catastrophic failure

More
28 Nov 2017 17:56 #102448 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic catastrophic failure

Hi Andy
The version that I used Was Linux CNC 2.7.11 I am not sure of the Debien, I think it was 3.4. I have my cnc built with a parallel port.

Can you recall which URL you obtained the .iso file from? Was it from the main LinuxCNC link?

I am using the TB6560 Chinese Blue Board, I have attached the manual so that you can check the pins as the TB6560 setup in stepconf is pinned out wrong for my machine.

Unfortunately there is a lot of variation amongst these boards, with some not even matching their own manuals[/quote]

I am using The E-Stop out to drive the All axis enable input it was the only one that would allow my board to work. Am I wrong if so what should I use.

That isn't what you would normally use, typically it would be axis.0.amp-enable-out that would be used for that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2017 19:41 #102452 by royKO1405
Replied by royKO1405 on topic catastrophic failure
Hi Andy
Yes when it comes to downloading software I always use the main source I once picked up a nasty virus using a third party, never again.
I will correct my spreadsheet for the E-Stop out and when I finally get my system working I will use the axis.0.amp.

Best regards

Roy

More
28 Nov 2017 20:20 #102455 by andypugh
I wasn't suggesting a secondary source as such. LinuxCNC itself has a few different .iso files available, for example this one: www.linuxcnc.org/testing-stretch-rtpreempt/
That isn't the right choice (probably) for a parallel port machine. (though it might be instructive to see if it works for you) because in general preempt-rt does not give such good latency as RTAI. But if you want to use ethernet motion control cards you _have_ to use preempt-rt.

Have you managed to install any flaovour of Linux on the machine in question? Once you have a working Linux there are other ways to get LinuxCNC other than the LiveCD.

More
28 Nov 2017 20:59 #102458 by royKO1405
Hi Andy
When I downloaded Linuxcnc in March 17, I didn't know that there were many flavours of the cnc program I had read that Debien was the best choice for older machines so I chose Debien with Linux cnc. As for loading any Linux onto the hard drive no success my machine keeps wanting to boot from the cd but will not copy the contents of the cd to the hard drive. The hard drive formatted straight away and did not report any problems. After trying five times I spit my dummy out and called it a day.
Any version you may think suitable I am willing to give it a try.

Best regards

Roy

More
28 Nov 2017 21:17 #102459 by andypugh
Does it give any indication why it is refusing to install to the HD? Are you using the graphical install or the text-mode one?

More
28 Nov 2017 23:04 #102461 by royKO1405
Hi Andy
I have tried both methods of installation even trying to do it from the virtual program. I think that formatting the drive has removed something that is a target to show the program that the hard drive exists. That is why I was looking for an iso that re-formats the drive and re-creates the target, but then I am an engineer not a software man. If it was a Babbage Computer I would have fixed it ages ago. Electronics and software science is still a bit of a black art to me. I understand what it can do but how it does it is a failing.

Best regards

Roy

More
29 Nov 2017 16:41 #102493 by royKO1405
Hi Andy

Good news I have succeeded in re-installing Linux CNC I went back to my original copy Linux which I did in March. after 2 attempts it loaded great. In the stepconf I have tried the digital 0 setting and nothing works, the same for Digital2 and 3. the only configurations that work are Amplifier Enable and E-Stop out. which one will be best it seems as though pin 1 in my configuration is power to the board or the stepper control section. Where do I look to find detailed information on Limit Switch errors so that I can understand what the error notices are telling me.

Best regards

Roy

More
29 Nov 2017 17:47 #102496 by andypugh
It is good that you are at least now installed. You should be able to update LinuxCNC to 2.7.11 from the Synaptic Package manager.

I suspect that the limit switch errors are telling you that the sense of the switches is wrong.

If you are using the Axis interface then you should see a little indicator next to X Y and Z in the DRO that indicated the limit-switch states for each axis. If you see arrows that go off when you press the switches then the switches need to be inverted in stepconf. If the state never changes then it may be that your wiring is arranged incorrectly.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds