sure that the output pin can source (or sink) enough current to trigger the pins?

If you have access to both sides of the drive input optos you would probably want to run the slaved inputs in series. But I don't think the G540 supports that wiring.

Go back to two separate sets of parallel port pins run from the same step generator, if you still have the unmodified cable.

This really sounds like a problem outside the software, but it's hard to guess where. As an initial experiment double the step time and make the dir setup time something like 10x longer. You never change direction at high step rates, so it won't matter.

More
30 Jan 2015 15:47 #55478 by jorsborn
No, I am not sure about the drive strength of the parallel port on this motherboard. However, I do know that this problem is persistent through two other parallel ports (one on another motherboard and one on a PCI card). That means nothing, I know. I was wondering if the output voltage of the parallel port might be too close to Vin min on the gecko. I was thinking maybe I'd try to wire in a small board with some optocouplers and a 5V supply. That's a bit of work so I was leaving that until I get absolutely desperate.

The G540 does not support a slave configuration. I'll return it to two separate step/dir pins on the same step generator and make the modifications to the step timing as you have suggested. Fingers crossed....

More
30 Jan 2015 19:32 #55482 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Losing My Way

I was wondering if the output voltage of the parallel port might be too close to Vin min on the gecko.

You can test the DIR pin voltage fairly easily with a multimeter (though you would need a break-out cable or a parport cable with a removable backshell).

You might not need to add extra optocouplers, you could just pull-up the pins to USB 5V with (say) a 500R resistor.

But first you need to be sure that it really is a drive-signal problem. It doesn't 100% sound like one.

More
20 Feb 2015 21:26 - 20 Feb 2015 21:26 #56148 by jorsborn
I sent the G540 into Gecko and they did find that two of the drives had damaged opto-isolators. They did not provide any information so I can't tell if it was the input or output side which was damaged. I just assume these are the opto-isolators for the step and direction inputs too. Anyway, I was happy about that but after installing I found the problem still exists. This time I decoupled the motors from each side of the gantry and ran them with no load. The problem is quite obvious. Have a look for yourself...

I think this pretty well rules out any kind of mechanical issue. I also believe it points to the G540 still. If I swap the motor, the problem follows the drive, not the motor. Keep in mind that this is using one step and direction signal applied to both motors so they should both be receiving the same input.

Next I plan to do some testing to see if one is simply lagging or if one is moving when it shouldn't (noise?). Regardless, I think this implicates the G540 still.

www.dropbox.com/s/1xrnv6fybi8wvy8/2015-0...%2010.59.08.mp4?dl=0
Last edit: 20 Feb 2015 21:26 by jorsborn.

More
20 Feb 2015 21:55 #56152 by alan_3301
Replied by alan_3301 on topic Losing My Way
was it always making that horrible noise?
It sounds like the stepper is stalling, but much worse.

You can check the resistance on all the motor coils and compare them to another motor.

More
20 Feb 2015 21:57 #56153 by jorsborn
No, the noise you hear is a vibration caused by the temporary arrangement. If I were to tighten the motor frame to the bracket and hold the bracket with a clamp you would not hear that.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds