Index Homing odd offset

More
19 Oct 2015 20:22 #63938 by OT-CNC
Hi,

I'm running ver 2.7.0 pre6 and I'm experiencing an odd offset after homing the Z on my lathe. The machine home has shifted by ~ 3/4"!
I tried to clear any G92 and I don't see any tool offset values in effect.
I'm still in the initial configuration stages and newbee, so I may be doing something wrong.

The Z home index routine worked initially. I have it setup to pull the Z towards a switch, backs off, looks for the index pulse, continues moving past that .025, stops and set machine home to Z0.

This routine changed after I had a joint following error when I was experimenting bumping up the feed in the ini file. I did not change any values in the homing routine.
Homing after the following error caused it to travel away from the index pulse by around 3/4".
I do know that the dro values changed. I jogged the axis when the drives were powered off, resulting in a positional difference that I was expecting to zero back out by homing.

Assuming the motor shaft, encoder and ballscrew alignment didn't change, what causes the machine zero to shift???
As a result, the soft limits are also off.

I need help restoring the original machine home. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2015 23:36 #63964 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Index Homing odd offset
Are you using the software encoder counter or hardware?

Is it possible that the counter is missing the first index?
Does the offset correspond to any integer multiples of motor revs?

Home position is in absolute coordinates so no G-code offsets should have any effect.

Perhaps try a slower latch velocity as an experiment?

More
20 Oct 2015 02:36 #63974 by OT-CNC
Replied by OT-CNC on topic Index Homing odd offset
I assume that I'm reading in the index off my encoder on the servo. I can read in the signal, so I think that works. I'm not familiar with the software encoder counter.
Is there a setting in the ini file for that? In case I need to turn it off?
I have the ini file set under axis to HOME_USE_INDEX=YES. The search velocity is at .05, latch velocity at -.030 and final velocity at .030. HOME=0.0, HOME_OFFSET=0.02500
The index seems to trigger at the same spot each homing routine. It just no longer stops where it's supposed to.

I will check to see what the actual travel is to see if it's corresponding to any integer multiples of the motor revs.
If the index signal is not read in, is the motor supposed to stop turning after a few revs?

More
20 Oct 2015 02:42 #63975 by andypugh
Not related to the issue, but HOME_SEARCH_VELOCITY would normally be close to rapid speed.

If you are not using the software encoder counter what is counting your encoder pulses?

More
20 Oct 2015 03:30 #63979 by OT-CNC
I wanted to keep the search velocity low as I was not certain what to expect on my initial setup. I may or may not bump it up. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm using the 7i85s and 5i25 from mesa to interface my encoders to linuxcnc.
What is the difference between software and hardware encoder counters? Sorry you got to dumb it down...

More
20 Oct 2015 04:38 #63983 by andypugh

I'm using the 7i85s and 5i25 from mesa to interface my encoders to linuxcnc.
What is the difference between software and hardware encoder counters? Sorry you got to dumb it down...

Mesa encoder counters would be classed as "hardware" so we can discount the possibility of a missed index.

Is your DRO showing absolute position of relative position?

If you issue the command G53 G0 Z0 does the carriage go back to where you expected?

More
20 Oct 2015 11:34 #63988 by OT-CNC
Just got back from the shop. I tried a few things and it looks like the homing routine just does not work properly.

The machine position values in the dro and position of the slide affects how the homing occurs. If let's say as an example the carriage is positioned at Z-2", and the dro shows Z-3" it will over run the home switch I assume by 1". It will trigger the home switch,reverse, reach the index, then reverse direction and move into my limit switch. It does not seem to zero out the dro.
If the value in the dro is closer to 0" and the position of the slide is -.1" off the home switch, the homing routine works. Carriage moves towards home switch, triggers, moves away from the switch, reads index and continues moving away in the same direction to the same location ~ .1" off the switch.
This seems correct and repeats.
The machine is trying to move to 0 based on the dro abs values regardless of the home/index signals.
Is this a bug?

More
20 Oct 2015 16:13 #63993 by andypugh

Is this a bug?

No. Index homing definitely works.

Can you set up Halscope to watch the ...encoder.N.index-enable pins during a homing move?

Is it possible that the combination of machine velocity and accel settings is such that the machine runs right past the home switch?

A typical sequence will be to rapid on to the switch, rapid off the switch, slow move on to the switch.
If the machine can't stop from SEARCH_VELOCITY before it is "though" the switch then the final search will be on the wrong side of the switch and will run to the end stop.

More
20 Oct 2015 20:58 #64003 by OT-CNC
The machine is creeping slowly towards the switch. I will confirm that I'm getting a clean index and home signal but I'm pretty sure it reads because there is a distinct change in velocity when the index is triggered and the index is always at the same point after hitting the home switch.
I will further reduce the speed to see if anything changes.

More
21 Oct 2015 06:01 #64022 by OT-CNC
Okay, just looked at axis.2.index-enable (pins), z-index-enable(signals), hm2_5i25.0.encoder.02.index-enable(pins), all show a signal.

I can repeat the error. Another example is jogging the axis say into the middle of machine travel, click on home all, I then manually trigger the home switch with my finger, the axis will travel all the way back to the original z0. near the end of travel. I can watch the dro display rewind to 0. Instead of parking around .1" from receiving the signal which in this example would be somewhere in the middle of travel.

Is it dismissing the trigger or not setting the dro to 0 when it gets the signal?

Homing without index zeros the dro and works as expected.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds