Do LinuxCNC and Ubuntu 14.04 mix?

More
19 Aug 2015 03:01 #61532 by BigJohnT
That depends on the choices you make during the install. I always use the whole disk as I'm usually installing into a CNC machine. Others can guide you on dual partitions.

JT
The following user(s) said Thank You: BOHICAMAN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2015 03:04 #61533 by BOHICAMAN
Once again, THANKS! While I continue to read up on all things Linux, the insight/experience here saves a lot of time!

I think I'm going to really like Linux & Ubuntu!

More
19 Aug 2015 17:20 #61544 by ArcEye

I think I'm going to really like Linux & Ubuntu!

I fear you have not grasped a couple of points.

Unless you can build your own Linuxcnc, plus rtai kernel and RTAI, there is NO option to use Ubuntu 14.04

You can install a complete system based on 10.04 or Debian Wheezy

Your computer is hopelessly over spec for a machine controller, (similar to my house computer except mine is 8 core) and will not boot the 10.04 based CD

Your only option on that computer is the Wheezy based distro on DVD, either running as a live DVD (veeeerrrrry slow) or installing to a separate partition on your HDD (best option)
www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/ia64/ch06...html.en#di-partition

If you have 10TB of storage, it should be partitioned already, but windoze likes to have a huge hogging expanse of storage that it will never use, so that it can deny it to other systems.
You only need 100GB absolute max for a partition.

I have 4 HDDs totalling approx 7TB, with over 50 partitions, a good 10 of those bootable with different OS's on them, so with that kind of storage you can play to your hearts content and
experiment with Linuxcnc

regards

More
19 Aug 2015 22:10 #61555 by BOHICAMAN
Appreciate the candor and assistance. Turned on a light in my senile head! Sometimes learning these things is like going to a foreign country. You get overwhelmed with language and culture at first. While I was busy looking at all things confusing me about Linux, I forgot about the partitions and such as you mentioned. Thanks!

Just as a side note: My system was built originally for Windows and a lot of programming for graphic and video rendering. The CNC stuff is a side hobby that I really enjoy. I'm just tired of having to purchase new software/hardware every time the manufacturer makes a change!

Again, Thanks to all for your assistance!

More
19 Aug 2015 22:27 #61557 by ArcEye
No worries, it is all gibberish for the first few weeks and gradually things start to stick.

Just as a side note: My system was built originally for Windows and a lot of programming for graphic and video rendering.

By the same dint, my house computer is completely over spec for a machine controller too and would not run any machine well. :laugh:

It does however build Linuxcnc in under a minute and a complete kernel in 4 minutes!
If I create a RAM disk, I can get much faster than that!
So it is ideal for development.

With a 2GB GPU and 16GB RAM, it also renders games extremely well for those moments of relaxation B)

regards

Time to create page: 0.078 seconds