Installing LinuxCNC on Xenial

More
11 Jan 2018 08:38 #104274 by anvoice
Hello,
I'm fairly new to both Linux and CNC, and was hoping to install LinuxCNC on Ubuntu 16.04. Searched high and low for a complete tutorial, and haven't been able to find one. Following the steps from the linuxcnc.org in the "Alternate Install Methods" section for Precise fails for me since I'm attempting to install onto a 64-bit OS. I was hoping to install a 64-bit version instead, but not sure how to proceed since the tutorial I found here is for Debian Jessie. So the question is: where can find a 64 bit version of RTAI for Xenial, if one exists? Better yet, is there a guide somewhere for building LinuxCNC for Xenial, so I can avoid cluttering the forum once I hit the next snag? Thank you for your patience, there's a lot to learn and I'm trying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2018 13:17 #104289 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Installing LinuxCNC on Xenial
I dont think there is a reliable 64 bit RTAI kernel for LinuxCNC, at least no official one, but you can use 64 bit Preempt-RT

forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...h-rip-install-or-deb

may be useful as a guide since installation on Ubuntu16.04 will be similar to installation on Mint 18
The following user(s) said Thank You: anvoice

More
11 Jan 2018 19:28 - 11 Jan 2018 19:32 #104308 by anvoice
Thanks for the reply! What is the difference between Preemprt-RT and RTAI? Should I perhaps just install the 32-bit OS instead of 64-bit? If it's compelling enough (e.g. lower latency, etc.) I will, was just hoping to get away with the current setup. Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2018 19:32 by anvoice.

More
11 Jan 2018 22:22 #104311 by Todd Zuercher
The only compelling reason, I can think of is if you are doing software stepping (such as controlling stepper drives with the parallel port). I think some fast computers are able to get good enough latency for software stepping even with the Preempt-RT (less than 30 microsec max jitter).

I also don't' see any real advantage of a 64-bit OS over 32-bit for a Linuxcnc system. I suggest trying several flavors on the computer you intend to use, and use the system that gives you the best results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anvoice

More
11 Jan 2018 23:53 - 12 Jan 2018 01:05 #104318 by anvoice
Thanks! I installed 32 bit Xenial since I'm worried about latency (my PC isn't that fast), but I'm getting this error:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linux-headers-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae : Depends: gcc-4.6 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
at this step:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.4-9-rtai-686-pae
Any ideas about what's wrong? Again, thanks for your patience.
Edit: Seems as though gcc-4.6 isn't available for Xenial. Is my only option to fall back to the previous LTS? I'd rather stay with Xenial if at all possible...
Edit2: Managed to install gcc-4.6 by adding the trusty repos and updating, but seem to have broken Linux in the process (no option to boot into Ubuntu given at system start, just a blank purple screen, same screen randomly flickering while logged in, and same blank screen when trying to shut down/reboot. Unless someone has a good suggestion as to a fix, I'm thinking of just going for the Debian Wheezy install since that actually works.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2018 01:05 by anvoice. Reason: typo

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds