PCI Parport 2 not recognized

More
03 Nov 2017 08:27 #101213 by Bello
Hi,
I have installed three PCI Parallel port cards on my Desktop PC.
Into /dev folder i able to see only lp0 and lp1 but I cannot see the lp2.
Linuxcnc tell me that parport.2.read is not found!
lspci -vv shows me the device but I think that it isn't recognized from the system and I need of it to make my CNC machine working.
Can you help me to fix this please?
Thanks in advance for your support.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2017 16:45 #101270 by andypugh
What model and manufacturer are the ports?

Do they all show up as parallel ports if you issue the command "sudo cat /proc/ioports" ?
(You need "sudo" on recent Debian or the addresses all show as zero)

I bought one of each type of parallel port I could find on eBay and Amazon recently and found that only some worked at all. (though in one case this was because the card was actually a SCSI card :-)

A lot of the parport boards sold online are actually a little general-purpose IO chip which needs a kernel module to be loaded to program it to be a parallel port every boot.

More
03 Nov 2017 16:55 #101273 by Bello
Replied by Bello on topic PCI Parport 2 not recognized
I bought it on amazon, this is the link:
www.amazon.it/gp/product/B014P55X8O/ref=...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Soon as possible I will paste the output and let you know.

More
03 Nov 2017 17:07 #101276 by andypugh
That's one of the little GPIO chips. I bought exactly the same thing from Amazon. It won't work.

I think that, in theory, you could compile a driver and make Linux load it at startup, but it is not going to be worth the trouble.

This one will work for step/dir but as it has a NetMOS chip it won't work for EPP comms with Pico or Mesa hardware cards. But that probably doesn't matter.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scheda-PCI-1284-con-2...8:g:hJQAAOSwB-1Yz8uL

This type (OxSemi chip) works well both as step-dir and as an EPP device for Pico/Mesa/Pluto.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VSCOM-PCI-1284-PCI-47...9:g:~08AAOSwSCZZf~P3

More
04 Nov 2017 20:39 - 04 Nov 2017 20:42 #101327 by Bello
I have changed the PCI.
The other one that I have connected is recognized and the system see it into devices

# lspci -vv -nn -d 1409:7268
07:07.0 Parallel controller [0701]: Timedia Technology Co Ltd SUN1888 (Dual IEEE1284 parallel port) [1409:7268] (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [ECP])
Subsystem: Timedia Technology Co Ltd PAR4008A [1409:0103]
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping+ SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
Region 0: I/O ports at e000
Region 1: I/O ports at dc00
Kernel driver in use: parport_pc

and this is the proc output:
cat /proc/ioports |grep par
0378-037a : parport0
037b-037f : parport0
e000-e002 : parport2
ec00-ec02 : parport1

BUT when I use that ports it is not responding as expected.
I have so tested this port using the LinuxCNC Parallel Tester and seems that the INPUT pins from 10 to 15 have a strange behavior completely different from the other two ports. The Pins not are active or are active/deactive without any control by the user.

The other PCI one that is working fine (other one is integrated on the motherboard) has this output
# lspci -vv -nn -d 9710:9805
07:06.0 Communication controller [0780]: NetMos Technology PCI 1 port parallel adapter [9710:9805] (rev 01)
Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic Device [1000:0010]
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
Region 0: I/O ports at ec00
Region 1: I/O ports at e880
Region 2: I/O ports at e800
Region 3: I/O ports at e480
Region 4: I/O ports at e400
Region 5: I/O ports at e080
Kernel driver in use: parport_pc

and seems that is using the same kerne driver.
What could I check in order to make it working with the other two?
Thanks in advance
Last edit: 04 Nov 2017 20:42 by Bello.

More
04 Nov 2017 20:52 #101328 by andypugh
I am just guessing, but it report as a dual port card, perhaps you could try the dc00 address?

More
04 Nov 2017 21:08 #101330 by Bello
I have tried to set a specific address but no luck.
What you suggest to try in order to check that it is using the right drivers?
What could be the root cause of the incorrect behavior?

More
04 Nov 2017 21:25 #101331 by andypugh
You don't need any drivers. LinuxCNC uses it's own HAL driver (uses direct port writes).
I am afraid that if the system finds the parallel port but the port responds wrongly then there isn't a lot you can do.

I will point out that if you are up to three parallel ports then maybe a 5i25 / 7i76 combo starts to look sensible.

More
04 Nov 2017 21:30 #101334 by Bello
What you mean for "maybe a 5i25 / 7i76 combo starts to look sensible" ? I haven't got the your point.
And why three parallel ports should have an issue....I should try to change the PCI again? Maybe I should use another NetMos Technology PCI?
I cannot understand how it possible that the port is replying in a wrong way....It's very strange for me...could be broked or you mean that have some interferences?

More
04 Nov 2017 22:12 #101338 by andypugh

I cannot understand how it possible that the port is replying in a wrong way....It's very strange for me...could be broked or you mean that have some interferences?

Maybe someone else has some ideas, but I stopped using the parallel port a long time ago.

I think getting a card that matches the known-good one might be a good idea, but not a Netmos if you want to use EPP mode with Pico, Pluto or Mesa hardware.

Time to create page: 0.275 seconds