Upgrading and migrating the LinuxCNC Forum

More
20 Oct 2015 04:06 - 13 Nov 2015 14:46 #63981 by jepler
Recently we have had several outages of the LinuxCNC website and forum. These occur because our site uses very old software versions. From time
to time, the hosting provider sends us e-mail reminders to upgrade, and disables the website temporarily as "encouragement".

Unfortunately, there is no automated upgrade process from these very old versions to current supported versions. This is why up to now we have taken the easy way out and reenabled the website without making the version upgrades reqested by the hosting provider.

Now I have done the necessary work to migrate the existing forum to current versions (Joomla 3.4 and Kunena 4.0.6 for those keeping track at home) on a new hosting provider. I believe I have successfully copied all users, posts, and attachments to a new testing system.

Here are some things that are known to be missing from the new site that will not prevent the migration:
  • the user map feature is gone
  • most user profile pictures are gone
  • not all user permissions (such as forum moderator) will be automatically migrated
If the reports are generally positive and I'm able to fix any show-stopping problems that are found by your testing, then my plan is to:
  • announce a date and time at which we will make the current forum read-only
  • do the migration work a second time, getting all accounts, posts, and attachments copied over to the new system
  • enable the new website at forum.linuxcnc.org/ and redirect from www.linuxcnc.org/forum/ to the new forum
  • at a later time, switch www.linuxcnc.org to a static site generator

By doing this, we will be in a better position to keep our forum software up to date, and www.linuxcnc.org will not experience downtime because of problems with the forum software.

I hope that I will be able to do the real migration either the weekend of 7-8 November or 14-15 November.

If you are a technical person already familiar with PHP and Joomla (knowledge of Kunena also helpful) who can commit to the responsibility of maintaining forum.linuxcnc.org and keeping it up to date on a volunteer basis, please get in touch. We could use some help keeping on top of site maintainance.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 14:46 by jepler. Reason: deleted link to temporary site, now defunct
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike_Eitel, Rick G

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2015 14:30 #63991 by cncbasher
can't see anything obviously wrong Jeff

More
20 Oct 2015 17:28 #63994 by BigJohnT
Just some style observations, the right hand column seems out of place and overlaps the main content. I would drop the right hand column and reduce the padding to a couple of pixels to maximize the content viewing window. Other than that I can't see anything that does not work.

JT

More
20 Oct 2015 19:41 #64000 by jepler
Someone who is skilled at it can definitely tweak the themes after the migration. The appearance the testing site has now is essentially the original default that the joomla and kunena.

That said, I tried in firefox and chrome at a variety of window widths and never saw the right hand column overlap the main content. Are you using an unusual browser?

More
20 Oct 2015 19:52 - 20 Oct 2015 19:54 #64001 by BigJohnT
I'm just using Firefox on a Windoze XP machine. I just looked again when I open a section up the section numbers are under the right column due to my narrow main window. I keep two windows open at the same time the Firefox and my mail reader. No biggie I'm sure I can sort that out when it is live.

JT
Last edit: 20 Oct 2015 19:54 by BigJohnT.

More
23 Oct 2015 07:02 - 23 Oct 2015 07:05 #64166 by tommylight
I had a quick look and it seems o.k. and works as it should.
That said, i am (or was) a network admin for several web sites and for some big organisations ( namely United Nations and Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe ) so i can help with the maintenance, or whatever is required.
Regards,
Tom

BTW, i exclusively use Linux on all my laptops and computers (over 15 of them :) :) )
Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 07:05 by tommylight. Reason: added BTW

More
23 Oct 2015 19:05 #64174 by BigJohnT
I found the right settings to fix that.

JT

More
07 Nov 2015 15:07 #64960 by jepler
If you are reading this reply, you are on the new forum. Hooray.

More
08 Nov 2015 12:37 #64967 by BigJohnT
I can even read this on my phone!

JT

More
08 Nov 2015 22:39 #64993 by tommylight
Got the e-mail but was busy programming a KUKA KR150 robot for welding elliptical metal tubes.
Nice to be back and thank you for getting everything working, i know from experience it is no easy task.
Tom

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds