LinuxCNC, Plasma, THC questions

More
30 Nov 2015 16:59 #66115 by cncbasher
you can order direct from Mesanet also ,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2015 19:07 - 30 Nov 2015 19:07 #66129 by Greolt
One thing I was not sure about is,

Does the THCAD require a Mesa IO card, or can the LPT read it fast enough?
Last edit: 30 Nov 2015 19:07 by Greolt.

More
30 Nov 2015 21:28 #66133 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic LinuxCNC, Plasma, THC questions
You can read it with a standard LPT port (you can divide the output frequency down to 8 KHz or so full scale)
but you do lose speed or resolution because the parallel port is only sampled at say 30 KHz maximum and this determines the
frequency resolution (This may sound a bit strange but the frequency is read as encoder velocity, and encoder velocity resolution
depends on the sample rate, _not_ the input frequency)

More
30 Nov 2015 21:53 #66135 by Greolt
OK I will interpret that as,

To get the full advantage of the THCAD it really needs to be used together with a IO card

Thanks

More
30 Nov 2015 23:34 #66138 by Greolt
Just looking at the mesa site and the 5i25 IO board.

I assume that that will interface quite nicely with my present LPT break out board. As in not need the 7i76 daughter board.

Now am I missing something in that assumption in relation to interfacing with THCAD?

I don't think I would need the extra IO that the 7i76 would provide. But maybe the THCAD needs something the LPT BoB does not provide.

More
01 Dec 2015 00:36 #66144 by andypugh

JI assume that that will interface quite nicely with my present LPT break out board. As in not need the 7i76 daughter board.

Possibly...

It depends on whether your breakout has encoder-speed inputs on pins that suit one of the firmwares.

You can't change the layout of pins in the 5i25 in HAL (unlike with a parallel port). The 5i25 is flashed with a bitfile that defines what each pin is for.

If you download the 5i25.zip file from Mesanet, then look in the 5i25/configs/hostmot2 folder and poke through the .pin files to see if any match your BoB. One good candidate would be 5i25_dmmbob1x2.pin

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds