Newb plasma table help, love the look on Linux CNC

More
16 Jun 2015 14:00 - 16 Jun 2015 14:03 #59869 by WillyInAus
Hi guys just thought I would drop in have been been using mach3 over the years whilst mach3 has been good to me on two CNC mills
I have built I have found it to be well cluttered and always found it to be quite overwhelming to be honest so much I just dont need.
Whilst watching some youtube videos whilst researching building a CNC plasma cutter I came across a number of people using linuxCNC first thoughts were
how good does that look no clutter to be seen a nice interface but thought na that will be tooo hard to set up.

So yesterday whilst waiting for parts to arrive for my build I came across another youtube video on how to set up linuxCnc it was on a small router top
and was blown away with how easy it was with the help of the wizard, so I grabbed the download chucked it on USB went down to my shed and within 10mins I had motors turning this is nothing special at the moment
just some Chinese 2M542 steppers a cheap Bob and 269oz stepper motors, anyway I have decided that I am going to give it a red hot go on my plasma table build I was just
so impressed with the neatness of it all.

At the moment I have just about finished the Z&Y just waiting on R&P 3:1 kit to turn up from cncrouterparts for the Y&X and the yaxis comes in at approx 38kg so still have work out
what drivers as well as what Nema34 motors to purchase, still trying to work that out :(

The Hypertherm 45 has arrived today so happy with that :woohoo:

But I do have one pressing question though what THC's are people using most of my material will be around 2-6mm mild steel maybe thinner not sure.

Anyhelp would be appreciated on the above especially from the Plasma gurus if you have time.

Oh and mods if this is in the wrong place or you can think of better heading be my guest and change it :P .
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 14:03 by WillyInAus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2015 14:32 - 16 Jun 2015 14:59 #59870 by ImJay
A little unrealted - mods please forgive me.

Hey Willy. Where did you pick up a Hypertherm in Brisbane and for how much (can email me the deets: me @ ljasonh.com cause I'm looking for one locally)?
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 14:59 by ImJay.

More
16 Jun 2015 15:25 #59871 by WillyInAus

Hey Willy. Where did you pick up a Hypertherm in Brisbane and for how much (can email me the deets: me @ ljasonh.com cause I'm looking for one locally)?

Sorry jay purchased through a mates business in melb that owed me a favour he has a hell of a lot of leverage with a Aussie Hypertherm dealer down there (welder does all the big stuff spends a lot of $$$ with them) so I cant give you price.

Best bet is to go to the Hypertherm international site and search the dealers and give them a call, but be ready to swallow your tongue I doubt you will get any change out of 4k you also need a 30amp circuit for it as well something to keep in mind more $$$ to set up.

Tokentools have a 15amp one for about $1250 including machine torch and to get the 50:1 you will pay another $200 on top of that but I am not sure how good it is though.

More
16 Jun 2015 16:38 #59873 by ImJay

Sorry jay purchased through a mates business in melb that owed me a favour he has a hell of a lot of leverage with a Aussie Hypertherm dealer down there (welder does all the big stuff spends a lot of $$$ with them) so I cant give you price.

Best bet is to go to the Hypertherm international site and search the dealers and give them a call, but be ready to swallow your tongue I doubt you will get any change out of 4k you also need a 30amp circuit for it as well something to keep in mind more $$$ to set up.

Tokentools have a 15amp one for about $1250 including machine torch and to get the 50:1 you will pay another $200 on top of that but I am not sure how good it is though.

Man, I need mates like that, or someone to hook me up. :P
Unless I get a good price I have to still to a generic (or less known) brand - apprentice wages suck!

Buying> a tour of your shed to see your plasma setup, hell I live in Camira.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I came across this so I hope it helps (if you haven't seen it already) wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Gantry...ch_Height_Controller

All the best,
- Jay.

More
16 Jun 2015 16:46 #59874 by WillyInAus
Maybe one day jay need to get it up and running first and it all insured.
Keep an eye on my posts :P and remind me when I have it running.

More
16 Jun 2015 17:59 #59875 by BigJohnT
I use the Mesa THCAD card to send the tip voltage to the LinuxCNC

My Plasma gnipsel.com/shop/plasma/plasma.xhtml

For very thin stock make sure you can meet the speed requirements. The thinner the stock the faster you have to go.

If your cutting artsy stuff with lots of short lines and arcs use 2.7 the trajectory planner is much better at keep the speed up.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: WillyInAus

More
16 Jun 2015 18:21 #59878 by emcPT

But I do have one pressing question though what THC's are people using most of my material will be around 2-6mm mild steel maybe thinner not sure.

I use THC 10 . It works quite nice although the hal implementation is not trivial, but like others things in linuxcnc, after they are done, they are stable, and that is what is needed in a machine.

You can see it working here:

Thin plates are the most demanding for THC as the thermal energy shapes the plate during cutting.

More
17 Jun 2015 04:55 #59895 by WillyInAus
Thanks guys had a look at the mesa card and its out of stock and was reading on the Linux forums and they seem to be behind on their orders :unsure: .
So with another few hours of reading i think I will go with the Proma 150 granted it only works with the 2mm and up but I can live with that and see how it things pan out maybe try the mesa THC a bit down the track.

More
17 Jun 2015 05:08 #59896 by WillyInAus
Sent a PM to Tom over on the Zone and have received a reply thus have decided to go with the proma and see how it works out.

More
17 Jun 2015 05:18 #59897 by tommylight
Hi Willy,
I have replied to your PM, but here it is in case anyone else needs it:

In the attached config you already have the how to with detailed explanation, and if you already have a working linuxcnc it will be even easier since you already have the setting for the machine ready. Just copy and paste the AXIS section in the ini file from your config to the proma thc one and do the changes for pin out/in in the attached hal files. That is it! you can test your inputs by running the test on the proma thc and checking the LED on the linuxcnc screen. Run some tests and make adjustments to voltage on the THC and speed on linuxcnc and you should be running in about half an hour.

Btw, your explanation of differences between mach3 and linuxcnc should be printed and framed for anyone who is still using mach3, but then again a lot of folks use mach3 without to many troubles, so to each it's own.
I personaly try to avoid it, but i do need to work with it since i have clients that are familiar with using it.
As a side note, i can configure linuxcnc to control my entire house and workshop and ........even the gates and the coffee machine if the need should arise, and despite all this i still find people here that are way more capable at configuring linuxcnc.

Regards,
Tom

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds