Need tool prepared -txx for toolchange?

More
24 Jan 2016 15:43 #69046 by ArcEye

So the issue is with the application that produced the code?

Correct, you either need a post processor for Eagle or whatever you used or just manually edit.
Don't know if one exists, you need to google. One for mach should be pretty close

I found the documentation for the tool table but I am not sure I fully understand it. What is the "Pocket # used for"? How is the "Z Offset used"? I am using an .1mm / 20 deg etching bit .

Pocket is not used for anything on a manual toolchange.
You have a tool.tbl file in your config, just change that to suit.

Z offset is simply that some tools are longer than others in the toolholder, so that is compensation for that.
If tool 2 is 10mm longer than tool 1, when tool2 is loaded Z moves up 10mm, so that the effective length and therefore the
contact point between tool and workpiece (Z0) remains the same

As the saying goes, if all else fails RTFM and then re-read until it starts to make sense B)

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m6
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/tool-compensation.html

regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2016 15:59 - 24 Jan 2016 16:01 #69048 by spinnaker

Still to look at the config, but the main reason you are not getting a tool change is because there isn't one in your code.

You have M06 but no tool specified.

Now I understand what your question title is about. When you try to run just M06, you get an error which says
Need tool prepared - Txx - for toolchange

You need M6TN where N is the tool number in the tool table of the tool to be selected.

Then you need G43 on the next line, to set the tool offsets correctly

I removed tool change commands. And that seemed to solve the tool change issue. Eventually I am going to need to figure out how all that works when it comes to drilling. But I got it working this far so thank you.

I added G43 to my code but did not help. I looked up G43 but it has to do with the X index and requires a parameter so I am a little confused.

G43
(Inch Mode)
G20
(Absolute Coordinates)
G90
S30000
G00 Z0.5000
G00 X0.0000 Y0.0000
M03
G04 P3.000000
G00 Z0.1000
G00 X-1.5484 Y0.2782
G01 Z-0.0070 F3.00
G01 X-1.5504 Y0.2761 F10.00
G01 X-1.5529 Y0.2747
G01 X-1.5557 Y0.2740
G01 X-1.5586 Y0.2740
G01 X-1.5614 Y0.2747
G01 X-1.5639 Y0.2761
G01 X-1.5831 Y0.2954
G01 X-1.5852 Y0.2974
Last edit: 24 Jan 2016 16:01 by spinnaker.

More
24 Jan 2016 16:07 #69051 by spinnaker

So the issue is with the application that produced the code?

Correct, you either need a post processor for Eagle or whatever you used or just manually edit.
Don't know if one exists, you need to google. One for mach should be pretty close

I found the documentation for the tool table but I am not sure I fully understand it. What is the "Pocket # used for"? How is the "Z Offset used"? I am using an .1mm / 20 deg etching bit .

Pocket is not used for anything on a manual toolchange.
You have a tool.tbl file in your config, just change that to suit.

Z offset is simply that some tools are longer than others in the toolholder, so that is compensation for that.
If tool 2 is 10mm longer than tool 1, when tool2 is loaded Z moves up 10mm, so that the effective length and therefore the
contact point between tool and workpiece (Z0) remains the same

As the saying goes, if all else fails RTFM and then re-read until it starts to make sense B)

www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/m-code.html#mcode:m6
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/tool-compensation.html

regards

Thanks so much for clearing that up. So I assume if I touch off my Z index every tool change, I don't need to worry about the tool length? And I would think it a bit difficult to mount the tool the same way every time unless in the real world it is done automatically or the tool is marked in some way?

The problem is that there is so much to read. :) And lots of it does not make much sense right now. I wish there was a linuxcnc for dummies.. :) Once I get this whole PCB milling thing down I think I will write a blog. I have seen nothing yet that is step by step. A whole lot of missing pieces. PArt of me wishes I had not bought this machine. But it is sort of fun learing all of this.

More
24 Jan 2016 16:08 #69052 by ArcEye

I added G43 to my code but did not help. I looked up G43 but it has to do with the X index and requires a parameter so I am a little confused.

There is nothing about X axis in any of this section and it does not require a parameter
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g43

ArcEye wrote:

You need M6TN where N is the tool number in the tool table of the tool to be selected.

Since there is now no toolchange, there is no compensation to apply, so it is not needed.
You just touch off your tool to the workpiece and run the program

More
24 Jan 2016 16:53 #69058 by spinnaker

There is nothing about X axis in any of this section and it does not require a parameter
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g43

ArcEye wrote:

Since there is now no toolchange, there is no compensation to apply, so it is not needed.
You just touch off your tool to the workpiece and run the program

Sorry meant to say it had to do with tool height but was thinking my issue was with the X axis.

So my X axis is still not lining up as it should when I touch off with 0. How do I get it to line up?

More
24 Jan 2016 17:08 - 24 Jan 2016 17:09 #69059 by ArcEye

So my X axis is still not lining up as it should when I touch off with 0. How do I get it to line up?

Don't really understand the question.
Since there is now no toolchange and no tool table, it is just about where you touch off.
If your X0 point is in the wrong place, you must have touched off X at the wrong place.

Just move to wherever X0 is supposed to be and line the tip or edge of the tool there
(as applicable) and then press the Touch Off' button and select G54 and 0 for that axis
Repeat for all axes.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CoordinateSystems
Last edit: 24 Jan 2016 17:09 by ArcEye.

More
24 Jan 2016 17:15 #69060 by cncbasher
ok what are you trying to do ?
x and y are your axis left to right and back to front , and z being your height

to touch off is to set your 0.0 point , usually by default this is the front edge (x) and the left side (y)
to say set the edge to zero , use say a 3.0mm rod in your spindle , slide by using the jog up to the edge, and set this to be 1.5mm
( half of the rod dia ) this essentialy sets the edge to zero , the top surface is easier of course , just jog down untill either the tip touches the top surface and set this to 0.0 .

make sure in your tool table that all values are 0.0 , you dont need them anyway for pcb work ..
hope this may help .

you can also use a hole as a reference point , for example .

More
24 Jan 2016 18:04 #69063 by spinnaker
I have to touch off -2.11 inches to get the X axis to line up. See screen shot attached. Should I not just have to touch off at zero? Or is adjusting the touch off point fairly normal?
Attachments:

More
24 Jan 2016 18:26 - 24 Jan 2016 18:46 #69064 by spinnaker
I think I got it. I actually have to touch off something like -1.01 inches to get it to start etching where I want. I guess I will need to read up on coordinates.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2016 18:46 by spinnaker.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds