LinuxCNC, Plasma, THC questions

More
30 Nov 2015 01:46 #66079 by Greolt

Have you seen the Mesa THCAD thing? (I am not sure if it is equivalent to the Proma or not)

Not in person. Seen it on the Mesa website. Info is a bit light on.

For my needs it would be the 0 - 10v model. It says other circuitry is required for a pilot arc plasma. But does not go into what that might involve. Might just be a series resistor.

I have decided to go for a simple THC like the Proma for now. See how that goes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2015 01:53 #66080 by tommylight
Let us know how it goes, and do pay attention to wiring, even though you can not destroy proma thc, only and only if you wire the 200V line to the 5v input ! that is the only thing i did not test as it is irrational, i have literally tried to destroy one but nothing happened, even reversed the polarity on the power supply (will not turn on), on the 200V input (will show 0V even when plasma is on).
Regards,
Tom

More
30 Nov 2015 02:01 #66081 by Greolt
I know you are a fan of the Proma Tom. :)

However I have ordered an equivalent THC from my side of the world.

It has high current optos instead of relays and might help it be just a little faster.

I expect it will work much the same with your LinuxCNC setup. It has the same outputs as the Proma. Up, Down, ArcOK

More
30 Nov 2015 02:23 #66084 by tommylight
Fan ??? am i spinning ??? :):):)
Unfortunately i did not have the chance to try the CandCnc , or any other THC form other manufactures,.
I will be around in case you need any help.
Regards,
Tom

More
30 Nov 2015 02:30 #66085 by Greolt

I will be around in case you need any help.

Thanks for that Tom

More
30 Nov 2015 10:17 - 30 Nov 2015 10:17 #66095 by andypugh

Not in person. Seen it on the Mesa website. Info is a bit light on.

Did you find the link to the manual (under "Support Materials")
www.mesanet.com/pdf/analog/thcadman.pdf

It works in a different way to the up/down type, it is a way of getting an analogue voltage representing the arc voltage into LinuxCNC. Once it is there you have the option to run a PID loop on arc voltage, and to change the arc voltage setpoint in the software.
Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 10:17 by andypugh.

More
30 Nov 2015 11:07 #66098 by Greolt
Yes I have read that Andy.

When they say something like, "advantage of the 10V THCAD and external resistor is that the resistor can be selected to work with high-frequency start torches"
That probably is self explanatory to some readers. But I would need much more hand holding. :)

It works in a different way to the up/down type, it is a way of getting an analogue voltage representing the arc voltage into LinuxCNC. Once it is there you have the option to run a PID loop on arc voltage, and to change the arc voltage setpoint in the software.

I get the general gist of that, but have no hope of implimenting it without a lot of help.
Many on this forum have a good grasp of programing and the inner workings of linux. On the other hand I am just a carpenter. :(

More
30 Nov 2015 11:53 #66099 by cncbasher
hand holding is not a problem , thats what some of us are here for . your not all on your own , as is the case with some
forums ,you'll find help is at hand .

More
30 Nov 2015 12:56 #66103 by tommylight
I need to add some info regarding THCad card.
I do not have one, but i would love to get my hands on both verrsions and see what they can do, from what i have read on this forum and thanks to BigJohn and PCW and others, i have no doubt it is beter than most of the THC on the market, it has direct feedback to the computer so it opens up a lot of posibilities to configure it however needed and tailored to the actual plasma/machine/material beeing cut to fine tune it to perfection.
Unfortunately i can not get my hands on one or 2 of them till i get to US next spring. I would prefer to use it on machines i build, but for adding THC to existing customer machines i liked the simplicity and reliability of Proma. And it works with HV and HV/HF pilot start plasma.
As for me personaly i have to get my grubby hands on a lot of MESA cards, i love the capabilities of them and they are very reliable from what i gathered reading here and on other forums, and support for them is awesome thanks to members of this forum. When looking at what the combination of Linuxcnc and MESA cards can do, there is very litle that can not be done as far as the automation of machinery goes, not just for routers or plasmas but for any kind/type/shape/function of machinery, no matter how complicated.
Regards
Tom

More
30 Nov 2015 13:07 #66104 by andypugh

Unfortunately i can not get my hands on one or 2 of them till i get to US next spring

There are EU stockists:
eusurplus.com/index.php?route=product/pr...3_296&product_id=612 (Portugal)
www.duzi.cz/shop_cnc/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1 (Czech republic, but doesn't seem to list the THCAD)

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds