Need tool prepared -txx for toolchange?

More
24 Jan 2016 02:49 #69015 by spinnaker
I generated some gcode with the PCBGcode tool for Eagle. When I go to run the code in LinuxCNC, I get Need tool prepared -txx for toolchange.

The wiki says this:

loadusr -W hal_manualtoolchange
net tool-change iocontrol.0.tool-change => hal_manualtoolchange.change
net tool-changed iocontrol.0.tool-changed <= hal_manualtoolchange.changed
net tool-number iocontrol.0.tool-prep-number => hal_manualtoolchange.number
net tool-prepare-loopback iocontrol.0.tool-prepare => iocontrol.0.tool-prepared

should be added to the hal file to enable tool change. I already have those lines in my hal file.

The documentation says I should be prompted to make the change but I am not.

It says

The HAL configuration file configs/sim/axis_manualtoolchange.hal shows the HAL commands necessary to use this component.

Where is this file located? I see a configs folder under my linux cnc folder but all I am seeing is the folder for my machine configuration and no /axis_manualtoolchange.hal file. I did a find of all .hal files and no axis_manualtoolchange.hal is listed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2016 03:36 #69018 by dgarrett
Noone takes responsibiity to update a Wiki hence Wiki entries are often out of date, incomplete, or wrong.

From the maintained documentation for 2.7:
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/config/ini-config.html#_hal_section

2.7. [HAL] section
HALFILE = example.hal - Execute the file example.hal at start up. If HALFILE is specified multiple times, the files are executed in the order they appear in the ini file. Almost all configurations will have at least one HALFILE, and stepper systems typically have two such files, one which specifies the generic stepper configuration (core_stepper.hal) and one which specifies the machine pin out (xxx_pinout.hal). HALFILES are found using a search. If the named file is found in the directory containing the ini file, it is used. If the named file is not found in this ini file directory, a search is made using a system library of halfiles. A HALFILE may also be specifed as an absolute path (when the name starts with a / character). Absolute paths are not recommended as their use may limit relocation of configurations.

Location of files
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/getting-start...l#_invoking_linuxcnc

5. Configuration Resources

The Configuration Selector copies all files needed for a configuration to a new subdirectory of ~/linuxcnc/configs (equivalently: /home/username/linuxcnc/configs). Each created directory will include at least one ini file (iniflename.ini) that is used to describe a specific configuration.

File resources within the copied directroy will typically include one or more ini file (filename.ini) for related configurations and a tool table file (toolfilename.tbl). Additionally, resources may include halfiles (filename.hal, filename.tcl), a README file for describing the directory, and configuration specific information in a text file named after a specific configuration (inifilename.txt). That latter two files are displayed when using the Configuration Selector.

The supplied sample configurations may specifiy HALFILEs in the configuration ini file that are not present in the copied directory because they are found in the system Halfile library. These files can be copied to the user configuration directory and altered as required by the user for modification or test. Since the user configuration directory is searched first when finding Halfiles, local modifications will then prevail.

The Configuration selector makes a symbolic link in the user configuration directory (named hallib) that points to the system Halfile library. This link simplifies copying a library file. For example, to copy the library core_sim.hal file in order to make local modifications:

cd ~/linuxcnc/configs/name_of_configuration
cp hallib/core_sim.hal core_sim.hal

More
24 Jan 2016 13:25 - 24 Jan 2016 13:26 #69036 by spinnaker
Thanks but what does all of that mean? I assume a lot of it is linux related? I have very little experience with linux.

What is the "Configuration selector"?

How do I get my manual tool change turned on?
Last edit: 24 Jan 2016 13:26 by spinnaker.

More
24 Jan 2016 13:35 #69037 by ArcEye
Hi

If you attach your config folder (zip the whole folder) and attach the code you are trying to run, we will be able to assist you more easily.

Very few tool changers need the tool_prepared signal, so it is usual to connect it straight to the output, effectively bypassing it.

regards

More
24 Jan 2016 13:44 - 24 Jan 2016 13:53 #69038 by cncbasher
when starting linuxcnc , you will be confronted with a menu to pick your configuration .
either a sim or your working config , which willl default to ~/linuxcnc/configs/ <configfolder>

are you only running the simulation files ?
or have you produced your own config by using stepconfig etc .
as mentioned attach your working configuration as an archive , so we can see what you are using
and also if possible attach a gcode file that gives you the error

are you manually changing tools or using a toolchanger ?
Last edit: 24 Jan 2016 13:53 by cncbasher.

More
24 Jan 2016 14:03 #69040 by spinnaker
Thanks so much.
The second issue I am having is that I need to touch off something like -2.5 inches relative to the work piece. Why is that?
But I would rather get the tool change issue fixed first.

I did finally find axis_manualtoolchange.hal in ./usr/share/hallib. Do I just copy it into my config folder?
Attachments:

More
24 Jan 2016 14:04 #69042 by spinnaker

when starting linuxcnc , you will be confronted with a menu to pick your configuration .
either a sim or your working config , which willl default to ~/linuxcnc/configs/ <configfolder>

are you only running the simulation files ?
or have you produced your own config by using stepconfig etc .
as mentioned attach your working configuration as an archive , so we can see what you are using
and also if possible attach a gcode file that gives you the error

are you manually changing tools or using a toolchanger ?

I have my own config file and have included it above.

I am doing manual tool change. Or at least trying. ;)

More
24 Jan 2016 14:23 #69043 by ArcEye
Still to look at the config, but the main reason you are not getting a tool change is because there isn't one in your code.

You have M06 but no tool specified.

Now I understand what your question title is about. When you try to run just M06, you get an error which says
Need tool prepared - Txx - for toolchange

You need M6TN where N is the tool number in the tool table of the tool to be selected.

Then you need G43 on the next line, to set the tool offsets correctly
The following user(s) said Thank You: spinnaker

More
24 Jan 2016 14:45 #69044 by ArcEye

I did finally find axis_manualtoolchange.hal in ./usr/share/hallib. Do I just copy it into my config folder?

No, it is completely unnecessary and irrelevant.

You have hal_manual_toolchange installed, otherwise the config would have refused to run.

The advice was largely based upon you asking a question, without saying what you had done and that the
Need tool prepared - Txx - for toolchange was in fact an error message you got when you tried to run your code.

Sort out the proper M6Tn syntax and it is sorted

For that matter, why do you need a toolchange at the start of a gcode file?
Just fit the tool you are going to use before you run the gcode and no tool change is required.

regards

More
24 Jan 2016 15:00 #69045 by spinnaker

Still to look at the config, but the main reason you are not getting a tool change is because there isn't one in your code.

You have M06 but no tool specified.

Now I understand what your question title is about. When you try to run just M06, you get an error which says
Need tool prepared - Txx - for toolchange

You need M6TN where N is the tool number in the tool table of the tool to be selected.

Then you need G43 on the next line, to set the tool offsets correctly

Thanks! So the issue is with the application that produced the code? I have been looking but see no such settings so far. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

I found my tool table. I found the documentation for the tool table but I am not sure I fully understand it. What is the "Pocket # used for"? How is the "Z Offset used"? I am using an .1mm / 20 deg etching bit .

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds