Debugging Window does not appear when launching LinuxCNC after a fresh install

More
20 Aug 2018 23:29 #116390 by Vitran
When I start up LinuxCNC, the error window doesn't pop up anymore to give guidance as to where a flaw in the code may be. Is there a way to get it back? Launching my configuration shows the LinuxCNC logo for a few seconds, then nothing. Is there some code I have to add or write to launch it?

I made a fresh install of Debian 9 with LinuxCNC following forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...n-debian-9BigJohnT's thread . I was adding code to make ClassicLadder launch on start up. Launching LinuxCNC, the loading picture showed then nothing. No debugging window. I later found the bug in my wiring of the launcher and got the ClassicLadder working as needed. I then made some other code changes but when launching, now just the LinuxCNC picture, then it disappears and nothing. No debugging window.

I can live without the debugging window if I know where the log of that text is saved, however the window is very nice.

I have since tested some LinuxCNC configs and they launch, but if there is an error to the .hal it doesn't bring up the error/debugging info window.

Note: I did post this same thread in the Installing LinuxCNC as I considered it a brand-new install bug, but that is likely the wrong forum thread. Not even sure if this is the right forum thread to post it in either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2018 04:24 #116391 by cmorley
I can't say what the window problem is - mostly because you don't show/explain what your code changes were.
But if you run linuxcnc from the terminal it probably will give you some idea of what is going wrong.

Chris M

More
21 Aug 2018 12:22 - 21 Aug 2018 12:23 #116397 by Vitran
The first error example I had was I wrote:
#loadsur -w classicladder custom.clp
When I launched LinuxCNC, it showed the icon image, then just shut down. As it was the only line I typed, I found my error and wrote:
#loadusr -w classicladder custom.clp
Then LinuxCNC launched correctly.
I then made a new configuration just for testing and did example errors such as duplicating pin sources. First I would make sure the LinuxCNC would launch without the error, then I would add an error to test the debugging window. Example error:
net min-x     <=  hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.input-01
net min-x     <=  hm2_5i25.0.7i77.0.0.input-02
This, as before, did not launch the debugging window.

I do not know the exact name of the window that pops up to show the kernel dump and the error information which makes it difficult to find information on it.

As is, if there isn't a fix for this soon I will likely install an older Debian or Wheezy or another OS that I used before to see if the bugfixing window will reappear.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2018 12:23 by Vitran.

More
21 Aug 2018 15:04 #116399 by BigJohnT
Master has a bug and does not show any error screen so until that is fixed launch from a terminal.

JT

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds