spindle turns when energized, should not

More
24 Nov 2015 17:51 - 24 Nov 2015 17:51 #65746 by andypugh

I'm not following. Are you saying that the spinx acts as if the pot is stuck at 1/2 when not enabled? .

No, I am saying that it looks like the Minarik drive stops the motor with the potentiometer in the middle position.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2015 17:51 by andypugh.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2015 14:37 #65775 by comjon
Consider the topic closed, gentleman, as I will energize the spindle motor after LinuxCNC starts and begin working towards speed control through the Hal file. Given the absence of PWM hardware (I.e. MESA 5i25) in my setup, I am working with an obsolete architecture and asking of your time that which I ought not. I would like to IRC and with PCW if someone can direct me where to. Thank you.

More
25 Nov 2015 14:52 #65776 by andypugh

Given the absence of PWM hardware (I.e. MESA 5i25) in my setup, I am working with an obsolete architecture and asking of your time that which I ought not.

The Parallel port is perfectly capable of producign PWM to drive the SPIN1X (or other, home-made pwm-to-voltage hardware).

Any questions are legitimate if they are about LinuxCNC-supported hardware, and that includes the parallel port.
The following user(s) said Thank You: comjon

More
25 Nov 2015 14:55 #65777 by OT-CNC
Linuxcnc can do software pwm, you don't need the mesa card. I'm learning here myself so someone correct me if I'm wrong...

linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/pwmgen.9.html

Your stepconf should have all the settings for setting up a basic spindle.

More
25 Nov 2015 15:19 #65781 by comjon
Understood. My setup does not have a VFD.

The Spinx1 as a digital controller for a motor seeking analog input therefore the topic, unless I am mistaken, and should be reposted as such. Please advise on this as I would like this info shared with others trying to resolve a similar issue in future. Thank you. :)

More
25 Nov 2015 18:57 #65790 by cncbasher
the problem is not drivng the spinx , linuxcnc can do that just fine ,it is the output to the miniark that you have wrong
wire as if using the spinx as replacing the speed control pot , and not as supplying a voltage .

these are common thyristor based speed controllers used in just about everything , but what they are not is a vfd .
pwm is not a problem with Linuxcnc .

More
25 Nov 2015 20:21 #65794 by comjon
How to supply voltage from the Spinx1, if possible?

PCW hinted at some suggestion, including using a voltage divider, but we did not have time nor were prepared to get into the details.

Any resources or suggestions how I might accomplish my goal are welcome.

More
25 Nov 2015 20:37 #65797 by OT-CNC
I sent you a PM.
If you're wiring this as an electronic pot, you just use sp+,spv and sp- connections. You don't use any external power.
Does your pot currently work such as in turning it ccw the spindle is off, full cw its full on? It should work the same based on the pwm signal it receives from linuxcnc.
The only power you provide is the 5v to the input from the breakout board/ paraport.

More
25 Nov 2015 21:30 - 25 Nov 2015 21:47 #65801 by comjon
I am not sure what a PM is. I looked for an email from you, but have not received anything.

Yes, all I am doing is replacing a POT and yes I am supplying 5v to the Spinx
Last edit: 25 Nov 2015 21:47 by comjon. Reason: 3rd correction, yeah, I am drunk. Happy Thanksgiving !!

More
26 Nov 2015 12:37 #65819 by andypugh

Yes, all I am doing is replacing a POT and yes I am supplying 5v to the Spinx

So... Wire the SPINX1 in place of the potentiometer, and _don't_ supply 5V.

ie: Wire the three SPINX1 terminals where the three potentiometer terminals go.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds