2 gantries with a shared work area

More
03 Feb 2018 07:11 - 03 Feb 2018 07:11 #105353 by Desertboy

I say this knowing nothing about Machinekits implementation of this if it even exists. But it may make the integration of duel gantries and their interaction with each other easier, on one computer with shared resources rather than two separate computers and trying to transmit position info between the two.

One place you may be able to save some cash and combine items. Rather than having 4 ball screw assemblies just for the gantry axis, use just 2 fixed screws (one on each side) with 2 nuts on each screw and rotate the nuts instead of the whole screw. It often makes more sense to rotate the nut rather than the screw on really long screws like you're going to have there anyway.

As far as the shared work area, you could always just not worry about predicting interference with soft limits and simply rely on hard limit switches to prevent crashes as they happen.

Hi I would love to do a rotating ballnut setup but don't have the skills or know where to start, my plan was to use 2020 ballscrews 2m long * 4 the cost is £640 + import tax I should be able to spin these to get 10m/min although considered better bearings so I can spin 50% faster for 15m/min.

Since I can't find 4m lengths of Hiwin's I was going to butt 2 together to get the travel.

I have also considered making 1 gantry R&P powered for the whole length and 1 gantry with 2m ballscrews. If I did this I would not use the shared area to work one part. I would not like to work 50% of a part R&P and the other 50% ballscrew I think it would be noticeable.

The advantage of this is I have 1 gantry for speed and 1 for aluminium and higher accuracy.

Really though 2 gantries working the one area is a lot cooler.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2018 07:11 by Desertboy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2018 20:50 #106288 by andypugh
I don't find rotating nuts to be that much harder than rotating screws. My lathe has rotating screws, but the mill has a roaring screw on Y but rotating nuts on X and Z.

I guess if you are looking to buy all off-the-shelf parts then rotating screws is easier, but if you have any machining capacity at all then it should not be so hard.

More
21 Feb 2018 21:38 #106292 by rodw

I don't find rotating nuts to be that much harder than rotating screws. My lathe has rotating screws, but the mill has a roaring screw on Y but rotating nuts on X and Z.

I guess if you are looking to buy all off-the-shelf parts then rotating screws is easier, but if you have any machining capacity at all then it should not be so hard.

Couldn't you use a flange style ballscrew, machine a recess in the centre of a timing belt pulley to locate the flange and bolt them together? That would be an easy job on any lathe.

I'd also try and offset the joins in the linear rails on each side of the gantry by having unequal length rails. Make sure you tell your rail supplier you want to join them together so he gets nice clean cuts on the ends.

More
22 Feb 2018 11:23 #106329 by andypugh

Couldn't you use a flange style ballscrew, machine a recess in the centre of a timing belt pulley to locate the flange and bolt them together? That would be an easy job on any lathe..

Well, you also need some sort of thrust-bearing arrangement for the ball-nut to rotate inside too.
But there are lots of cheap car wheel-bearing sets in the right sort of size.

More
22 Feb 2018 11:42 #106330 by rodw

Well, you also need some sort of thrust-bearing arrangement for the ball-nut to rotate inside too.
But there are lots of cheap car wheel-bearing sets in the right sort of size.

Yeh, that makes sense. I've got some trailer bearings somebody gave me. I might need this one day...but currently my rack and pinion drives are working nice on my machine but we are talking 21 m/min for plasma.... I'd love to see a sketch or cad drawing

More
22 Feb 2018 12:01 - 22 Feb 2018 12:02 #106331 by rodw
Never mind, found one
www.nzbzd.com/Rotating-Ball-Screw-Nutxjfckbub

I think the dark bearing cup needs to be pressed into the gantry.
I've actually got some M30 x 2 threaded rod and matching half nuts that might nearly be big enough to machine some sort of tapered bearing mount out of
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Feb 2018 12:02 by rodw.

More
22 Feb 2018 12:08 #106332 by andypugh
a360.co/2dJNHJ7

The X drive is the one hanging about in space all by itself. The Z is at the back (I can't seem to change the "home" view to suit the actual machine orientation)

Both are far from being the simplest possible arrangement. The X especially is over-complex as I was trying to keep it short so the bearing, pulley and ballnut are all one inside the other.

More
22 Feb 2018 13:07 #106335 by rodw
Andy thanks, there are some very good ideas on this thread
www.mycncuk.com/threads/3340-Rotating-Ballnut-design-ideas
The one on Page 13 is very nice and compact despite its supposed flaws.
You'd need to be careful with the maximum RPM of standard wheel bearings as a wheel rotates quite slowly. But then again plenty of lathes use tapered roller bearings!

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds