Installing a new PCI ParaPort in linux?

More
02 Apr 2015 15:12 - 02 Apr 2015 15:15 #57424 by ArcEye

My initial problem was random limit errors in the middle of a program it would say a limit switch was active. The guys at CNCzone said it may be the ParaPort.

With the exception of a few people from here who occassionally moonlight on CNCZone, most there know nothing about Linuxcnc.

It could be a lot of things, but by far the most likely is 'noise' on the limits wiring.

It does not take much to induce enough voltage into a 3.3v TTL circuit to trigger a false reading

It is quite a common problem, which can be cured by screening and earthing the wires, using the debounce component or increasing the voltage on that circuit so that it becomes noise immune.

I would suggest that you put your stuff back together again and if the only problem is the random limit activation, come back for directions on using debounce to start with.

regards
Last edit: 02 Apr 2015 15:15 by ArcEye.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2015 20:21 #57428 by MAG45
Okay, I still have to replace the BOB, I shorted the old one on the chasis when i was troubleshooting and fried a tracer and resistor, which i replaced but i want to be sure in case damaged anything else.

More
02 Apr 2015 23:00 #57440 by ArcEye

Well im completely stuck, havent made and progress. Thinking about installing windows and finding software that will work instead.

Wire your new BOB in place of your old one, on the old port, does that work?

So we are right back where we started, until you test a 'good' new BOB on the old port and go from there, it is all speculation.

More
02 Apr 2015 23:07 #57441 by MAG45
Ya, well kinda. The other forum wanted me to get the ParaPort in before they would help with wiring the BOB. They didnt know how to find the address on linux and sent me here. So i had that in my mind as my mission. Then I had a job i needed to get done and since my old BOB would work in manual jogging mode and it was basic work I put it all back the way it was. Now the guy who said to get this BOB and he would help me wire it is not answering my PM's so im still pretty much exactly where I started, yes. Because I didnt initially wire this thing and really dont undererstand what or why my friend did what he did im pretty worried about trying to figure this out on my own.

Thanks for trying to help me get through this mess.

More
03 Apr 2015 00:17 #57443 by Todd Zuercher
I would suggest taking the time to clean up your existing wiring, and spend some time labeling your wires and making some good diagrams.

It shouldn't be overly difficult, just a little tedious. Don't be afraid to ask for help or suggestions.

Doing this will help familiarize you with what is going on with your machine. It will also give you a better idea if there any changes that should be made.

More
03 Apr 2015 00:26 #57444 by MAG45
I agree, this is what i originally wanted to do, untill i got into it and realized I had no Idea what this wire was for, or that relay.....lol, im going to figure it out though !

The two relays confuse me, and the double pull/throw toggle/estop wiring......but just such a mess !

Attachments:

More
03 Apr 2015 00:44 #57445 by Todd Zuercher
Who'd of thought so few wires could make such a big mess.

As in much of life, neatness does count.

Hate to imagine what it could have looked like with servos on top of it.

You have my sympathy.

More
03 Apr 2015 00:47 #57446 by MAG45
LOL, thanks. The sad part is that i build wiring harnesses for engine conversions and im very picky about the wiring being neat, clean, and unseen....this drives me crazy !

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds