manual mill converted to cnc

More
18 Apr 2016 02:55 #73510 by thor44
Replied by thor44 on topic manual mill converted to cnc
so far I would say that most of the problems that I have had have been my own fault and this is the only mill that I have converted to cnc so I don't know what to compare to and I have had some problems with the mechanics of the mill causing it to stall occasionally so I live with more backlash than I would like. Maybe it's because it is a cheap mill that should be a boat anchor instead or maybe it's because it's to far worn out to work properly but it's better than doing it by hand. I have not used Mach 3 and I don't know much about it but what I do like about Linuxcnc is that it can modified in so many ways with only changing the config files I guess I like the challenge of being a machinist and a programmer both.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2016 13:19 #73529 by Fastest1
Using leadscrews is going to exhibit more issues than a ballscrew. Just due to resistance. Are you using backlash compensation?

Not trying to push Mach but it too is able to be customized. Cleaning out the PC wont hurt at all. Good luck.

More
18 Apr 2016 15:39 #73541 by thor44
I have a friend that has Mach I'll check it out when he finishes building his machine, it's only been six years now so I'm not sure if he will actually finish it or not.

I am using backlash comp, I need to figure out how much to compensate for.

What kind of machine are you running?

More
18 Apr 2016 16:52 - 18 Apr 2016 17:03 #73546 by Fastest1
Some projects take longer than others ;-) I have quite a few machines in various states of disrepair. I will get 1 running only to see someone on a forum either do a better job or I will learn a better way and rip it apart again. It is a disease.

I have a Sherline 15" CNC lathe. It was a conversion from an educational model that has been modded.
An A2ZCNC Monster Mill that has also been used as a 3D printer after I built an extruder.
A Dyna DM2400 mill
A Dyna DM3000 lathe
A G0704. I better stop now before the wife sees this list or I realize I need to clean out the garage.

Regarding backlash. First make sure that backlash compensation is OFF..
Then command your machine to move a specific measurement in 1 direction (an inch for example) do this twice in the same direction (this takes the backlash out on the first command in case the last move had been the other direction), verify it the last time with a DTI or similar (this step is to verify the machine went the proper distance) Zero your indicator. Then command that same axis the opposite direction, the same distance as before. There will be a difference, this difference is backlash. Repeat it a few times just to be sure.
If the amount varies each and every repeat, you will need to adjust the gibs properly.

I am trying to learn LCNC just because of frustration with small issues occasionally in Mach or Windows, not really sure of the culprits. However the programming is not my forte, at all. I see that what I want can be done but it is almost impossible to see how. I will have to go hang around a local Makerspace or similar to get some hands on. There are so many variables it is hard to grasp. On the other hand, both OS's (Linux/Windows) use the same hardware which is why I was suspicious of the parallel port.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2016 17:03 by Fastest1.

More
18 Apr 2016 17:08 - 18 Apr 2016 17:08 #73548 by Fastest1
Btw some of that frustration is also likely due to the fact that CNC doesnt require the latest greatest PC's. In fact they can be a hindrance. So most of the PC's allocated to running machines are old POS computers that were dug out of attics, handed down etc. They are old in the first place.
I built a mini itx this weekend from an Intel Atom D525M (has great driver tests in Mach) for my G0704. We will see.

Didnt mean to hijack your thread.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2016 17:08 by Fastest1.

More
30 Apr 2016 00:31 #74074 by thor44
I found the problem, I didn't notice at first that the acme screw and the gibbs are not aligned causing a bind so it should work once I get the time to fix it.

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds