Is there an easy way to swap axes?

More
27 Aug 2024 16:43 - 27 Aug 2024 16:44 #308824 by timo
Not really of any use for the issue, But if I am afraid to brick the machine, I just put a 2nd hard drive in, swap the physical connectors and start playing. Not much risk and a new SSD cost me 15Euros.
I use a USB enclosure to transfer files between the "experimental" and the "working" system.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2024 16:44 by timo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: spumco

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2024 17:32 #308833 by spumco

Thanks guys. I was following Andys instructions, and didn't rename all the signals names, as I figured the more I changed the more I would screw up, but it didn't help and I still ended up tied in knots. :)

Is switchkins useable with LinuxCNC 2.7? I have never updated the Maho to a Joints based version, as I am afraid of breaking a working system. I have that gearbox comp working and am loath risking bricking the machine.
Cheers,
Mark

Based on the manuals, it looks like switchkins started with 2.9.

Try renumbering the Y/Z axes in HAL like I suggested.

If that doesn't work, @timo's excellent idea is a brick-proof way to keep your vertical config safe while you fiddle with upgrading to 2.9.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
27 Aug 2024 19:02 #308847 by RotarySMP
Good idea. I actually use a CF Card as a HD on that machine, so it would be really easy to clone it.

More
28 Aug 2024 14:09 - 28 Aug 2024 19:31 #308894 by Masiwood123
I don't know the way, maybe working on the postprocessor itself would help.
youtube.com/shorts/fRpVFvaf_1Y?feature=share
if you use solidCam, i  have one that has the possibility of programming side drilling, milling, milling at a fixed angle.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2024 19:31 by Masiwood123.

More
30 Aug 2024 05:22 #309002 by RotarySMP
I manually did that to finish the job, but it doesn't address the behaviours like tool length offset which are associated with Z.

More
30 Aug 2024 08:26 #309011 by Masiwood123
this postprocessor refers to tool center, not tool length, so it exports gcode in relation to how you turned the spindle manually, straight or at an angle,  
it calculates the z coordinate in relation to the angle at which the tool is.
Attachments:

More
30 Aug 2024 08:42 #309012 by Aciera
I have converted 2 mills with vertical and horizontal configurations. One does the switch in hal and the other does the switch in a custom kinematic.
I'd like to help but I'm not familiar with configs before 2.8.

More
30 Aug 2024 12:40 #309017 by tommylight
There are many ways to change axis/joints as noted on the other posts.
I am not clear on changing YZ to ZY though, does the Maho move the table up/down?
-
All text editors have a "search and replace" function or CTRL+H , so usually takes about 2 minutes to change axis/joints, as an example, search and replace all stepgen.01 to stepgen.77 first, then stepgen.02 to stepgen.01, then stpegen.77 to stepgen.02.
Failing to do that ends up in a huge mess! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RotarySMP

More
30 Aug 2024 13:48 #309023 by RotarySMP
Hi Tommy,

Yes the Maho is a deckel consul style machine so the table moves up/down and left right, with the spindles mounted on top the column moving in/out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
30 Aug 2024 14:21 #309027 by tommylight
I might have cut the question short, is the moving up/down part set as Z axis? Or does it have a Z on the head part?
I have seen your Maho many times, but never checked how the head is mounted, so i am trying to figure out why the need for changing axis, if the table is set as Z axis, nothing changes from vertical to horizontal, but if the Z is on the head, yup that changes everything regarding tools and offsets and....

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds