Linuxcnc error

More
22 Apr 2017 12:21 #91838 by chelseafan
Replied by chelseafan on topic Linuxcnc error
possibly a small break through. theres two configs for linuxcnc on the computer. orac and orac old. obviously i have been trying orac and had the issues ive been posting so far. i thought i would have a look at orac old today just out of curiosity. i noticed that the orac 5i29 hal file was the same file as the one in the new config. i can only assume it was copied and alterations have been made to the new one.
i tried loading it and it didnt work and didnt get a debug error to go off. but i noticed as the picture shows it could not load the IO-orac in the orac 5i29 file.
File Attachment:

i had a look and compared these same files in the configs and noticed the new config had emc = io rather than the old config had emc = io-orac. so i changed the old file to suit the new one and the error appears to have gone and im on to the next one.

my thoughts are im on to a winner because ive had no missing pin errors yet possibly????

my next error is
File Attachment:

so my thoughts are that two copies where made and the new one has been altered possibly because the machine was in a different setup before sold to me. so im thinking i have more chance of getting the old orac file to work than the new one. to me everything seems to point towards there being nothing wrong with the machine all the issues are config errors.

if people agree i should try to get this old config working can someone help me with this last error which is the oracchanger please??? ive checked the src/hal file and my oracchanger.comp file is in there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2017 14:14 #91843 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic Linuxcnc error
When I look at the Version 2.7 source code, oracchanger.comp is not there. See
github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/2.7/src/hal/components

So you need to use halcompile to compile and install the .comp. Open a terminal window and navigate to the folder that contains oracchanger.comp using the cd command.

Then try typing
sudo halcompile --install oracchanger.comp

Check that you don't get any errors and report them back of you do. You must be nearly there!

More
22 Apr 2017 14:47 #91844 by chelseafan
The file is specific to this machine, it's says in a text document that came with the machine to transfer these files in that Hal folder after any updates as there specific to this machine for the tool changer. I'll try what you said thanks.

More
22 Apr 2017 22:46 #91863 by rodw

The file is specific to this machine, it's says in a text document that came with the machine to transfer these files in that Hal folder after any updates as there specific to this machine for the tool changer. I'll try what you said thanks.

Than just run halcompile whenever there is a change. You can leave the file in your config folder and run halcompile from there and it will install the component for you

More
23 Apr 2017 01:05 #91866 by rodw
You may need to get the linuxcnc-dev to get the halcompile tool.

See linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/comp.html
sudo apt-get install linuxcnc-dev

More
24 Apr 2017 08:28 #91939 by chelseafan
I tried it but it didn't work. The oracchanger file is already in the Linuxcnc-Dev/src/Hal/components folder. So I managed to work out how to get there with the cd command. I then ran halcompile --compile and got this
File Attachment:

I tried reloading Linuxcnc and got same error that it couldn't find it.
So I tried the halcompile --install and I got an error
File Attachment:

:( what am I doing wrong

More
24 Apr 2017 09:10 #91940 by rodw
In the first screen dump where you used sudi, it appears that the --compile switch completed without error. But this does not install the component. if you use the first command I quoted with sudo, the --install switch compiles AND installs the component.

In the second screen, you are getting a permissions error which is basically just telling you that you need to use sudo.

Nowhere in the screen dumps have i seen you use the command I suggested
sudo halcompile --install oracchanger.comp

I think it will work, but whether it fixes your problem remains to be seen.

More
24 Apr 2017 10:06 #91945 by chelseafan
Arh yeah dam must of forgot to write sudo, I didn't notice that. Cheers I'll redo it tonight
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
24 Apr 2017 20:17 #92006 by chelseafan
big thanks for the help that worked, but cant celebrate yet as im onto another error. so im thinking the error is linked to the iocontrol-orac.cc file that is in the src/emc/iotask folder. could it be that i need to install this file somehow? ive tried searching and not really found any information to help. ive taken a picture of the error with the text document that came with the machine .
File Attachment:

More
25 Apr 2017 04:40 #92029 by rodw
My guess is that you should have copied the files as the document suggests and then recompile linuxcnc which will then compile everything it sees in the src folders and therefore pick up your added files.

I don't know if they are just modules or some of them need linking into the core code after compilation.

But you've got this far so see what others say before diving in. If you are running Linuxcnc as rin in place, its as simple as typing:
make clean
make
sudo make setuid (but check the wording on the screen when make finishes)

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds