spindle turns when energized, should not

More
22 Nov 2015 17:42 #65664 by comjon
I hope this is a simple question. I wired the Mesa Spinx1 terms to corresponding posts on my Minarik 32001. The manuals for both the Spinx1 and Minarik are clear on how to physically wire these board, however, when I provide my 1/5 h.p spindle motor 110v, the spindle turns even though LinuxCNC hal files have loaded and the Spinx1 is energized with 5VDC.

I can launch LinuxCNC and send S commands that change the rpms ever so slightly. My guess is by wiring all three Spinx1 terminals to three Minarik terminal posts I have shorted the Minarik to turn; when I remove the wire between the Spinx SPV to the Minarik's INH (inhibitor) teminal, the spindle runs wide open at max rpms.

It seems logical, before I begin editing HAL files, I ought to make certain the wiring from the Spinx1 to Minarik disables the spindle from turning until LinuxCNC is loaded and LinuxCNC's EStop is reverted and MDI is activated to accept M and S commands.

I am trying my best to take one step at a time setting up my Spinx1 board. It seems the first order business is ensuring the spindle can only begin turning once LinuxCNC is loaded, Estop reverted, MDI is selected, and an M/S combination entered.

If I am correct, this ought to be resolved through proper wiring between the Spinx1 and Minarik 32001 board.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2015 20:58 - 22 Nov 2015 21:08 #65670 by cncbasher
the estop should not really be interfaced to the spinx you should use amplifier enable

if you disconnect your spinx to the pc , you should be able to have zero rotation , i.e no pwm
i'll take a look at the spinx manual , i have not used one yet , but should be simple to implement

...ok
you have an enable pin with that to 0v ( gnd) pc side NOT miniark.
then the spindle should not turn
the dir pin give you cw & ccw dir depending on if it is held at 5v or 0v dc
and of course pwm input

the spinx is for analog 0 - 10v control i.e across a pot ,

i would be very careful of a miniark it is my understanding that the speed control pot is not at dc , but is actually at AC potential
so at 110 or 220 volts , and if a pot is fitted it varys up to say 240
i have a feeling you need a isolated design , such as the one homman designs do ,

i would have words with PCW just to clarifiy ,
i hope i am wrong , but just in case worth checking

have you any information on the miniark schematic etc
then we would know for sure

there was a design in Digital machinist modifiying one for speed control , i'm sure
Last edit: 22 Nov 2015 21:08 by cncbasher.
The following user(s) said Thank You: comjon

More
23 Nov 2015 03:35 - 23 Nov 2015 04:19 #65682 by comjon
Cncbasher,

Some answers for you.

The voltage across the pot is less than 10v. This is a micro mill. The spindle runs at .20 horsepower. I have rewired the Spinx1 SPV terminals to the Minarik term posts just about every way possible. Kind of stupid, but nothing has smoked and the Spinx1 is undamaged.

The Minarik manual is here , and the Spinx1 manual here .

The spindle turns without the PC and Spinx on, therefore my current configuration may be suitable for testing, but the spindle should NEVER (primarily for safety) turn unless LinuxCNC has loaded hal or custom.hal and the operator has entered MDI mode or is running a drip-fed or line-by-line-at-the-console job.

The Minarik manual (see above link) suggests only two wires from the Spinx to the Minarik are required (possibly using the Spinx more as a rheostat????) ; currently I have wired three from SP-, SPV, and SP+ to the Minarik, so it seems no surprise the spindle turns when plugged in to 110v.

Let me check Digital Machinist first and follow up with you. No sense in you chasing down the rabbit hole for something I can solve myself (hopefully).

Thanks buddy.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 04:19 by comjon.

More
23 Nov 2015 16:40 #65703 by andypugh
I think that the SPINX1 is a digital potentiometer. This may mean that it won't act as a 0 to 5V output, which is what the motor drive is expecting.

You may need to connect 5V to the SPINX1 +V pin. But they say "isolated" so check voltages before making any connections. The spindle drive on my Mini-mill had 100V + between the potentiometer pins and chassis gnd.

You might be better wiring the SPINX1 as a potentiometer.

More
23 Nov 2015 18:02 #65706 by cncbasher
wiring using the sp terminals as if it was a pot (sp - gnd sideo of pot V= Slider , sp+ top or hot side of pot ) , would be far better as andy commented .
these controllers are extremely common and used in a lot of chinese and shireline type of machine)

More
24 Nov 2015 15:25 #65734 by OT-CNC

I am trying my best to take one step at a time setting up my Spinx1 board. It seems the first order business is ensuring the spindle can only begin turning once LinuxCNC is loaded, Estop reverted, MDI is selected, and an M/S combination entered.

The first thing you should do is make sure your drive works with a pot connected. Then adjust your drives calibration pots to make sure you get the speed range you are looking for. So if you turn your main pot to zero you get no speed. This way you know that the drive is working. Then ,like suggested, just replace the pot by wiring the spinx to those terminals (S1,S2,S3)
Also, the spinx is looking for an enable signal from linuxcnc before it will output pwm and direction. When off, it should not power up your motor. You may need to invert the output of your enable signal so it's off when commanded to be off. I think the spinx is looking for a low to become active.
On the spinx, there are 3 leds that will help you trouble shoot the signals coming from Linuxcnc. Middle led should come on green if it sees the enable, the left one should come on if pwm is working and the other comes on if CW dir is on. Make sure that works properly.
If you want to tie in an estop safety, you need to add a separate AC relay to your line input L1.

More
24 Nov 2015 15:40 - 24 Nov 2015 15:41 #65736 by comjon
FTM: The Spinx1 provides 3 outputs for spindle direction control, spindle enable, and other applications.

These outputs are all isolated from each other, can switch a maximum of 50 mA at 0- 100v.

Am I correct I need to wire in the ENABLE+ to the Minarik in order to achieve my goal?
Last edit: 24 Nov 2015 15:41 by comjon. Reason: Wrong electrical notation

More
24 Nov 2015 17:00 #65740 by OT-CNC
No. I didn't see an enable input for your drive. Your enable out from the spin x is not needed.
There is also no CW/CCW input on your drive. You leave those out on the output.

More
24 Nov 2015 17:10 #65741 by andypugh
I think that the potentiometer is stopped in the middle position.

I can see this being something of a problem until LinuxCNC has taken charge of the SPINX1. I would suggest a solid-state relay driven by the enable output in the spindle drive power feed. SSRs only cost a few quid on eBay.

More
24 Nov 2015 17:49 #65744 by OT-CNC

I think that the potentiometer is stopped in the middle position.

I'm not following. Are you saying that the spinx acts as if the pot is stuck at 1/2 when not enabled?
I have not seen my spindle turn on or do anything unexpected during power cycles on my VFD.

I realize his is not the same setup as mine but I'm interested to learn more...

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds