Need Help with Setup

More
03 May 2017 23:50 #92610 by mtd1096
Replied by mtd1096 on topic Need Help with Setup
For what it is worth I have the computer set up as dual boot. XP running mach3 using these same pins and port 0xa400, and testing the alternative boot with Linuxcnc. It is confusing as to why it works with mach3 but not linuxcnc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2017 00:06 #92611 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Need Help with Setup
Set the base thread to 50.000 at least.
Also try 100.000 if the above does not work. All looks good so far on your setup.
That BOB is realy picky about pulses and it produces some crapy output signals. Just so you do not waste more time hunting around, here are some setings i use with that type of BOB ( i also waisted about an hour finding out why motors would not move, had to use osciloscopes to get to the botom of it):
Base thread manualy set at 100.000, all step and dir timings set at 35.000 in stepconf.
Just raise the base thread to above values and it will work.

More
04 May 2017 13:11 #92639 by Todd Zuercher
Replied by Todd Zuercher on topic Need Help with Setup
From a command prompt try this command, to double check your parallel port address.
cat /proc/ioports | grep parport
Then show us the results and a copy of your hal file.

More
06 May 2017 15:54 #92746 by mtd1096
Still no luck. I may just have to get a different bob.

More
06 May 2017 15:56 #92747 by mtd1096
Attachments:

More
06 May 2017 17:01 #92748 by tommylight
Replied by tommylight on topic Need Help with Setup
A400 is the address.
Edit the loadrt parport in hal. Also set the base thread to 100.000 in the ini, anything less and that bob will not work.

More
08 May 2017 16:53 #92835 by brojt
Replied by brojt on topic Need Help with Setup
Hi All,
I am new here and I have a question.
Can LinuxCNC do threading on a Harbor Freight 7x12 mini lathe?
I have the lathe setup and LinuxCnc runs fine and wanted to do threading using the cnc. I have a hall effect sensor attached to the lathe with one impulse per revolution with signal going to pin 10. I manually turn the lathe on and I don't have anything else added to the lathe regarding the spindle. I can see the RPM's when I run Mach3 but I only have the trial Mach3 program. Now, the problem is that Mach3 requires the full version to pick up the synchronization of the spindle and do threading and that costs $175.00. I am just a retired hobbyist with limited fixed income and like a lot of us just don't have $175.00 that would buy very limited additional function over LinuxCnc.
So, here is my question: Will someone help me program the Hal configuration to be able to thread? Will the setup I have with only the Hall effect sensor to detect spindle rotation work in LinuxCnc to do this?
I am a novice when it comes to programming and need help I mean a lot of help to try to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice,
Brojt

More
08 May 2017 19:02 #92863 by Todd Zuercher
It isn't an ideal setup, but it will work. (an encoder and index is better)
You have to set up a hal encoder component in counter mode and connect both phase-A and phase-Z of the encoder component to your input from the parallel port.
linuxcnc.org/docs/2.7/html/examples/spin...ml#_spindle_feedback

More
08 May 2017 23:03 #92880 by brojt
Replied by brojt on topic Need Help with Setup
Thanks so much for your response,
In the example you directed me to there are at least 2 things I need to know.
1. the encoder will be my hall effect currently active low. That signal would go to pin 11, ( I am thinking out loud here).
2. The "A" phase I don't know where to get that input. If I had it looks like it connects to pin 10 (again just me guessing).
3 Where the sample says the encoder is to have 100 pulses per revolution I should change that to 1 as that is how the hall effect is currently set.

It looks like if I had the above info I could just make a few changes to the sample configuration and at least be in the debug stage.
Please let me know if this is correct and how to determine the A phase input signal.

Thanks
Brojt

More
09 May 2017 12:23 #92913 by Todd Zuercher
The example in the documentation is using 2 separate inputs one from a single phase encoder (phase-A) that could be multiple counts/revolution, and an index pulse (phase-Z).
You don't have two separate inputs, so you will need to connect both phase-A and phase-Z to the same parallel port pin.
To do it the line you would put in your hal file could look something like this:
net spindle-index <= parport.0.pin-10-in => encoder.0.phase-Z => encoder.0.phase-A

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds