How old of a PC still makes sense to use?

More
20 Apr 2018 23:57 #109362 by cncn00b2018
I meanwihle also checked the longer checksum of both, also matches. Burnt linuxCNC image the slowest possible with a different, seldom used burner. Same effect. It boots from DVD, loads the menu, which than immediately freezes.
Using that same DVD drive, I just installed winXP from a burnt CD, no probs. The dvd drive is not totally broken at least for CD mode. I can't get the IDE dvd burner to work that I still had, so I guess the last straw is installing from another PC which has an IDE controller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2018 22:10 - 21 Apr 2018 22:11 #109407 by tommylight
Go into BIOS and load setup or bios defaults, find and change these settings :
enable UDMA mode to yes
LBA or large block addressing to enabled
gate A20 to FAST
disable serial and modem
disable power saving options
disable FDD or floppy drive
disable FDD controller
Last edit: 21 Apr 2018 22:11 by tommylight. Reason: added more info

More
22 Apr 2018 22:44 - 22 Apr 2018 23:37 #109465 by cncn00b2018
Hey, thanks for all the details.
Didn't help, though. (with regards to booting from DVD and not freezing immediately)

In WindowsXP on that machine, with that DVD-R drive, I can open the LinuxCNC DVD just fine, it isn't even struggling at all to read it (gauging from the *lack* of noise and delay the DVD has).
I see there is a windows executable "setup" on there, what is that? A viable alternate way to install it? I don't recall seeing that mentioned when I read some basic howto's.

---

LOL! This is weird and funny.
So I noticed that my DVDR was detected as master, HDD as slave, I reversed that. Didn't change the "freeze after boot from DVD". But when I booted from USB card-reader, the "detecting CDROM" screen appeared like last time, and it took ages like last time. BUT, instead of a failure notice, it said "Loading additoinal components", and you could see BOTH, the USB and the DVD to be accessing data now, for a while, so the setup actually did fetch some data from the drive, while moving a progressbar showing something was loaded.
Although I booted from USB.
This is rather peculiar!
I do not know now whether disabling the things you told to disable (why, btw?), or changing master/slave did this change, but it seems to be installing now.

---
I almost gave up for this evening because installing GRUB would remain on 3/4 progress for half an hour or so, and just as I wanted to turn off the thing, it goes to the "next page". That's now also taking long, mostly blinking the USB stick in funny patterns and hardly ever making the HDD LED visibly on. Is that normal, or only for my particular configuration of hardware of different degrees of outdatedness? ;)
Last edit: 22 Apr 2018 23:37 by cncn00b2018.

More
23 Apr 2018 00:07 - 23 Apr 2018 00:15 #109468 by cncn00b2018
I let the latency test run for a while. Did not have an OpenGL application at hand as suggested. What I did was play one 1080p video from USB, and another one 720p from IDE HDD at the same time, using 2 instances of VLC, for a few minutes.

The times given are:
Servo thread (1ms): max interval(ns) = 1005292, Max jitter (ns) = 11332
Base thread (25µs): max interval(ns) = 36137, Max jitter (ns) = 11788

So 12 µs jitter for a thread supposed to run at 25 µs intervals (?), that's pretty rubbish, right?

--
Btw, the GRUB menu doesn't let me select anything (cursor keys not active, the USB keyb worked before when installing and the mainboard "PS2 / USB" jumper is on USB).
Last edit: 23 Apr 2018 00:15 by cncn00b2018.

More
23 Apr 2018 02:41 #109475 by Todd Zuercher
Actually that is relatively good latency for most pcs.

More
23 Apr 2018 08:05 - 23 Apr 2018 08:06 #109482 by Desertboy
Newer doesn't mean better I had 5 times that latency on a core i7 and about the same on a coreduo.

The I7 was unusable even after I tweaked it following the forums posts.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2018 08:06 by Desertboy.

More
23 Apr 2018 19:26 #109504 by cncn00b2018
Mmmmkay, 50% period jitter on the 25µs thread is "not bad"? Maybe I misunderstand those numbers. And then again, I guess the question is "bad for what", I'm not a motor expert.

Btw, I needed to enable USB legacy support for GRUB to work with the USB keyboard, although it works everywhere else without that. Weird, but good to know.

More
24 Apr 2018 02:15 #109525 by InMyDarkestHour
I've just been messing around with a Asus A8N-Dleuxe rev 1.02, 2GB DDR400, Radeon HD 7400 card and got sub 10000 latency, if it's of any interest........a whole lot better than the same with a Nvidia card. That was running GLX gears and watching video with VLC over a SMB connection.

More
24 Apr 2018 19:00 #109560 by cncn00b2018
Someone mentioned problems with nVidia.

Well, the Athlon64 board I am now using has a GF7300GT or so in it, and you saw the results.
The on-board nvidia thingm, though, would be worse I guess, if there's some funny business going on with shared memory.

By the way, can / should one somehow enter this kind of information somewhere, so this hardware combination gets added to the list of compatible hardware?

More
27 Apr 2018 17:36 #109724 by uli12us
I had a similiar problem with a hp-laptop. I tried all but it doesn't run.
During installation it hangs and it seems, that the mouse wasn't recognized. I tried several cable and wireless mice, but all won't work.
In my case it was a too old linux-version together with the LCNC-DVD.
After I installed the recommended Linux-Mint 17 or 18 Version, it runs good, but the installation tooks much longer, than with the LCNC-DVD on an much older Atom Board.

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds