Limit error

More
09 Feb 2015 04:43 #55816 by MAG45
Limit error was created by MAG45
Not sure where to post this, but hope it is okay here.

I am trying to get my CNC cconversion up and runnning again after a couple years of downtime. It was found that I had a burnt resistor on my BOB which was my fault for trying to check for loose wires with the power on and dropped the BOB on the case chassis. I rreplaced the resistor and jumpered a burnt trace, replaced the BOB wired as it was. Now I have to click to 'disable limits' on the GUI to be able to make it active, I can then jog an axis one direction and is soon as I stop the GUI goes dark and i get "limit errors" Can anyone help me with troubleshooting this. A friend put this together for me and I dont have a great understanding of how everything works, but I am learning now.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2015 05:03 #55819 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Limit error
You should try to understand where your limits are connected to.
Check your HAL file, it should contain information about the limits. After you know where they are connected (I assume to your parallel port), you can follow the wires up to the physical stuff.

More
09 Feb 2015 05:05 #55820 by MAG45
Replied by MAG45 on topic Limit error
Yes, they are connected to a parallel port through a BOB (PminMO 4x072105a)

More
09 Feb 2015 09:28 #55826 by MAG45
I just got done disconnecting all the limits from the BOB,, which i checked and were set up as normally open switches. I figure that means not connected at all is the same so it would tell me something is shortiing. Nope, same error. Jog an axis and get joint 0,1 and 2 errors

More
09 Feb 2015 15:52 #55828 by emcPT
Replied by emcPT on topic Limit error
"limit errors" are not the same as "joint errors", and their origin is normally also different.

More
09 Feb 2015 16:47 #55829 by ArcEye
Replied by ArcEye on topic Limit error

I just got done disconnecting all the limits from the BOB,, which i checked and were set up as normally open switches.

Limits should be NC (normally closed). Otherwise the wire can completely detach from the BOB and you will be none the wiser until the machine crashes.

Now I have to click to 'disable limits' on the GUI to be able to make it active,

Sounds like your logic is inverted, but if you sort out the switches and have then NC, that will probably fix it anyway

Nope, same error. Jog an axis and get joint 0,1 and 2 errors

Normally just because your jog speed is set too high and the pulses cannot keep up.
You get the error because the commanded position of the axis does not match the feedback position of where it actually got to

Set it to a slow rate, if it does not happen adjust until you have a reasonable rate that does not error

regards

More
10 Feb 2015 00:18 #55837 by MAG45
Okay, I will swap the switches to NC. The jog speed was set very low, and the settings for the steppers are the same as they were a few years ago when it did run fine.

Is it possible that when i damaged the BOB it could have damaged my PC parallel port and its causing me issues, or that there is other problems with the BOB i can see?

More
10 Feb 2015 00:47 - 10 Feb 2015 00:48 #55838 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Limit error
If it was all working before you messed it up, then I'd say there is most likely still something wrong with the BOB. Use Halmeter to see if there is change in state of parallel port pin when opening and closing the circuit for the limit switch at the BOB. If you are not seeing the signal, then use a resistor (450ohm or so) to test directly at the port pin. If you still can't see a change then the problem is in your p-port, if you can then it's either the BOB or your cable (probably the BOB).

Just need to drill down and isolate the source of the problem, then fix or replace.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 00:48 by Todd Zuercher.

More
10 Feb 2015 01:01 #55839 by MAG45
Okay, this is where I get lost. I know nothing about anything Linux other then running the CNC software. How do I use Halmeter ?

More
10 Feb 2015 02:12 #55842 by MAG45
Running the updates on mt CNC PC now, been a couple years since i did anything with it, maybe some stuff there now that didnt used to be. I didnt see halmeter anywhere.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds