Installing a new PCI ParaPort in linux?

More
25 Mar 2015 02:18 - 25 Mar 2015 02:20 #57158 by lakeweb

I did get a cheap ParaPort off ebay, a dual port Netmos board. I have been only changing the port address in the step config wizard. Do I need to do it in terminal with that command ?

HI MAG45,
I would skip the wizard and go straight for 4743-parallel-port-tester. If you don't have a motor handy use an LED or meter on pin-2. of your breakout board. Get one pin working and the rest will fall into place. Unzip the above tester into a handy folder in your home. Start a terminal, cd to that folder and halrun -I -f ptest.hal should run without any changes to ptest.hal, it just won't work your board yet. To quit, at the terminal halcmd: type exit between tries to unload the connection. Then just keep the ptest.hal open in a mousepad editor and start trying things. The wizard will be too time consuming for this, and for all I know, it may never get it right. I'd keep a copy of ptest.hal in the folder so you can look at where it all started.

Best, Dan.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2015 02:20 by lakeweb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2015 02:25 #57159 by MAG45
Okay, that is all pretty confusing to me. I have never done anything with linux other then run axis when my machine worked. I will see if i can figure out your process.

More
25 Mar 2015 03:08 #57160 by Todd Zuercher
Are you sure you've correctly configured your new C10 board? It requires an external power source (and power supplied to it's enable pin), and some jumpers may need moved around.

More
25 Mar 2015 03:41 #57162 by MAG45
I have not put the new BOB in yet, just doing one thing at a time.

More
25 Mar 2015 07:14 #57164 by MAG45
Not having any luck :-(

This is what ive tried in terminal, i have Ptest in my home folder

mike@mike-shop:~$ cd home
bash: cd: home: No such file or directory
mike@mike-shop:~$ halrun -l -f ptest.hal
halcmd: invalid option -- 'l'
mike@mike-shop:~$ halrun -i -f ptest.hal
Could not open ini file '-f'
mike@mike-shop:~$ halrun -i-f ptest.hal
Could not open ini file '-f'
mike@mike-shop:~$

I did get a cheap ParaPort off ebay, a dual port Netmos board. I have been only changing the port address in the step config wizard. Do I need to do it in terminal with that command ?

HI MAG45,
I would skip the wizard and go straight for 4743-parallel-port-tester. If you don't have a motor handy use an LED or meter on pin-2. of your breakout board. Get one pin working and the rest will fall into place. Unzip the above tester into a handy folder in your home. Start a terminal, cd to that folder and halrun -I -f ptest.hal should run without any changes to ptest.hal, it just won't work your board yet. To quit, at the terminal halcmd: type exit between tries to unload the connection. Then just keep the ptest.hal open in a mousepad editor and start trying things. The wizard will be too time consuming for this, and for all I know, it may never get it right. I'd keep a copy of ptest.hal in the folder so you can look at where it all started.

Best, Dan.

More
25 Mar 2015 08:13 #57165 by lakeweb
HI MAG45,
I know this can be tough. From the terminal type: pwd This will show you where you are. You should be in /home/mike. Then type ls. This will show you what is in the folder.The stuff in blue is folders. If ptest is blue do a cd ptest. Now if you do an ls you should see ptest.hal and ptest.xml, this is good. now you can type: halrun -I -f ptest.hal and it should run. Don't X the gui that pops up to kill it, type exit in the terminal window. To start it again just push the up arrow once and the command will appear. Once you have that working use your gui folder explorer to get to that folder. Right click the ptest.hal and edit in mousepad. Make changes like I did in a previous post, or, post the parallel controller section of a: lspci -v from the perminal window and I'll make my best guess from there. If you do make changes to ptest.hal just control-S and start from terminal: halrun -I -f ptest.hal.

How do you plan to monitor the card? You will need to see if the pin voltage changes to know if it is working.

Best, Dan.

More
25 Mar 2015 08:25 #57166 by MAG45
I did manage to figure out i needed to be in the PTEST folder, but it still gave me the same error as above. I still have my old BOB plugged in which has LEDs to signal pin conditions, was hoping i could use those.

Unfortunately I was in a wheelchair when a friend set this machine up, and im having trouble figuring out the wiring he has done on top of everything else.

More
25 Mar 2015 08:35 #57167 by lakeweb
hi,
you have '-l -f' and '-l-f' for options. it should be -I -f, that is a capital I. In the second case your -i-f are touching, there should be a space. Copy and paste from the post, always a good way to make sure it is right.

Best, Dan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MAG45

More
25 Mar 2015 10:08 - 25 Mar 2015 10:12 #57171 by MAG45
That worked...But i have no response at my BOB

Guess i have the wrong address, lol

0:06.0 Parallel controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9865 Multi-I/O Controller (prog-if 03)
Subsystem: Device a000:2000
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
I/O ports at d400
I/O ports at d800
Memory at d8113000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Memory at d8114000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

00:06.2 Parallel controller: NetMos Technology PCI 9865 Multi-I/O Controller (prog-if 03)
Subsystem: Device a000:2000
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 9
I/O ports at dc00
I/O ports at e000
Memory at d8115000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Memory at d8116000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Last edit: 25 Mar 2015 10:12 by MAG45. Reason: add info

More
25 Mar 2015 10:14 #57172 by MAG45
Does the <access denied> mean anything?

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds