Machine won't jog or run a program

More
30 Jul 2017 22:05 #96710 by Doug Funny
Greeting All,
I have a Smithy 622 CNC mill that is run by Linux. I haven't run the machine in a while and went out to my shop to do a project. Everything boots up and I can home the machine out, but I cannot jog or run a program. When I use the jog buttons you can see the radio buttons on the screen change to which ever axis I try to jog. I've even tried using the pressing +/- button with the mouse and still nothing. Looking for help on where to start looking to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,
Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2017 23:16 #96799 by andypugh
Are the jog-speed or speed-override sliders all the way at zero?

More
01 Aug 2017 00:45 #96803 by Doug Funny
No, that was the first thing I checked. My spindle won't come on either. I'm going to call Smithy tomorrow to see if they can help.

More
01 Aug 2017 08:27 #96813 by andypugh

No, that was the first thing I checked.

OK, that was the problem last time this happened to somebody, so it was worth a try.

It does sound like a feed-override problem of some sort.

If you go to the "Machine" menu and look at "Show HAL configuration" then it might be worth looking at "pins" in the "motion" and "halui" section for anything odd like feed-hold. being set.

Also try MDI
M50 P0
M51 P0
M52 P0

More
02 Aug 2017 00:32 - 02 Aug 2017 00:33 #96869 by Doug Funny
Ok, so I checked the feed hold pin in the show HAL configuration. There is no feed hold button on this machine, everything is through the keyboard, but here is what was there. "motion feed hold <== SOFF".

When I was probing around I wiggled the flash drive for the machine and the computer froze. The flash drive was not all the way in, is there a possibility something is corrupt?

My machine is running ver 4.2.3.

I have a call into Smithy, so hopefully they call back soon.

I also tried the m50, m51 and m52... no luck
Last edit: 02 Aug 2017 00:33 by Doug Funny.

More
02 Aug 2017 00:35 #96870 by andypugh

Ok, so I checked the feed hold pin in the show HAL configuration. There is no feed hold button on this machine, everything is through the keyboard, but here is what was there. "motion feed hold <== SOFF".

That sounds suspicious. Can you attach your HAL file?

More
02 Aug 2017 02:12 #96871 by Doug Funny
Here you go Sir...
Attachments:

More
02 Aug 2017 08:52 #96886 by andypugh
# Spindle Contactor - False when spindle contactor is energized
net SOFF hm2_5i20.0.gpio.033.in motion.feed-hold

SOFF doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else in this HAL file though.
The INI file references a second HAL file and a postgui Hal File, (htough I can't off-hand see where they are called from) can we have those too.

[HAL]
HALUI = halui
HALFILE = 622leadshine.hal
EZTROL_HALFILE = 5i20eztrol.hal
POSTGUI_HALFILE = axis_manualtoolchange.hal

More
02 Aug 2017 22:03 #96949 by Doug Funny
Well I feel stupid and deserve to be publically shamed....

On the Smithy 622 there is a "spindle guard" which is nothing more than a piece of plexi-glass on a shaft with a cam on the end of the shaft. Open the door switch closes, machine don't run. Close the door switch opens machine can run.

the plexi-glass fell of years ago and I never paid the shaft much attention, that is until today...

Turns out the micro switch was bad, so I jumped the wires and machine runs fine!

Thanks for helping me out, it's nice to know there are people out there willing to share their experience and knowledge with others.

Doug

More
02 Aug 2017 22:15 #96950 by andypugh
And thanks for reporting back. Next time we see this, we can suggest that solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug Funny

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds