Do LinuxCNC and Ubuntu 14.04 mix?

More
17 Aug 2015 02:41 - 17 Aug 2015 02:41 #61459 by BOHICAMAN
I finally smartened up and began converting over from Windows (and Mach3) to Linux/Ubuntu.

I am looking at LinuxCNC and reading a lot about it. However, a simple question I can not find an answer too is, Can it be installed into Ubuntu 14.04. All I seem to see about that is a generalized. I've read, Don't change installed distribution as LinuxCNC will not work without it's required kernel. WHAT??? Other readings I see only seem to talk about installing LinuxCNC on Ubuntu distributions of 10.xx and lower.

I did download an LinuxCNC.iso file, however, I later read it also had Ubuntu included and would install it- but it didn't say what version. Needless to say I didn't use it.

Being new to Linux/Ubuntu, I don't want to screw things up and wind up reloading everything on my current dual-boot system. So, can some one tell me if it will load onto Ubuntu 14.04, and a good site for downloading. Thanks!
Last edit: 17 Aug 2015 02:41 by BOHICAMAN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2015 02:48 #61460 by BigJohnT
The best place to look (if you know where) is the LinuxCNC Documentation.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-s...etting-linuxcnc.html

Other ways of installing LinuxCNC and a realtime kernel are covered here.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Installing_LinuxCNC

The current LiveCD uses Debian Wheezy.

LinuxCNC requires a real time kernel to be able to work without interruptions. A standard kernel is not compatible with LinuxCNC.

JT

More
17 Aug 2015 03:05 #61461 by BOHICAMAN
I really appreciate the quick response. Unfortunately, I read the docs you referenced. They didn't help as I assume they were written for someone with a working knowledge of Linux and it's jargon. Being new to the operating system and it's UNBELIEVABLE number of distributions, kernels, etc., for me it is kind of like reading Chinese!

I have no problem reading and learning the system. I program in 5-6 languages, built the computer I'm using here from scratch, so I'll eventually figure it all out. Just thought I could speed up the process of getting my CNC machine back up and running quicker. Guess I'll have to wait till I figure out what my Ubuntu 14.04 system has and what the documentation says I need, till I get it going again.

More
17 Aug 2015 03:19 #61462 by BigJohnT
That's why we have the LiveCD on the Downloads page so you don't have to know anything about Linux to get a real time kernel and LinuxCNC. You just need to follow the simple steps here to download and burn the DVD (it's grown out of a CD).

So you don't need to get dizzy just follow the simple instructions written for a non Linux person here and you will get the latest version of LinuxCNC along with Debian Wheezy.

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-s...etting-linuxcnc.html

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOHICAMAN

More
17 Aug 2015 03:24 #61463 by BOHICAMAN
Ok, will give it a try! Thanks!

I guess I just don't have enough knowledge yet to know if it would have changed/screwed up the operating system I don't know much about. Having delt with Windows for years, that is kind of the standard this that goes wrong when you start making changes.

Again, Thanks!

More
18 Aug 2015 23:33 #61517 by BOHICAMAN
I downloaded the .iso and burned a Live DVD per the instructions. When I ran it, I changed the BIOS to read the DVD drive first and re-booted. I got the Ubuntu logo screen and watched the dots below the logo change from white to red for over five minutes. Apparently there is a problem.

System: 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5820K, 384 kilobyte primary memory cache, 1536 kilobyte secondary memory cache, 15360 kilobyte tertiary memory cache, 64-bit ready, Multi-core (6 total), Hyper-threaded (12 total) on a ASUS X99-A MOBO. 16GB RAM, with10+TB of storage; Dual boot (Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 14.04)

Two questions:
1- Does anyone have an idea of what the boot problem may be (other than operator ignorance/error!)? Please remember I am just learning Linux and it's boggling amount of new terms/kernels/versions,etc.!!
2- Is there an install program that will put LinuxCNC directly into (my already installed version of) Ubuntu 14.04 ?

Thanks in advance!

More
19 Aug 2015 00:31 #61519 by Todd Zuercher
If the ISO you down loaded tries to start Ubuntu, I'm pretty sure that it would be one of the older ISOs using Ubuntu (probably 10.04 the last version of Ubuntu used for Linuxcnc's ISOs). The newer ISOs are the Hybrid ones that need to be on a DVD, and run Debian Wheezy. It is not surprising that a newer system such as yours might not run off the older ISOs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOHICAMAN

More
19 Aug 2015 01:03 #61522 by BOHICAMAN
So, If I understand correctly, I can't put LinuxCNC into Ubuntu at the present time? I did re-do the download and burned a new DVD. When I tried it, I go to the Debian-Wheezy OS off the DVD.

Once again, as a new Linux user, I'm not sure how this all works...

If I choose to install this package, will it add another operating system (Debian) and partition, or over-write my Ubuntu partition. OR, should I just leave it on DVD and work from there for now?

Thanks!

More
19 Aug 2015 02:25 #61529 by BigJohnT
My guess is you first downloaded 2.5 which was on Ubuntu 10.04.

I would play with the DVD until your ready to install it.

JT

More
19 Aug 2015 02:30 #61531 by BOHICAMAN
That's my current plan...learn off the DVD and see if I like the program (which from what I have seen so far, I will). But, once again, if installed, will it add another operating system (Debian) and partition, or over-write my Ubuntu partition?

Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.352 seconds