catastrophic failure

More
24 Nov 2017 17:06 #102295 by royKO1405
Hi All
I was setting up linux cnc and my house RCD tripped and cut all the power off. When I got things started again every thing seemed to be fine until I tried to load my stepconfig wizard completed file, I then get a catastrophic failure notice providing a list of machine positions at the time of the power outage. It tells me to send the list to linuxcnc. The system will not let me copy the file or give instruction on what to do with it. but it is preventing me completing the setup process. Every time I try to run the the files that I have created I get this notice and can do nothing with it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2017 17:24 - 24 Nov 2017 17:24 #102296 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic catastrophic failure
Which version of LinuxCNC?
(I have never heard of this before)

Incidentally, Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C will probably copy the output to the clipboard.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2017 17:24 by andypugh.

More
24 Nov 2017 19:35 #102311 by royKO1405
Replied by royKO1405 on topic catastrophic failure
Linux cnc 2.7. It is so weird I can run Linux cnc program from the selection menu but when I try to start the profile I had just made I get this notice. I tried deleting the Stepperconig files and starting the process again, it creates the profile and files associated with it but when I click on the icon to start the profile I still get the message. The message box displays everything all the processes that were operating when the power cut out but I cannot do anything with it. If I click on the select all button on the bottom of the notice box the print greys out to show that it is selected but I cannot copy it or print it. When the cancel button is pressed it clears the box from the screen, but it comes back again if I try to run the profile of my machine. Is there away of repairing it or do I have to format the drive and re-install everything.
Best regards
Roy

More
24 Nov 2017 21:27 - 24 Nov 2017 21:29 #102319 by mjohnston
Replied by mjohnston on topic catastrophic failure
You can take a screenshot of the error window using Applications Menu->Accessories->Screenshot. That will only capture the text showing in the window at the time of the screenshot, but maybe seeing it will be enough information for someone to help a bit more.

I've never come across that issue, so unfortunately I don't have any advice to solve the actual problem.

Edit: Also there may be something in the linuxcnc_debug.txt or linuxcnc_print.txt file in your home folder, which you should be able to open/copy like any other text file.
Last edit: 24 Nov 2017 21:29 by mjohnston.

More
25 Nov 2017 02:14 #102326 by andypugh
Ctrl-C will copy the data in the dialog to the clipboard

More
27 Nov 2017 23:34 #102412 by royKO1405
Hi mjohnston
I have tried all the suggestions with no success, however I have taken photos of it all but at 6.4meg it is too big for your system to take there are 14 photo's. I could send you a link to my dropbox folder if you would like to see them.

Best regards

Roy

More
28 Nov 2017 00:19 #102415 by andypugh
Yes, put the link here.

More
28 Nov 2017 15:49 #102439 by royKO1405
Hi Andy
I managed to format the drive but now I cannot get the disk image to load onto the sda drive the system will boot from the cd but only as a virtual system. Can you send me a link to an iso that will reformat the drive and install linux cnc & Linux that is current. I have used Debien mainly as it will be installed on an old XP machine.

Best regards

Roy

More
28 Nov 2017 15:52 #102440 by andypugh
Which ISO file are you using at the moment?

Do you intend to use the parallel port? (That means you probably want the RTAI kernel) or one of the Ethernet boards (in which case you need to use the preempt-rt kernel)

More
28 Nov 2017 16:37 #102443 by royKO1405
Hi Andy
The version that I used Was Linux CNC 2.7.11 I am not sure of the Debien, I think it was 3.4. I have my cnc built with a parallel port. I am using the TB6560 Chinese Blue Board, I have attached the manual so that you can check the pins as the TB6560 setup in stepconf is pinned out wrong for my machine. I have attached my pin out spreadsheet; the notation in red is my machine. on my pin out for pin 1 I am using The E-Stop out to drive the All axis enable input it was the only one that would allow my board to work. Am I wrong if so what should I use. On the Axis set up I use 4 for the driver micro-stepping again it is the only setting that allows the machine to move back and forth dimensionally accurate.

Hopefully I might get the machine to run for Christmas.

Best regards

Roy
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.322 seconds