Where to start with Mesa 7i92 + 7i85S

More
22 Apr 2016 01:55 #73705 by PCW
A couple of things
1. Dont use PWM mode 4, the only thing this will do is swap the PWM and DIR
pins which is just going to add to the confusion (set it to mode 1)
2. As mentioned before, you need to have a 50% duty cycle offset in the PWM and bound the PWM to perhaps 10 and 90%
duty cycle, This will require using the scale component with an offset and using the PID max-output parameter to limits its range

For example set the PWM scale to 100 (so its in %)
add an offset of 50 to the PID output via the scale comp
and bound the PID output to +-40 via the maxoutput parameter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2016 18:37 #76119 by KroniK
Techrat or Jrjones,

Have you guys had any further progress? I have a ProtoTrak M3 system on my mill, and was looking at doing the conversion myself. Hoping that maybe at least one of you has been able to get everything working.

Thanks

More
17 Jun 2016 11:17 #76205 by techrat
Hi there,

I have had some pretty good success. So far I only have one axis hooked up and operating but that axis appears to be working pretty well. Seeing that all three servo units appear to be identical, I am confident that the remainder will work correctly. I am actually in the process of creating a breakout that will connect the existing cabling on the MX3 to the Mesa board with no modification to the stock wiring. Once this is done, I will report back. I also do want to post up my configuration files to this thread for a sanity check soon. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

Jeff

More
18 Jun 2016 03:09 #76236 by KroniK
Awesome to hear. I would love to get your diagram when you get that finished. I was thinking of doing the same thing. I think taking a serial cable from the existing box where the servos plug in and wiring that to the new driver board (or possibly attempting to stash the driver board inside that box) seems like the simple way to go. I might just get a cheap project box for the driver and mill out an opening for another serial connector and mount that box right next to where the servos plug in.

Have you determined what you are going to do for an E-Stop and how you are going to wire that into the system? My system has the E-stop connected to the main power for the servos so that when you hit the stop, it just cuts the 110v.

More
12 Jul 2016 01:49 #77327 by techrat

Have you determined what you are going to do for an E-Stop and how you are going to wire that into the system? My system has the E-stop connected to the main power for the servos so that when you hit the stop, it just cuts the 110v.

For the time being, I am going to stick with the same E-stop that you currently have. From an "Emergency" Standpoint, it does cut power to the servos which seems like a reasonable thing to do. Down the road, I might consider integrating with both Linux CNC and the Spindle Motor.

More
12 Jul 2016 01:57 #77328 by techrat
Progress Update:

I now have all three axes controlled by LinuxCNC through the Mesa Board. I have put together a breakout board that allows the factory DB37 and DB25 cables to be used to connect the Mesa 7185s to the machine. I probably can refine the PID tuning some but at this time, all 3 axes are moving in the proper direction at what looks to be the proper scale. I still need to mount the Mesa as well as the breakout boards permanently.

The next tasks will be to connecting up Limit Switches and perhaps E-Stop and Jog Wheel. I may look at making some chips to verify that the servos are functional and tuned well before refining the control end of things.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the progress.

More
26 Feb 2020 00:58 #158502 by huntert98
Hello techrat, glad to hear of the success.

I am trying to achieve the exact same thing, a Prototrak MX3 with Mesa 5i25 and a 7i85s.
Do you have any of your configuration files for what youve done here? Also, any other suggestions on how to do this? Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

More
17 Jun 2023 07:37 - 17 Jun 2023 11:29 #273736 by Johan1967
Hello, new to this, interesting reading.
I have accidently broken a Prototrak MX3 with AGE3 by putting 230v into 115V input in the computer box, stupid, yes!. I will change blown fuses and see if it's totally fubar or not.
What would be the easiest way to change the  the whole electronics out and put in linuxcnc if the servo motors are ok, what would i need?
Ie drivers and boards? What combinations of boards and how many? XYZ 
Best regards Johan
Edit:
Only broken component was a Varistor, except for fuses...
Up and running, everything marked with yellow tape "115V", even inside on the power supply.
Strange enough the old broken one was strapped "230V".
/Johan 

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jun 2023 11:29 by Johan1967. Reason: Complementary info...

More
25 Jun 2023 20:54 #274207 by andypugh
See what is briken first. If you need new servo drives then the nature of those will determine what the rest of the system will look like.

Do you know if your servos use encoders, resolvers or tachometers?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johan1967

More
26 Jun 2023 00:30 #274216 by Johan1967
There was only a vdr resistor, that one is changed to a new one.
The machine is up running again with AGE 3.
So the servos can be kept.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds